Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old January 18th, 2005, 11:39 PM

Cool Hi Guys & gals!!

Just came accross this site by luck and was reading some of the postings and I was glad to see there is such a site where people can post comments, ask questions and generally talk about dogs in general.

I have been rescuing dogs for 10 years and will remain amazed at how many people give up their dogs for the stupidest reasons. I think I've heard them all at this point. The big thing right now is dumping the pitbulls. I had placed one a while back, when Ontario passed their law, and she is being returned this week. I honestly believe it has to do with the by-law they are passing (or passed) in St-Leonard. This dog was adopted to a truly 100% italian family and I get the feeling the parents convinced her to dump the dog before she gets too attached. It is so sad, as this dog, Xena, is such a sweetheart. If anyone knows pitbull lovers who want to help this girl, go toSophie's Dog Adoptions.
Old January 19th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Hello there and welcome!! I've never seen your site before. Do you do this on your own?

Xena is a beautiful girl. Is she listed on Petfinder anywhere? If not, I can put her on my site and get her more exposure.
Old January 21st, 2005, 03:50 PM
Senior Contributor

I cant see the pic. Has she been adopted?
Old January 21st, 2005, 05:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Luvmypit, you can see Xena here;
http://sophie.rimasec.net/modules.ph...article&sid=56

Poor baby. She's got great ears!!
Old January 24th, 2005, 07:55 AM

good luck

Just to let you know Ontario has not passed the law concerning pitbulls.We are still writing government and protesting.So maybe let your family know,there is a very good chance the law will not be passed in orignal form.Tell them to get involved the CKC,OSPCA and many others are all organising protests and letter writing campaigns.
Old January 24th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Thumbs up

She is a beauty. If I had my house already I would take her. I plan to rescue a dog when the house is ready. I just hope Capone will be ok with it. He hasnt shown an inkling of dog or human aggression so we will see. I hope she finds a home soon.
Old January 24th, 2005, 11:05 PM

Xena

HI all, thanks for the replies. I'm having a hard time finding this forum. I had to "search" Xena in order to find where I last wrote. I am not very "computer" challenged, especially when it comes to forum groups and chat rooms. Hope I can find this place again!! Is there a name to this page so I can find it easily? I know, this probably sounds dumb and my son would be so embarrassed if he saw what I was asking.....
Old January 24th, 2005, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil'RickyMom
HI all, thanks for the replies. I'm having a hard time finding this forum. I had to "search" Xena in order to find where I last wrote. I am not very "computer" challenged, especially when it comes to forum groups and chat rooms. Hope I can find this place again!! Is there a name to this page so I can find it easily? I know, this probably sounds dumb and my son would be so embarrassed if he saw what I was asking.....
Welcome to the group!
You have it listed as Hi Guys & gals!! on Introduce yourself here.
Old January 25th, 2005, 12:31 AM

Thanks. So everytime I want to check I go to Introduce yourself here? That's kind of weird, but hey... I'll get the hang of this eventually. LOL
Old January 25th, 2005, 01:59 AM

Boozhoo (Greetings)

Welcome To the Board,I hope you enjoy your stay and dont worry about not being an expert on your computer neither am I.

This is the best forum on the net as far as im concerned and has made me into a much better pet owner.Hope you enjoy your time here.
Old January 25th, 2005, 04:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Hello lilrickys mom and welcome

Here is what you do

Type in the address url

www.pets.ca/forum

that will bring you directly to the message board, then

click on favorites at the top in your browser ( small rectangular space up at the top of the page also says search, mail etc.)

After you have clicked on favorites click on the word ADD (there will be a space that asks what you would like to name this favorite take note or change the title)
this will save the page for future finding so that when you log onto the internet all you have to do is open the favorites file and go to the pets ca forum and
wala you will be here.
On the front are ares of interest .....you posted in introduce yourself.
It's like a family tree you click on one area of interest and it opens up all the threads (topics people have started).

