Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old February 28th, 2011, 05:58 PM

Newb checking in, husky owner with questions

Looks like a great forum, thanks for having it!
Old February 28th, 2011, 07:45 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Welcome to the board, akaJenT! When you get a chance, we'd love to see a few pics of your husky.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 28th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Welcome to the board.
Huskies...such beauties! But we will require a quick peek at them.
Old March 1st, 2011, 12:11 AM

Here she is when we got her
Attached Images

Old March 1st, 2011, 12:16 AM

a week ago

I came close to finding a home for them in the mountains because where I live the leash laws are IMPOSSIBLE, they are so RIGID out here and these two need to RUN. We've already paid hundreds in fines because I just don't believe dogs have to be on a leash at ALL times if they're friendly, and these two totally are.

But I think I've finally got it licked. I've created a dog sled from an old bike. These two have been pulling my arms off because they're bred to pull, and when they see a cat I literally FLY trying to hold them back. But now they're attached to my "dog sled" on wheels and it's so funny, I harness them in the garage and get all ready for launch, and then push the button on the new garage door and we come flying out. We must look hilarious from the street. They FLY up the hill and I ride the brakes a lot, but it works. And they're EXHAUSTEDLY happy when we get home. They pretty much go where they want except I keep them off the street. Finally a legal way to exercise them. Whew.
Attached Images

Last edited by akaJenT; March 1st, 2011 at 12:30 AM.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 03:43 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

What a sweetie! Glad you found a solution to keep them exercised. How do you steer, though? hazel would likely end up wrapped around the tree at the end of the drive...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 2nd, 2011, 03:49 PM

Hi I am new here too and I have a labsky. He is full of energy and I know what you mean by flying...Hank is 5 months and can pull me around the block easily. We are very lucky that there are several dog parks with great terrain to let him run wild. He has the husky run down for sure and it's great to see him go full tilt! I can't wait until it warms up and we can get away to the mountains!
Old March 2nd, 2011, 05:30 PM
Senior Contributor

akaJenT,I would love to see that,maybe someone can video-tape you..
There was a time when I was not too fond of Huskys,but since I have gotten to know a few,there are 2 on my street,I love those beautys
I would imagine there are not an abundance of Huskys in Cali,because of the heat..
Old March 3rd, 2011, 04:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi

Welcome to the forum!! Love your pups!

How old are your pups now cause don't u have to wait until their bones are developed before u can have them pull too much weight? Am I remembering that wrong?

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old March 22nd, 2011, 05:32 PM

oh! answers!

Thanks for the responses. I'll have to bookmark the site.

In answer to how old they can be, Rufio is just over one year old and really does all the pulling. Dog sledding books say start them at 6 mo to any age. The reason I got my bikesled together was because if I walk them with a leash THEY TAKE OFF AND I GO FLYING!!! AAAAAGH!!!!!! The landings are not fun!!! So this has been an awesome answer, on the "bike" (really) he doesn't have to pull too hard, I'm sure he's thrilled to be able to RUN. Last week though I took them to the horse trails and he came crashing back out of the woods with a limp, so now when I take them I still get on the bike but I yell "EASY" at them instead of "HIKE" and make them go at a walking pace. We'll do this until I'm sure he's totally healed. This way they are not pulling me at all, but he still tries to pull just like he would if I was walking with a leash. The beauty of the bikesled is it's really a control feature. The brakes together with the weight of the bike and myself are just enough to hold them back. We're all so happy now!

Most of California is hot but not where I live. And I'm glad my cousin didn't take them in Oregon because when it poured the other day, oh my gosh, you would think Huskies wouldn't even notice, but not my two. I had to coax them out in the rain to make sure they didn't wake me up in the middle of the night with a nature call emergency

God is good! Now if only they would stay out of the sludge by the bay...
Old March 22nd, 2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
akaJenT,I would love to see that,maybe someone can video-tape you..
There was a time when I was not too fond of Huskys,but since I have gotten to know a few,there are 2 on my street,I love those beautys
I would imagine there are not an abundance of Huskys in Cali,because of the heat..
Huskies seem to love to act ferocious but it's all an act with my Bell. And she's such a small Husky its not so scarey. Rufio acts more like a Rottweiller, thank goodness, cause he's a monster.

They're not my favorite breed, they are high maintenance because they REALLY NEED to run and Rufio digs something awful, he's obsessed with digging up gophers which horrifies me cause I find them on my porch. I would have preferred a couple of Lassie-like collies like I had before, but they really are excellent dogs.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 05:38 PM

In front of my gate, heh
Attached Images

Last edited by akaJenT; March 22nd, 2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old March 22nd, 2011, 07:17 PM

My son made this one from Rufio's picture when he was a pup
Attached Images

Old March 22nd, 2011, 08:30 PM

Welcome akaJenT what a couple of beauties
Old March 23rd, 2011, 07:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Beautiful
Love the pic of"scary"Rufio"..
The sign on your gate with"please do not let out"would worry me a little,some jerk would take that as an invitation to let the puppers out..
Old March 23rd, 2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Beautiful
Love the pic of"scary"Rufio"..
The sign on your gate with"please do not let out"would worry me a little,some jerk would take that as an invitation to let the puppers out..
Thanks chico. I see your point. I just have to hope that photoshopping Rufio to be about the size of the doorway would discourage that. My house looks like a compound, gone are the days of my sweet little picket fence. We even had to top off the tall walls with wire leaning inward, like a prison camp Rufio can jump over just about anything. He always came back but my neighbors see dogs as having coodies (sigh)