Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 4th, 2005, 11:45 AM
cat slave

dog walkers

hello

still on my search for what dog to get when i move....gosh trying to figure out all the possible "what if's" is real hard. I hope i don't miss anything and then get the dog and have an "OH MY GOD!! i didn't think of that!!" moment LOL

but it won't happen.

ok ... so let's say my schedule does get too busy and i'll have to leave the dog home for 9 hours one day a week....I would for sure consider a dog walker.

anyone know what they usually charge?
Old July 4th, 2005, 12:04 PM

It probably varies, but we had one for my FIL's dog when he was in hospital and they charged us I believe it was $12.00 / day (1 visit)
Old July 4th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Agility Addict

It really does depend on how long you want your dog taken outside for. And also where the dog walker takes your dog. If it's just around the block, it's gonna be less expensive then the dog walkers that take your dog to the dog park.

Around here, if you use their services on a regular basis - they charge about $15 for half and hour and about $30 for an hour. Sometimes its a bit more if they have to drive a ways to get to you. They generally charge more if you call them at the last minute and have never used them before. Some will want to meet with the dog first to assess its temperament. Some will also take the time to play and feed your dog if you request it (and pay extra!). I think it costs $15 more for every extra 15 minutes they spend with your dog (like feeding them or playing with them in the backyard after a walk)...
Old July 4th, 2005, 12:22 PM
cat slave

wow! i'd play with someone's dog for free! lol

where i used to work at the garden centre customers would usually come in with dogs and i'd get a lot of strange stares for petting dogs instead of ringing plants in hahaha
Old July 4th, 2005, 01:15 PM

I live in an apartment and cannot have a dog, though I really want one. I had a customer come in one day and she talked about her two dogs. I offered to dog walk for her and did so one or two days a week for free for seven months (until I moved) and I still visit sporadically when I can. Maybe you could find someone in the same situation (wants a dog but can't have one) who will dog walk for you for free or for a fraction of what regular dog walkers would charge. (The lady I dog walked for would buy me little gifts - chocolates, gift certificates - now and then to show her appreciation.)
Old July 4th, 2005, 06:47 PM

My dog walker charges $15 for an hour long walk in a forest with other dogs. If I buy ten walks at a time she reduces the price to $13.5/hour. I wish I could find someone to do it for free!
Old July 4th, 2005, 08:43 PM
Senior Contributor

I would expect to pay about $15. Some dog walkers will only accept dogs on a 5 day a week basis. The lovely lady who walks my dog does so just once a week while he is at socialization. I live a bit outside her pick-up area but this works well for me and she also boards my dog when necessary. If your dog is picked up by the walker when you are not home, you will have to be very sure that your dog will let the person in. Fortunately when my dog's friend did come to pick him up for boarding, her recognized her and was very excited to see her - he was thinking "group" outing - including Mommy of course. Other people have found that when they see a person only on neutral territory that entering one's premises when Mom is not there is a totally different story.
Old July 4th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Don't hire or use a dog walking service that takes out more then two dogs at a time. They are unable to provide adequate supervision and protection to your dog if more then two are being walked at the same time. JMO