Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 18th, 2007, 12:44 PM
-

Purina has voluntarily recalled their Mighty Dog pouch products:

Purina to Voluntarily Withdraw Mighty Dog(R) 5.3 Ounce Pouch Products in Response to Menu Foods Recall

No other Purina products affected

ST. LOUIS, March 16 /PRNewswire/ -- Nestle Purina PetCare Company today announced that as a precautionary measure, it is voluntarily withdrawing
its 5.3 ounce Mighty Dog(R) brand pouch products that were produced by Menu Foods, Inc. from December 3, 2006 through March 14, 2007.

This withdrawal is in response to the recall initiated earlier today by Menu Foods, a contract manufacturer that does limited business with Purina as well as with other pet food manufacturers. Only Mighty Dog 5.3 ounce pouch
products are being withdrawn by Nestle Purina, including those pouches contained in multi-packs.

Importantly, no Mighty Dog canned products, or any other Purina products are affected by Menu's recall.

While Purina has no indication of any product quality or safety issues specifically related to our Mighty Dog pouch products, Purina is taking this proactive action out of an abundance of caution in response to the Menu Foods recall.

Consumers who have the indicated Mighty Dog 5.3 ounce pouch products should discontinue feeding them to their dogs and can receive the full replacement value of the withdrawn products by calling 1-800-551-7392.

The Mighty Dog pouch products and pouches in multi-pack cartons have code dates of 6337 through 7073, followed by the plant code 1798.

This information is located on the bottom or back panel of the pouches or cartons. Specifically, if the code following the "Use By" date begins with four numbers from 6337 to 7073 followed by the plant code 1798, then the pouch is included in this voluntary withdrawal.

Purina regrets any inconvenience and apologizes for any concern caused by this product withdrawal. The Company will continue to take any and all actions necessary to ensure the quality and safety of our products.
Old March 18th, 2007, 12:48 PM
-

CBC Story re Pet Food Recall

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/business/070318/b031802A.html
Old March 18th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Smokey's Mum

rawr

they regret the inconvienence! their pet dies and they call it an inconvienence!!!! im srry for ur kitty
Old March 18th, 2007, 01:25 PM

I know, I saw that and cringed too. And the part about refunding the purchase price? A little insignificant, don't you think? :sad:
Old March 18th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

My parents called me this morning to ask what we feed Jesse because they are worried about her. I asked them if they think I didn't already know about it and if they actually think I fed Jesse that stuff? They said well you sister feeds her dog Iams and she is now worried and my parents feed their dog -- ready for this -- Mighty Dog in the can. I called them and told them Mighty Dog was added to the list and they may want to homecook for a little while. I then sent them a link to Merrick. hehe. Maybe I can get them to switch during this.

Icy, I'm really sorry for your loss and to any others who have lost any pets from this.
Old March 18th, 2007, 01:55 PM
-

Jesse's Mommy, has your sister or parents fed any of the recalled ones? I hope not and that their doggies are okay.
Old March 18th, 2007, 01:57 PM
-

I am so upset about this major recall. It is going to affect so many poor dogs and cats. :sad: And, it's only just begun.
Old March 18th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Rainbow the sad fact about my sister and mom is that they are really really stupid when it comes to their pets. With that said, I have no idea if they fed the contaminated food to their dogs. Knowing what I do about my sister and my mom is that they probably won't even know how to read if the codes on the bags to find out and won't even put any effort forth to learn. They will just cause a huge dramatic scene about the food they feed and make people feel sorry for the whether they fed it or not. :sad: No matter how much I preach to them, it does no good. My words are useless to them.

(If you haven't guessed I'm the "black sheep" of the family. Apparently I'm too opinionated. )
Old March 18th, 2007, 02:44 PM

Yeah, my dad was feeding President's choice for a while.
Old March 18th, 2007, 02:51 PM

Jesse's mommy, it's so sad that you're the black sheep. Maybe it's the white ones that are the baddies after all.
Old March 18th, 2007, 03:54 PM
-

Nothing wrong with being the black sheep when the rest of the family doesn't treat their pets as part of it. My family thinks I'm overly obsessed with my furkids and I don't really care.
Old March 18th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Senior Contributor

I've been reading as much as I can about this,my cats get a mixture of canned food,anything from Wellness,Nutro or even Fancy Feast(now by Purina)
I saw Nutro mentioned,but not Fancy Feast,however it seems they only recalled sliced food,with gravy...my cats only eat the pate kind.
Still,I am getting something different tomorrow and they'll get the Wellness can tonight,although they are not too crazy about it..
OMG,you never know,do you??
Old March 18th, 2007, 04:15 PM
-

So it's only the wet food right ?
Old March 18th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes,that's what I understand and only the slices or chunky food,in gravy
Old March 18th, 2007, 04:16 PM

So far, but they keep adding to the list.
Old March 18th, 2007, 04:21 PM
-

Monsieur le chat is on Nutro Natural Choice (kibble) as long as they don't recall kibble
Old March 18th, 2007, 06:06 PM

It sounds as if the kibble is safe from any brand . If it is a wheat fungus it likely needs moisture to survive .But who knows for sure ? It might be best to buy from a smaller company that packages their own products ,at least for a while.
Some brands are Wellness,Evolve,Natural balance and there are many others.These brands are in more stores all the time but I know you can find them at Global/Ryans and Petvalue to name a couple.
Old March 18th, 2007, 06:31 PM

Good idea, Seeker.
Old March 18th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Owned by goldens

Pet food recall

This morning I went to the store where I buy my dog food in the U.S. The owner told me the food affected also includes kibble. She told me she heard that corn gluten was responsible. She may have said wheat gluten but I don't remember

