Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 25th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Senior Contributor

kittens ???

so a friend of mine found a pregnant kitty on the street all dirty and such a couple of weeks ago. she doesnt know much about cats doesnt have much time etc to watch her, so she asked if i could watch her and take care of her until she has her litter and its weened and ready to find homes. i said OK, since it was a black kitty and i know they can be hard to rehome and she was super preg i figured a shelter wouldnt be a great place for her so i took her in. was going to take her to the vet but before i could she had the kittens( she had them the day after i brought her home). she had 5. the birth went well, no complications or anything shes being a very good momma, called the vet said wait a couple of weeks before bringing her in if theres not signs of complications or illness.
shes doing great as are all of the kittens. i have been doing research every freee minute i can to try to stay as informed on kitten development as possible.
i was wondering what would be the best way of finding the kittens homes? should i work with a rescue? i know many of them are overwhelmed with cats. or can i do them myself? I have had a few people inquire about them but have told them no because they want to use them to catch mice, or want to declaw them. i already have told some people that are interested i wont let them go to homes that wont spay/neuter.
i was going to charge an adoption fee that would go directly to getting momma kitten spayed and shots up to date so she would easily be rehomed.

can i please get advice (no critisms pls, i just had her brought to me like this)

also i have been feeding her evo and i was told to give her an egg everyweek to help her while shes feeding? ( i didnt know if the was nec, because shes on such a high protein food)
Logan - Rescued Husky cross
Aiden- Rescued husky cross
Old December 26th, 2006, 06:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Whatever you do, do not allow rhem to be adopted by anyone before they are spayed or neutered. You camn charge a fee for the adoption to cover the cost but sad to say many ppl wil niot bother to neuter or spay. Do you have a clinic or vet who mighy help you given that you took them in as strays? You could try to find a good rescue but they too are inundated.

Draw up a contract with many stipulations. The ideal is 12 weeks for adoption but I know some rescues use the 8 wk period - any sooner and they do not have the social or other skills they need. They should also have their vaccinations before they go - you never know what you might find in other homes. You cuold ask various groups in your area to post a courtesy adoption notice. There are sample adoption contracts somewhere on this site - I'll look up ours for Siamese Rescue when I have time.

Good luck!!! Please do a home visit if you can - these are babies going to a new home and you want the best for them. (Unless it is someone you know really well, like family or your best friend in the world whose opinions about cat care you already know).

Post notices in vet offices, your work place, churches. Always charge a fee - NEVER EVER use that God awful free to good home. It's a sad dangerous world out there for cats when people who use kittens for snake food, for fighting dogs, will do anything to them, think that the person seeking to adopt homes for them does not value them enough to charge a fee.
Old December 26th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Here are the adoption rules for one of the chapters of Siamese rescues: (and if you think $150 is high, it cists S Rescue, often 10 X that for testing and vet care.) You may certainly want to charge less but please charge some fee!! Abd please have them see a vet before you place them!

Adoption fees for SCRC are $125 and include all of the vet work as listed. We offer reduced rate adoptions for Senior Citizens ($100). All of our cats are spayed or neutered prior to placement.
While we make a substantial effort to ensure the cats are healthy prior to placement, please understand that these are Rescue Cats from unknown backgrounds, and you need to be prepared for possible Medical and/or Behavioral issues that may arise after an adoption.
Interested adopters go through a careful screening process to include reference checks, telephone interviews, and where appropriate, home visits. No Siamese will be placed in a new home which allows cats to go outside. The adoptive owners agree to give the Siamese Cat Rescue Center Organization the option of reclaiming the cat, should the adoption not work to the advantage of the new owner and the cat.
No kitten will be placed until the kitten is at least 12 weeks of age as prescribed by the CFA.
Before adoption, cats and kittens are provided with the following basic vet care and other of nec:

Vet work provided

Blood tests for Feline Leukemia and Feline Aids
Spaying or Neutering
Thorough Vet Exam
Vaccines (as required)
Treatment for fleas, earmites and worms
Presurgical blood work where necessary, and dentals for older cats

Adoption Policies
Adoptive homes must keep all cats indoors
Existing cats within the home must be tested negative for both Feline Leukemia and FIV
Existing animals must be up to date on vaccines
Existing animals in the home must be spayed or neutered unless part of a licensed breeding program.
No Declawing is permitted, unless cat comes into the program already declawed.
No cats or kittens given as gifts, however, gift certificates towards an adoption are available
Applications are good for six months from date of approval, after that time a new interview and vet reference check will be required.
Households s may require a home visit.

