Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a cat - listings

Old July 24th, 2005, 04:06 PM

Very Cool Cat Looking for a Home!

I went into the shelter today to visit (i've been off for 10 months on maternity leave) and met the coolest cat. He's just a "plain" short haired brown tabby but he is gorgeous!!! He's young, maybe 2 years old, and BIG. He was lounging in his cage like he didn't have a care in the world - where infact his life is likely in grave danger.

I was told them call him Hal. He gets a lot of attention from customers but so far nobody has adopted him, opting instead for a cute little kitten. He does have one bad habit - he likes to hump other cats, either sex The one girl they have working there is not too experienced with cats and has been telling people that he can't go to a home with other cats. I informed her that if he was neutered now and given a chance to settle down he would likely stop this bad behaviour. Hopefully she'll start telling people this as Hal really does like the company of other felines!

Other then his looks & easy going manner there was one other thing I liked about him. When let out on the floor with my baby he came over and rubbed against her. She grabbed the sides of his face and he put his paws up and gently patted her face. My heart broke!!!

I'd definetely adopt this guy if I could get my husband to give in. But it's just impossible right now as I have 5 dogs (two of which are waaaay smaller then this cat LOL) and they are more then enough to take care of. Of course if I could ditch hubby (who really isn't much of a cat person) I'd definetely bring him home

Anyways, on the one in a millionth chance that someone might be interested in adopting Hal, he's at the Quinte Humane Society in Belleville, ON. He can be neutered before adoption and the fee would be $100 which also includes first shot, flea treatment, ID microchip, and pet insurance (i think they still do this).
Old July 24th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Wudjah,he sounds like a wonderful cat,I hope some Tabby-lover like me will adopt him.
As for the humping my Rocky is neutered,but loves to pretend-hump Chico,it's not a big deal...Chico will let Rocky know when he's going too far.
That should not keep him from being with other cats..unless it's against someones religion
Old July 24th, 2005, 04:19 PM

Yeah, I've seen and heard of neutered cats humping other cats or even their stuffies, but I can't see him being that bad after he loses his "boys". It's definetely not something that should keep him from getting adopted into a home with another easy going kitty! I'm a tabby lover too - I love all the cool patterns they come in. I'd love to get a Bengal some day but if I ever do get a cat I can almost guarantee it will be a domestic mix from death row!
Old July 24th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Senior Contributor

OH that's so sad. He sound just like a big scrumptious Tabby we had who we named "Mr.Brown". Laid-back, in-your-face love muffin, who merely rolled on his back and purred at our adoption events! We had no problem getting him a home!

Is there any chance you could foster this guy, or find someone who would, to save his life?

Here's our Mr.Brown
Old July 24th, 2005, 06:40 PM

He does look similar to Mr. Brown, just less uh, freaked out? LOL

Unfortunately me fostering him would be the same as me adopting him. I am going to suggest that they put a "I need a sponsor" sign on his cage - that way he will be neutered ASAP and not in danger of euthanasia. Foster homes for adult cats are hard to find around here - not to mention when we do have them in foster care we've found that they don't get adopted very quickly as they are not right there for people to view.

Anyways, I am going to go visit him again tomorrow - maybe I'll make up a nice story to stick on his cage as that usually gets peoples attention!
Old July 24th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Any pictures?
Old July 24th, 2005, 08:54 PM

I just looked on the website and I think this is him. The write up says "Hello I am a very large male Brown Tabby. I have been at the shelter since June 2005". It's actually a bit of a blessing that he's been there since June because he would hopefully be past the danger of catching a URV (most cats get it within the first week to 10 days or don't get it at all - in our shelter anyways). Anyways, here he is, although the picture really doesn't do him justice.
Attached Images

Old July 24th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Senior Contributor

He is adorable! How much does it cost to sponser a kitty to be fixed?
Old July 24th, 2005, 10:42 PM
Senior Contributor

OH, poor baby!

Do you want me to put him on my Petfinder site, with a more eye-catching description?

Can you get another pic of him?
Old July 25th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Senior Contributor

He is a beauty...poor boy having to lay beside a stinky box :sad:
Here's my problematic but wonderful Rocky!!
Attached Images

Old July 25th, 2005, 09:04 AM

It's $50 to sponsor a cat for neutering and you get an income tax receipt.

I can try to get a better picture of him - I tried cropping the litter box out of that one but I couldn't do it without cropping some of Hal out. That would be great if he could be put on Petfinder (he's on there through QHS but the more exposure the better).
Old July 25th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Does this help?
Old July 25th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Senior Contributor

I'll list him. Can I have people contact you if they're interested? Lots of people don't like to go to shelters.
IF that's okay, you can pm me your email addy.

The humping is no problem for anyone who knows cats! All my males humped at one time or another, even after being neutered for years! Believe me, if he tries to hump a female who's not interested, he'll get the message.
Old July 25th, 2005, 10:40 AM

What a handsome cat!

I used to have a male cat (neutered) who humped everything in sight. His favourite item though, used to be a pair of fuzzy slippers I owned, so everytime he started humping someone's leg, I'd pick him up, put him on one of the slippers, and pet him, saying "good boy". After a while, he just pretty much humped the slippers. Those slippers lasted for years, since I never wore them once they became Sam's sex toys.
Old July 30th, 2005, 07:52 AM

Update

Hank (formerly Hal) has received a sponsor and was neutered just yesterday! Thanks to Toonces who offered to sponsor this special boy - but his charm won somebody else over too and he was already sponsored! It's only a matter of time before he gets adopted!!!
Old July 30th, 2005, 07:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank's that's good news...hopefully Hank will have a good place to call home soon
Old July 30th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Senior Contributor

YAY for Hank! I bet he finds a home real soo, such a sweet face he has.

I was going to sponser him for Laureen from GSRT she saw his pic and was totally smitten with him and since I am in the area it would be easier for me to do but someone beat me to it, we are just so glad he got done

Funny how we found out his name was Hank the same name as my foster

Humming theme from the Twilight Zone
Old August 7th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Any update on this guy?
Old October 27th, 2005, 09:59 AM

wow nice looking cat where are u located
Old October 27th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Senior Contributor

He is at Quinte Humane Society In Belleville Ontario.