Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 24th, 2010, 12:52 AM

Just started feeding raw.

I'm in another pets forum and they occasionally mention the RAW diet but I'm not 100% knowledgeable about it, so I have a few questions.

My dog is 35lbs at his healthy weight but right now he's maybe 45lbs max. How much food should I typically give him?

Tonight was his first supper with RAW and he seemed to really enjoy it. I gave him a meaty pork breast bone and three chicken hearts. Is this okay? Tomorrow I was planning on giving him half a liver for dinner (would this be enough?)

We just grabbed some things from the store as a trial run since he's been known to be picky about bones. We have chicken breasts (could I give him one as a meal?) chicken hearts, liver, and pork breast bone. I am going to pick up some tripe next time but what other kind of bones could I feed? Do I need to give a bone every meal?

Would I be able to feed bison and deer? I know I can feed rabbit. Are these high in fat, and roughly how much would I need to feed? I don't want to feed anything with high fat contents since my dog isn't very active.

I'm sorry for the question overload but I just want to do this properly.