Hills has voluntary pulled some of their foods off the shelves. Purina has done the same. Hills by the way makes Prescription Diet foods sold by vets.
Menufoods makes food out of Ontario as well as Pennsylvania. I know this because I have a relative that used to work in the rendering of dead animals business. He told me they used to supply the meat from the downed animals to Menufoods in Pennsylvania up until about 2 years ago.
Old March 18th, 2007, 06:40 PM

EEK! That's good to know, Coppper. :sad:
Old March 18th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Owned by goldens

Pet food recall

After I bought my dog food I decided to visit Petsmart which if you don't know is a large chain in the U.S (maybe other parts of Canada but not in Quebec). I was curious how they were handling the recall and was surprised to see all the food on the shelves as if nothing had been recalled. There were no signs whatsoever. There was even a representative from Nutro promoting the food. I also checked out Walmart and they had a huge stack of Ol Roy in the middle of the aisle.

I watched the news tonight and some other chains are at least putting up signs letting the customers know of the problems but Petsmart wasn't.
Old March 18th, 2007, 07:13 PM

That's sad. Buyer be really aware. :sad:
Old March 18th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Icy
I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty .
My heart goes out to you.
Old March 18th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

I just checked and we bought some PC. on the website it's only in the pouches of our brand not the can.Not taking a chance of feeding it.i wish my girl wasn't a picky eater.
Old March 18th, 2007, 08:24 PM

Pet Food Recall

Hi, I'm new to this forum and wanted to let people know about my situation. I have 3 dogs but just recently lost my 4th to bladder cancer. While she was sick, I searched for different types of food to keep her appetite going. At the end of January, I purchased Nutro Natural Choice because she wasn't interested in the homemade food I normally gave them. My biggest mistake! One of my other dogs was a very finicky eater and I decided to give her some of this food. She ate it for a few days and then tired of it. I had given a little to one of my other dogs, off and on. When I brought the two of them in for their annual health check and blood work, my finicky eater (Honey) was in moderate kidney failure and the one that I gave this food to off and on (Pepper) was just past the normal range. This was mid February. I put my dog that was in moderate kidney failure on a special kidney diet that I make myself. I had her tested again and her number dropped from 2.6 to 1.9. This does not mean that the kidneys are healing, once the numbers go above normal, there is permanent damage. The reason the numbers have dropped with her is because I am feeding foods that have made it easier on the kidneys. Meanwhile, the vet told me to continue the other dog on her regular food. She used to be a big eater, ate from sunrise and on. I've noticed that she started getting stomach-upset and no longer eats in the morning. Of course, after finding out about this food Saturday...I have started making home-made dog food for her again. I will be bringing her to the vet Monday to have an in-house blood panel done to see if her kidneys are any worse off since she has been on this food for so long. I have talked to another pet sitter who said that one of her client's dogs has suddenly started urinating heavily and drinking constantly. This dog has also eaten this food. I recommended to her to contact her client to get this dog into the vet immediately. I think these companies are possibly down-playing the seriousness of this food problem. The guy at the pet store informed me that it is samonilla (sp?) poisoning. I've gone to several pet food sites that are involved in this recall and they ALL say that their food is not connected to any reports of illness or death of pets. My question is....then who's food is it? I don't expect any of them to come forward but we all need to get our pets to the vets if they have eaten any of this food if they show any symptoms at all.

Thanks for listening....
Old March 18th, 2007, 09:55 PM

Good luck with your doggies.

But I think you're right. It would be very reputation-damaging if they admitted it was a major problem, so it's not likely they'll be upfront and honest about it.
Old March 18th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Icy, I'm sooooooo saddened to hear your story :sad: .

I just bought my cat a pouch of the PC tuna last week, for a TREAT! Now i'm panicking. Does anyone know how much of this stuff could make your pet sick?

My dog had not been eating well and I had given her the PC pouches now and then to try and entice her to eat, she passed away a month and a half ago - a serious infection and liver problems were what we thought let to her illness but maybe it was related to this. This is soooooo horrible!

Why don't we have the same standards and testing for pet food as human food . If this was a human food issue we'd be in a state of emergency!! I would have thought anything that my pets ate would have been safe for human consumption, boy was I wrong! (not that I make a habit of eating pet food or anything).
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old March 18th, 2007, 11:05 PM

I would just talk to your vet.
Old March 18th, 2007, 11:22 PM

Today was kind of a crazy day.

Most of you know that one of my jobs is as a holistic pet food representative. As of today, we got a HUGE list of foods that were recalled. And since it's all higher quality (and holistic) foods, we don't carry much of what's on the list (Iams, Eukenuba, Etc). And the ones that we do carry, were manufactured at plants that our foods did not come from (so we were still able to sell them). The only one that we had to pull was Nutro (which is fine by me... I'd rather not carry that crap anyway).

Currently there is a HUGE recall on Go! Natural, but what most people didn't realize (or at least the ones who came into the store today) is that Go!'s head office is in Abbotsford BC, but the plant is in Alberta. The ones recalled were all coming from Texas (from a plant who recalls their foods once every few years). And of course any other food which was made in that specific plant, were also on the recall list (as it is every time).

There's a lot of "behind the scenes" garbage going on here, and most of the recalls are a precaution only. So don't freak out YET, and be damn well sure you KNOW, without question, where your pet's food comes from.
Old March 19th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Senior Contributor

pet food

Bought my guys 6 cans of Ol'Roy (turkey & bacon cuts in gravy) from Walmart last week as a special treat. So thankful I haven't fed it to them yet since this is one of the culprit brands. From now on will be cooking all their future wet foods. Never again will I trust canned pet foods manufacturers since they seem so blase over these pet's deaths.