Kitten Policies
Kittens are cats that are less than 6 months of age. If a kitten's age is unknown, it is determined by their weight. A 6 month old kitten should weigh at least 5 pounds.
Kittens may not go to a home with children 6 years of age or older or to a home with an infant child (Infants are defined as a child under 9 months of age).
An older kitten (one that is 6 months or older) may be placed in a home with toddlers (Toddlers are defined as children ages 9 months to 5 years of age.). We are better able to determine more about a kitten's personality when it is older, which helps us to make a better match for your family. Older kittens (6 months or older) are still very young and playful and likely will meet your family's desire for a kitten addition to your home, and an older kitten or cat will be better able to tolerate a certain amount of handling from younger children who are not yet capable of determining the fragility of a young kitten.
Kittens need playmates and if left alone all day without a companion cat can become lonely or bored which sometimes can lead to mischief. Kittens are placed only to homes that already have a cat or to homes where there is at least one family member who does not work outside the home. We recommend that kittens are either adopted as pairs or that the existing cat in the household be young enough to appreciate the playfulness of a kitten. Dogs may be considered as a companion animal for a kitten on a case by case basis. but typically, kittens will only be placed in homes with dogs after thorough screening and may require a home visit.

While we will consider the placement of kittens to homes with dogs on a case- by- case basis, those homes will require thorough screening and may also require a home visit. We will consider your dog's breed, weight, temperament and cat experience when making a decision regarding adoption approvals to homes with dogs.
Positive reporting is required; quarterly the first year, semi-annual second year, and annually for 3 more years. You may report the health and status of your kitty via digital photograph and email.
You must have a plan for your animals in case you predecease them. If not, we require a letter with your important papers authorizing their return to us. We have a form letter for your convenience.
If you are over 55, we require a devise in your will or proof of your plan for your animals' future should you predecease them.

Transportation Policies
We prefer to not ship Cats via air
No cats will be shipped in the cargo hold

Adoption Form: (may not look as is due to formatting changes)

Adoption Application Form
Instructions

There are four steps you will need to complete to fill out an Application:

Fill out the form
Submit the form (The submit button is at the bottom of this form)
Pay the Application Fee
Print out the Vet Reference if necessary
Senior Citizens have a reduced adoption fee. Remember to check the box if you are 60 or over.
NOTE: Massachusetts residents ask your interviewer about delivery limitations into your state!

Click on the Help Icon for detailed instructions.
Adoption Policies
Existing cats within the home must be tested negative for both Feline Leukemia and FIV.
All cats must be indoor only (unless on leash/harness).
All animals must be vaccinated per your Vet's protocols.
All animals in the home must be spayed or neutered unless part of a licensed breeding program.
Households may require a home visit.

Required fields are marked with a blue asterisk *. If no pets or children, please select NA as the option.

UserID: (Assigned upon completion of Application) Date:
Personal Information
Applicant(s) Senior Citizen (60 and over)
*First name: *Last name:
Co-Applicant
First name: Last name:
*Address:

*City:
*State: Alaska Alabama Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware DC Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming British Columbia Alberta Saskatchewan Manitoba Ontario Quebec New Brunswick Nova Scotia Prince Edward Newfoundland Yukon Territory NW Territory *Zipcode:
*Phone:
(w/area code) (xxx-xxx-xxxx) *Country:
Cell phone:
(w/area code) (xxx-xxx-xxxx) Work phone:
(w/area code) (xxx-xxx-xxxx)
*Email: Work email:
Vet Information
Check here if you have NOT had any pets in the past 6 months.
List your current Veterinarian, or the Veterinarian you plan to use.
Practice: Phone:
Address: Fax:
Email:
City:
State: Alaska Alabama Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware DC Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming British Columbia Alberta Saskatchewan Manitoba Ontario Quebec New Brunswick Nova Scotia Prince Edward Newfoundland Yukon Territory NW Territory Zipcode:
Pet Information
If you have no pets, please enter 0 or NA as necessary.
*Number of animals in household *Cats: *Dogs:
*Are your dogs/cats spayed/neutered? NA No Yes (Unless registered as a breeder with a recognized Breed Association)
*Have all of your cats tested negative for Feline Leukemia AND FIV? NA No Yes
*Do any of your cats go outside? NA No Yes
Family Information
If you have no children, enter 0 in those fields as necessary.
*Number of adults living in household:
*Number of children in household Check if any are 5 or under
*Home situation (Own/Rent): Own Rent Other
(If renting, attach a letter from landlord indicating pets are allowed) Number of times moved in the past 5 years:
Average number of hours a day someone is home:
Personal References (References can NOT be a Family Member)
(Providing email addresses for your References will expedite the proceess)
Reference #1
*Name: Email:
*Phone:
Best time(s) to contact Reference:

Reference #2
*Name: Email:
*Phone:
Best time(s) to contact Reference:
Misc Information
How did you hear about us?
Petfinder Google.com Yahoo.com Magazine Newspaper Television Flyer Vet Friends Other Other:
Comments:

By accepting and signing this application, I agree to hold SCRC harmless for any injuries, damages, liabilities, losses, judgments, costs or expenses whatsoever, which I might suffer or sustain in connection with my visits to SCRC. I understand that the SCRC Shelter and/or Foster homes house cats from unknown backgrounds. I assume all of the risks of being bitten, scratched, injured, or frightened by cats and/or kittens encountered during visits to these locations.

