Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 25th, 2008, 12:51 PM

At six months she may be in heat, but, I agree with Scottie, it may possibly be a UTI. My Maya had several when she was younger, and it gave same symptoms, she was swollen because she was irritating herself by licking, and had traces of blood. Maya was already altered by then, so I knew right away. You are doing the right thing making the vet appt. to be sure and you should try to take a urine sample with you, because mine refuse to pee at the vets, and it will be uncomfortable for your baby to have to be cathed for a sample. Good luck, she soo cute.

In Memory: Spot, Reese, Scrunk, and Nikki - always in my heart
Old October 25th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

At six months your puppy to too young for breeding anyways, it is like a 12 year old human having a baby. You are putting your female at risk by allowing the two of them together without supervision. You should be talking to your breeder/mentor or your vet about this.

I don't care what breeder is breeding, for every dog that is bred, one dies in a shelter. There are pure breds everywhere waiting to be adopted.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 25th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Mommy to many "children"

Well, she finally went peepee this last time I took her outside (on a leash). She also went peepee while I was gone. Then she went poopoo (upstairs in a bdrm!!). Now I feel like I have to potty train her again, as she is not going on the puppy pad but on her blanket and in the upstairs bedroom.

Also, her blood has been continuous, not a lot, but enough to stain places she sits. She also has a "smell" about her. Can't quite describe it.....kind of musty and strong. My fixed female cat is curious and sniffs her. Puffles doesn't seem bothered when I press on her belly or just generally inspect her body, just in case she has anything else going on. Her personality is still the same, full of energy. She also ate a hearty lunch.

It's a heat, I think. Not a UTI. She doesn't seem to be licking and/or fidgeting with her privates much at all. It's just the pronounced nipples and consistent bleeding and musty smell that we've got going on.

Oh, and I'm gonna post a picture of my sweet Pinkey, our two year old fixed black cat. Does anyone else keep their black cat inside during the whole month of October? I do.....crazy satanic people out there do crazy things to cats. But I guess that's a whole other thread in the cat section, huh?
Old October 25th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I keep my cats in all the time, unless they are supervised outside, and by supervised, I mean within a couple of feet of them. It is much too dangerous outside to allow them free and I love them too much to put them in harms way.

I do agree that it is more dangerous for black cats at halloween time, however cats can be tortured by these sick people any time of the year.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 25th, 2008, 04:27 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Be aware that just because your male isn't too interested now, doesn't mean he won't get interested later. The males can smell when the females are fertile...and they don't get fertile until maybe day 8 or 9 of the heat (remaining that way for 10 days or more). So he won't get really persistent until she's fertile. Keep them separated until at least day 25 if you want to be absolutely sure she doesn't get impregnated.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 26th, 2008, 04:40 PM

Many years ago I had a dog and she had one cycle and then she was spayed. During that cycle, we had male dogs from who knows where, turn up on our doorstep and wait very patiently all day long for a chance encounter. You will have to keep a VERY close eye on her or else she will be pregnant.

Since then time (30 years) has passed and I volunteer at a shelter. I will never have a dog that is unfixed and will never buy a puppy from the newspaper or from anywhere but a shelter.

I hope you'll be very vigilent and get her through the heat and have her spayed ASAP.
Old October 26th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

6 month heat cycle is normal age range for a small breed, almost any breed actually.

I vote too that she is in heat, please be careful, regardless what you choose to do in the future with her (spay breed or not) now is NOT a safe time, or a fair time for her.
She's still a baby and by having a litter now, it's not fair to her or her body.

DEFINATELY keep your male away from her for the next few weeks ( 2 atleast) since he has a heart condition and is a cocker ( known for genetic heart problems) if they bred, then there is a great chance the pups will have heart problems as well.
This is why breeders do breed specific genetic tests and only breed those who pass all of them ( ethical breeders anyways)
I don't think anyone meant to say you were a BYB, but many people sadly fall into this category as they have the idea to breed a litter for what ever reason and do take it lightly.
Breeding is NOT for everyone, not every dog that is purebred is worthy to breed although they do make exceptional pets for families.
I do encourage you to hang around a bit once the heat cycle calms down and you have some spare time to read all you can about breeding.
Many members here are VERY anti breeding and pro rescue. Which is wonderful, but there are a few people on here who are either ethical breeders or have experience with all that makes the term important.
There is a weath of information here, will get a good start for you if one day you hope to breed a litter.
There is alot to learn about who should breed, why to breed, why people do breed, having goals in breeding programs and many other informative pointers.

