Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old September 20th, 2001, 07:20 PM

kerry blue terrie

HI, I'm looking for some information about this breed of dog, I am a stay at home mom with three children and my husband and I are trying to decide between a pure bred dog or a cross breed. My husband refuses to get a Poodle, and I was interested in getting a breed that did not shed so much, this breed fits the bill. Do you have any other suggestions on other types of dogs that do not shed, or possible a poodle mix..... I have been trying to get as much information as I can from the internet but this is very time consuming,,, This is a very important decision to us and we want to make the right choice,,,

Thankyou for your time.
Crystal Meade.
Old May 15th, 2002, 05:13 PM

Lightbulb Reply

Hey!

Since I'm highly allergic to dogs I have done a lot of reaseach in this area and can point you to a few differn't breeds that may suit you.

I know your onto curly breeds (Poodles and Kerry's). You could also consider a soft coated wheaten terrier, bedlington terrier, or a bicon frise.

Other breeds have hair that is similer to humans. They will shed, but only when being brushed as we lose hair when we do. Some of these breed's include the Afghan hound, Yorshire Terrier, Maltese, Lhasa Apso, Silky Terrier, Scottish Terrier, or, Shih Tsu.

There are also other low shedding breeds that have a more wirery dense hair that only has to be shaved every few months. This includes the Appenpinser, Schnauzer, Airdale Terrier, Welsh Terrier, Brussels Griffon, Wire Fox Terrier, and West Highland White Terrier.

You could also consider no hair at all. This includes the mexican hairless, or the Hairless Chinese creasted (although it does have hair on its feet head and tail).

Another option is a corded coat such as the Puli or the Komondor. When these dogs shed, they only drop a cord or two, so you don't have to worry about hair all over the house, but mind you, they do take a lot of grooming.

I don't have any other breeds off the top of my head, but I'm sure I could find more for you if you e-mailed me at sickening_sweet@hotmail.com

-Amy