(If you are submitting this application online, you agree that the electronic submission of this application will be considered as your approval of the above stated paragraph, unless we are notified otherwise. )
Old December 26th, 2006, 12:23 PM
-

Rescues are full but you could maybe ask them if they could take the kittens under their rescue but offer to foster them ? That would help you with the vet cost and the kittens could get everything they need (shots and spay/neuter) before their adoption. And the potential adopters would get screen by the rescue ?
Old December 26th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Live well, laugh often

You are awesome for volunteering to look after this poor cat and her babies . Frenchy's idea sounds great. Good luck and I hope it all works well for you .
Old December 26th, 2006, 08:25 PM
-

I agree. I hope Frenchy's idea is acceptable. And, you are an angel.
Old December 26th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Does anyone know what london rescues i could call?
Old December 26th, 2006, 09:50 PM
-

You could go on petfinder and see the cats up for adoption in your area, it will give the the e-mail adresses and phone numbers of cat's rescues. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old December 30th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Senior Contributor

OK so i havent been able to get any rescues to work with me and the kittens yet but i have only called a couple, so ill try again starting on tues, however i have posted ads sayng accepting applicants for the kittens.
I have been asking questions about intent to spay/neuter, declawing, vaccinations, former pet experience, current pets, # and ages of children, reason for adopting (no gifts) . if the cat will be indoors or outdoors (only indoor accepted)
if they go to the vet within a week and there is a prob i will take the kitten back and give full refund (not sure how much to charge yet)
so far ive turned people i know down (making some relationships awkward)
1. a women i knew (co worker) wanted one but she wanted to use a cat for mouse catching i told her no buy a mouse trap and
2. i said no to my parents because they would declaw (they dont think its cruel)
I myself dont have the $$ to get all the vaccines etc, but plan to take them to the vet to get looked over.
would it be better to take them to the animal care centre? they do euthanize though. and the humane society says its full and is not accepting kittens and if they were i would pay fee for each kitten to surrender it because they can accept them as surrendered pets b/c they dont take in strays.
I really think i might not have made the best choice for these kittens but my friend knows nothing and didnt want to keep her around. so i took them in on a whim. i love momma cat shes a sweetheart, and the kittens are growing wonderfully (5 days old and doubled in size!) i really want to do what is best for the kittens and their momma.
i am thinking my best best is to place kittens in home with current or recent cat owner who can show proof of keeping vaccines upto date and proof of spay/neuter, so i can be more sure the kittens will be placed in good homes that will properly care for them
Old December 30th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Have you tried contacting the London Humane Society? THey don't euthanize healthy adoptable animals and require an application and reference check to adopt, my one cat Tipper came from them, he was found on the street as a stray had and upper respiratory infection at the time, he was treated feed neutered, vaccinated and then put up for adoption he was with then for 5 months before I adopted him, one girl often get dogs dumped on her country property including a couple females who were in late pregnancy she takes them in lets them deliver and tries to find homes for the ones she can the remainder and mom will go to the humane society to find new homes, The kittens will need to be vaccinated before going to new homes to prevent them from getting ill, the stress of going to a new home can really tax their immune systems so a must that they be vaccinated prior, of course like CyberKitten said ideally they should be spayed prior as well as some people will make promises to do so but will not follow thru , some vets will do for a reduced fee the humane society maybe able to direct to someone, if you can afford the costs, otherwise your better bet if you cannot find a rescue is to turn them over to the humane society for rehoming
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
Old December 30th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Senior Contributor

i was told that the london humane society doesnt accept in-city strays (something to do with the legal issues of the city pound or something? only out of town ones. ) I am going to contact them again on tues when there is management available to speak with. i am afraid of moving mom and kittens right away since they are comfortable in my home and i dont want to stress her out too much too soon, but ill talk with a manager at the LHS and see what arrangements can be made. the LHS is full at the moment as well, i am looking to do what is best for the animals.
Can I make $100 refundable adoption fee and they get the $$ back after spay/neuter. at the london spay neuter clinic it is 52$ for males and 80$ for females. that should pretty much garuentee that the cats will get spayed/neutered. plus i am hoping to find owners that have a cat already with all vaccines and spay/neuter so i will also be more certain that the owners are responsible.
the LHS isn't my favorite place and i would like to work with a different rescue if possible. that would be ideal. but the kittens are 5 days old so i am looking at all my options right now to find what is best for the kittens. i will be contacting the vets to see how much the first set of vaccines would cost for the kittens. does anyone have a rough idea???? i am getting attached to the cats and i am trying to put my heart and soul in to this, i cant believe you guys who foster on a reg basis it twould be heart wrenching!