Its early I have not had my coffee yet but I hope that helps a little
Old January 25th, 2005, 03:38 PM

Thanks for the info

Thanks to all for the welcome and the help. I've figured out the save in my favorites part, so that's how I keep coming back!!

Could anyone tell me what they think my Xena is mixed with? I know she's got some American Staffordshire, but those ears??? I am placing her as a mix, but it would be nice to have an idea of what mix. My thoughts are Bull Terrier or maybe Jack Russel? Any thoughts anyone? You can see her (and her foster brother LiL'Ricky) at http://sophie.rimasec.net/xena She is a doll!!

Also, is there a way to post pictures of my foster dogs occasionally on here? I have seen pictures, but haven't figured out how to do the same

Thanks
Old January 25th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

when you post....

you will see a part where it says manage attachments, that's how you upload a pic.
Old January 25th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Senior Contributor

And you will find that when you press post reply, underneath where you type your post it says additional options, just make sure you have a program that can size the picture small enough to post, not 100% sure but I believe it must be 100kb or less?
Old January 27th, 2005, 12:18 AM

pic upload

Thanks. Will try that when I get a chance. Got a job for the next 3 weeks, so will be busy.
Old January 27th, 2005, 06:59 AM

Happy to help.

Thought I would help you out Lil'RickyMom.
They are adorable.
LOL I think Lil'Ricky is the big one.
Attached Images

Old January 27th, 2005, 01:23 PM

Xena & Lil'Ricky

Thanks - yup Lil'Ricky is the big white guy, and Xena is my little Pittie Girl! Aren't they just adorable? And they LOVE each other!! Please help me find them a home!!!
Old January 27th, 2005, 01:42 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

LOL........I think Xena is part elephant..."Dumbo"!! Those ears are huge!!! What a cutie and LilRicky is a cutie pie too!!

Welcome to the board!!!
Old January 27th, 2005, 09:51 PM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

Hi

I met Little Ricky (and his mom) last summer. Little Ricky was one of the litter born under her kitchen table (rescue who turned out to be pregnant). She does great rescue work, all on her own.

Welcome, glad you found this site. You can call me too,if you need some help negotiating your way around here.
Old January 30th, 2005, 06:44 PM

Thanks Goldengirl

That's a nice compliment. I try to do the very best I can, but I don't want to grow as there are too many dogs and just one of me. Been trying to find foster homes and volunteers, but it is very hard.

Does anyone know what to look for in a pregnant dog? My Xena's nipples seem to be getting swollen at the base (kind of like milk would be forming?). They did seem much bigger than I remembered when she first came around, but now I find they're looking different even. Her belly doesn't seem to be getting bigger, but I am wondering if she could be just a couple of weeks. She's been here one week now, and say she got pregnant the week before she arrived? Would I see signs at all? Please if someone knows what to look for, let me know. When Angel arrived, she had 1 week to go. Couldn't miss that she was pregnant!!! Looked like she was going to bust!!

I sure hope this little Pittie Girl isn't pregnant. I'm having a hard time placing one, imagine a whole litter. I am probably just being silly. The girl was supposed to haver her spayed by november, but then the car broke down, couldn't get there till after New Year, and ended up bringing her back. Starting to make me wonder.

If anyone wants to see a whole bunch of pictures of her, go to http://sophie.rimasec.net/xena I uploaded a whole bunch. She is just too adorable.
Old February 1st, 2005, 04:17 PM

Your vet can check for puppies either manually or with ultra sound if early enough in pregnancy maybe spaying her would be better than risking losing her through complications ,it may be easier on her if she was bred with something much larger than her,good luck
Old February 1st, 2005, 04:55 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

oh dear

Canine gestation lasts approximately 63 days. Signs of pregnancy include an increase in appetite, weight and nipple size. However, a bitch with false pregnancy may also show these signs. A veterinarian can usually confirm a pregnancy through abdominal palpitation at 28 days, or by using ultrasound or X-rays.

