Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old November 14th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Formerly known as Grover4

Barking

Spencer barks at every single dog when we are out for a walk. Now, it's not just a normal bark, it's a hound death bark like "I'm gonna kill ya" and he WILL NOT stop. I have tried using the "Leave it" command and I have tried the "No Baking" but nothing works. Most times, I have to pick him up and start walking away with him. Now, that isn't too easy to do when I am walking Sydney as well. I know that if I was to bring a water bottle with me and squirt him, he would stop right away but well, I don't have 3 hands.

Some people might think that it isn't a big deal but at 6:00am, it is a big deal. I don't want him to be like this but I really don't know what to do.

Someone told me to get him to sit but he is a pro at barking whilke sitting too.
Old November 14th, 2005, 11:26 PM

Can you hide his eyes? Sometimes when you can hide their eyes, they forget what they were barking at. You can do it by just putting your arm over his head, sort of like you are going to hug his muzzle or put him into a sort of head lock... (It works best if you're wearing something with baggy sleeves...)

When the doggy is gone, if he stopped barking, you praise him a lot and keep going..
Old November 15th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

Sometimes getting them to lay down will make it tougher to bark/howl in that position.
Now if a dog is fussing at one of my horses I will run with the dog to the horse and sit him right in front of him. Basicallly he was barking at the horse to keep it away so I say 'not going to work - let's go meet this creature'. Almost instantly the dog will shut up because barking got him closer to the thing he didn't want. We then spend time with the horse so he can get over his fears and then we do it all again. Rarely does the dog keep barking even on the 2nd round. Most dogs are barking for show and when you call them on it they are really not as brave as they want you to think they are.
The opposite is true when you are dealing with other people's dogs (unless the dog is behind a safe fence). Because people don't want you running towards them with your barking dog, it is best to take charge of the situation from a firm leadership role.
Your dog is taking over the leadership role to keep the other dog away. It is a sign that your relationship is out of balance. Your dog has not earned an early morning walk because he disturbs the neighbors. So I would let him potty and then do some drills and work on his manners and your leadership skills. As he is good then you can start to venture out but only far enough that you can manage his behavior. When he makes a fuss you correct him firmly and then allow him to make a better choice. If he is out of control then you walk away from the distraction and go to a distance where he can handle himself and then work towards the distraction again. Each time you should get 2 steps closer before he losses it. With patience on your part you should be able to get right up to the distraction in only a few minutes.
The toughest part is to have his leash loose the entire time (unless for a correction). If the leash is tight it feeds his insecurities and doesn't make him use his brain. You are controling him with the tight leash and he can feel your lack of trust in the situation. It also changes his body language to that of an aggressive dog (head up and chest out) and tells the other dog that he wants to fight - its all down hill from there. So keep your leash loose, and teach him to stay with you and be quiet out of respect for you.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended