Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old April 3rd, 2006, 02:14 PM
Lucy's daddy

BURNS Real Dog Food

I went to Ryan's Pet Food today and told them about my problem with Lucy.

Lucy no longer likes the food she's been on. The guy at Ryan's said that she hasn't been missing anything as Nutrience is one of the crappiest brands out there.

He recommended BURN's Real Dog Food over Solid-Gold.

I gave Lucy a sample of the food and she loved it, so I bought a 4.4lbs bag for $20(very very expensive food).

I don't mind the cost as Lucy only eats 1/3 of a cup everyday(if she does!), but I'm still not sure whether I should trust all these recommendations. The ingredients in most premium foods look the same but at the same time I hear horror and happy stories about all of them.

Is BURNS a good brand? It's made in the USA but the original producer is a vet in the UK. I did a bit of research and found nothing negative about them.

Does anyone approve or disapprove of this brand? It's a very expensive food so I don't want to waste money thinking I'm giving my dog good food while she's really not eating the stuff she should.

Thanks.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 04:39 PM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

Hit the dog food forum Soroush or wait till Prin sees this thread and replies She's the food goddess! I personally adore Solid Gold Wolf King as do both my doggies, if their coats and skin condition weren't endorsement enough, my Pointer darn near herds me to the pantry if I'm more than 30 seconds late with dinner.

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old April 3rd, 2006, 05:28 PM
-

I hadn`t heard of Burns Real Dog Food so I went to their website. They use chicken instead of chicken meal. I think both Solid Gold Wolf King and Timberwolf Organics are better. Alot of people in this forum use Wolf King and love it. I just switched to Timberwolf Organics and think it`s great. If you want to check their websites they are:

www.solidgoldhealth.com
www.timberwolforganics.com

But the bottom line is what Lucy likes and does well on.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 06:08 PM

I also went to their website (www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk), and it looks like not only do they use chicken instead of chicken meal, it's not even first on their ingredient list before cooking. I'd be worried that there's not enough meat, but like rainbow said, it's whatever Lucy likes and does well on.

Have you ever tried Merrick (www.merrickpetcare.com)? It's what I feed and absolutely love it. Solid Gold is a great food, but my dogs didn't want anything to do with it (then again, Mocha's a ridiculously picky eater). All three get dry Wilderness Blend and Panna and Cannelle get various canned food mixed in (Mocha hates any moisture in her food...). Everything's human grade and they just started using organic chicken in their dry formulas that contain chicken last month. The improvement has been amazing and they LOVE it.

Good luck!

Last edited by chocolatecoffee; April 3rd, 2006 at 06:09 PM. Reason: fixed links
Old April 3rd, 2006, 08:27 PM

Yeah, it's kinda weird that they admit (and seem to brag a bit) about how much rice is in their food. One formula is 65% rice... Kinda weird... The meats in all their foods drop down below all the others..., Of all of them, I like the fish and the venison ones the best, but neither is as good as the Timberwolf Organics, and frankly, even though Wolf King is grainy, I still like my meat to be #1...

Their fish one has fish and fish oil, so the dog would get quite a bit of Omega 3, but the rest, with their animal oils would probably have a lot of saturated fats, which are definitely not as nutritious as fish oil (too much saturated fat is bad, as we all know).

"Real" food shouldn't have beet pulp either, as their active and maternity foods do.. I dunno... Nothing really special about this food, sorry.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 10:20 PM
Performance Spaniels

I have no helpful opinion on the food itself. I just wanted to add that I wouldn't take anyone's opinion who works at a pet food store. Even one that sells the high quality brands. At Ryan's and at Pet Valu I've been told by multiple sales people I shouldn't feed any of the brands that are considered to be top ones.. including solid gold, wellness and others. They've tried to push the products they apparently feed their doggies. And everything I've looked at had scary or at least lacking ingredients lists.
Short of doing research myself, I've given up on people's opinions in real life.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 10:38 PM
Lucy's daddy

Thanks a lot for the replies.

The bag is going back to Ryan's Pet Foods tomorrow eventhough I've opened it. I've had enough of this crap. They just wanna sell you the most expensive thing available and most people(including me) are stupid enough to believe them.

I'm just gonna tell them that Lucy hates the food and is very hungry. They have this guarantee of the dog liking the food or your money back.