Hope you are wrong and it's just a false pregnancy or she's coming into heat!
Old February 1st, 2005, 11:07 PM

Heat cycle

I am hoping she is just coming into heat. The base of her nipples is getting bigger every day, just like she is growing breasts. I've never had a female go in heat I my place, had some already in full heat, but not enough experience with females to know if this is the way it usually is.

Hopefully that's all it is. Her nipples are huge as on most pitbulls I've seen on the street (always felt bad as I thought they had had litters), and the skin being so thin, maybe the breasts swell up. I sure hope so!!!!!!!!! Will definitely keep you posted on the situation.

If she is pregnant, I really feel strongly about aborting her. I feel it is hard enough to place her without having a litter of pitbull X. Any feedback on this guys? I need all the advice I can get on this one (if there are babies in there). I feel putting them in this crazy world of pitbull haters, would not be doing them a favor. I am certainly not for euthanasia, don't any of you get me wrong, but reality has to set in at one point.

I do want your opinions, one way or the other. Thanks
Old February 2nd, 2005, 12:18 PM

I think you are right about if she's pregnant,not only because of her breed.At least once she is spayed you can place her.What you are describing does not usually happen with being in heat.Usually false pregnancy happens after she's been in heat.Does the person you placed her with know when she was in heat or if she had access to a male?
Old February 2nd, 2005, 12:43 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

get her spayed

I suggest you go ahead and book her in for spaying asap. That way if she is pregnant, she's hopefully not too far along. It's a tough decision but as you well know, there are too many unwanted dogs out there as it is. Best of luck with this situation.
Old February 2nd, 2005, 07:03 PM

Spaying Xena

I did book her, but unfortunately there is no room until March 7th. Not sure if that might be too far. I don't have a discount vet (as I'm not an "official" rescue) so I deal with Vanier College - but they are very busy these days. Tried to get one for Feb. 7 or the 21, and both days were full. So I'm just hoping.....

I'm glad some of you feel the same way. I hate having to think of doing this, but as I've been saying for 10 years, "we can't save them all", and I feel it would be a mistake to let her have pups.

Thanks for all the encouragement guys.

Also, there is a little poodle, 3-4 yrs, old, who was recently rescued from a so-called rescuer (that I have been tracking for 4 years now - unfortunately there are no laws to shut her down) last week-end. He is very afraid of people, having been badly neglected while in her care, but very sweet. Not a fear biter, just hides in corners. No pix yet, but working on that. Pass the word!

Thanks
Old February 4th, 2005, 04:37 PM

If she's pregnant the longer you leave it the harder it will be on her.Could one of the larger rescues help you?or could you explain situation to your regular vet?I know that when I had my shepherds hip surgery done my vet gave me a discount and I didn't have to pay all at once.Most vets will help thier regular clients,especially those of us with zoos who they see regularly!
Old February 9th, 2005, 01:19 AM

Xena

Well guys, it looks like she's not pregnant. Titties went back down and she's eating fine. I spoke to the girl who had her just before she came back and she swears Xena was not anywhere near dogs. She knows it's not something she can lie about as I will definitely know she lied if she turns out pregnant, so I'm pretty sure she's being honest. She did tell me, however, that she had just finished her heat cycle when she brought her. Which makes sense. She was quite swollen, and now it seems to be less also. I've got much more experience with males, so I never know if a female's going through her "cycle" or not. I always get caught by surprise when it happens with a foster!!

I think it might just have been the stress of being back!
Old February 14th, 2005, 01:02 AM

Xena is adopted

Well, Xena is in her new home as of yesterday! She is doing just great. She has a new brother named Slim, they are just too cute together.

My Lil'Ricky is also adopted, he is leaving next week-end for London Ontario. He will have a new brother named Spanky! It's been a good and busy last couple of weeks... But I'm thrilled. Found two good homes just about the same time.

Got a Standard Poodle on its way by the end of the month, female, black... Don't know anything else yet.

Keep up all the good work all of you, you are all needed.
Old February 14th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank's for the really good news,good luck tpo both of them in their new homes