Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old February 4th, 2007, 03:15 PM

Help evaluating dog sitter

First hello, I am new to this site.
I have an 11-week old GS - a real sweetheart! I do travel and found a lady on craigslist (www.craigslist.org) who I visited last week and seemed fine. First impression was pretty good although it was a cloudy, dreary day which always detracts from an overall good feeling. She advertised to watch dogs at her home along with her two dogs. She said she owned her home and it checked out OK after confirming with the assessor's web site. She also provided a reference and the people sounded nice and sincere. When I visited the house, her two dogs seemed very happy, and she took the time to introduce them to my puppy one at a time.

This seems like the perfect place for my puppy to be looked after when I travel, my problem is I am so paranoid someone could steal her! She's a beautiful dog, and in the couple of weeks she's been here I have become most attached to her. I am always afraid someone will use her to breed her in a puppy mill.

Could you offer some suggestions of maybe a contract or what safeguards I could implement? She does seem very nice, but I'm a bit paranoid. Your thoughts welcome!

Regards,
Martha
Old February 4th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Senior Contributor

If it would make you feel better, get your dog microchipped and her ear tattooed. It might make her slightly less attractive to ignorant dognappers.
Spay her dog as early as possible. Spayed females are of no use to a mill or a byb. At 11 weeks, she has a bit of a wait!
As for the woman, all you can do is try it. Maybe have a dry run at the weekend. Drop by unannounced, to see how things are going. If she's offended, she might not be the right person.
Ask her if she is bonded or if she is willing to be bonded. I have no idea what bonding entails - someone enlighten me - but it would indicate a certain seriousness.
Old February 4th, 2007, 05:48 PM

I would just rather leave my dog with somebody I know or somebody who was referred to me by somebody I trust.
Old February 5th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Remembering Lukka

I also think I would be nervous at leaving my dog with someone I don't know, even if she does advertise as a qualified pet sitter. I mean she is self proclaimed right,
you didn't get her name from a vet or close friend.
I am lucky in that I don't have to worry about Lukka being on her own as my hubby works day shift and I work evenings, so she almost never spends time away from us.
I don't think a contract would do much to ease your mind about someone stealing her Martha.
Could you not hire someone that would come and sit at your own home? You might already know that person but since the situation has never come up before you just never broached the subject. Try running it by some of your
acquaintances, or you could get names from your vet, perhaps the school that your pup will go to for obedience
training knows someone that house sits.
Good luck and welcome.
Can't wait to see a picture of your little girl.
Old February 8th, 2007, 02:58 AM
Live well, laugh often

Welcome. I would check with your vet. Many vets and/or their staff also do boarding or can recommend someone trustworthy.