Welcome to the board too by the way
Old October 27th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Mommy to many "children"

Thanks, Hogansma and Erykah.

Rest assured. Puffles is on a vigilant watch. And George has not seen Puffles since friday when I realized she might be in heat. She stays in the bathroom and out in the kitchen area with us when we're home. Outside on a leash for peeing and running back and forth for exercise on the patio. the only animal she's around is Pinkey, our fixed two year old female cat. Not worried about her!!

Yep, all's good so far. Just an inconvenience on our part, and probably on Puffles too, with her needing extra hourly attention. But we know it's worth it for the next few weeks in order to keep her healthy and safe.
You know, this is like raising a child.......you do things in their best interest that they don't understand. They moan and complain, then later, years later, they eventually understand (hopefully) why you did what you did. Puffles may never understand why she had to go through this, but that's okay.
Old October 27th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Good luck Tari. I hope everything works out for you. Once she is spayed you will no longer have to worry - thus piece of mind...or peace of mind.
Old October 27th, 2008, 12:17 PM

One thing not yet mentioned.

When she is in heat you will have all the male dogs for miles around hanging out in your yard. Your male is not going to take kindly to that and will probably freak out. There will be dog fights. Your male, with his heart condition, may not survive the stress he will be under nor survive a fight if he gets into one.

ps. Some Vets will spay while in heat and some prefer not to.
Old November 21st, 2008, 10:29 AM
Mommy to many "children"

Well, Puffles got fixed on Monday. She's been doing great. Hardly needed any pain meds. I've had her confined to a big pen area in my office made from attachable baby gates. The same ones we used for our daughter when she was learning to walk!
What I'm wondering, though, is why there was little response to her heat. She was in heat for about three weeks, and when we let her around George (very closely monitored) he didn't even notice her. I took a walk in the neighborhood with Puffles and not a single peep from the neighborhood dogs. Also, when I walked her in the back yard, the adjacent neighbor male dog that's not fixed never flinched or made a sound.
Why no reaction from neighborhood dogs or George?

Well, Puffles is still confined, as the vet says her surgery will give off hormones that other dogs can pick up. Hopefully she'll be released to the general population (kidding) in another week.

Thanks for the help, folks!
Old November 21st, 2008, 10:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Tari I am so glad that the operation went well. You have made a very responsible decision for her..and in a long run yourself.
Old November 21st, 2008, 10:33 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

So glad to hear she made it through her spay just fine .

Strange about the male dogs having no interest, somebody else may have an explanation for you.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old November 21st, 2008, 10:38 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Thanks for being responsible thing and getting her fixed!
It is possible she was not in heat period. May be what she was experiencing were changes she was going through naturally.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 21st, 2008, 10:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Thanks for being responsible thing and getting her fixed!
It is possible she was not in heat period. May be what she was experiencing were changes she was going through naturally.
True - normally females are not spayed until 1 month after the heat...so she probably is not in the 'heat aftermath'.
Old November 21st, 2008, 12:19 PM
Mommy to many "children"

Well, she had the swollen "private" part, had a week of bleeding at first, and she had pronounced nipples. She also, towards the end, had swelling under the nipples, like a dime size swelling under each one. so all that lead us to think it's a heat.
during the surgery, doctor said her uterus was not swollen, if that makes any difference.
her heat ended around friday, the 14th, and her surgery was on monday, the 17th. no swollen uterus, but still had the dime-size swelling.
anyhoo, all's well and i'll be so glad to get her back into the regular routine again! and no more worries about future heats too!
Old November 21st, 2008, 12:36 PM

I got my Mindy from a breeder at 8 months old - originally it was felt she was show quality. I made an appointment for her spay before I even got her (as per my non-breeding contract) BUT she went into heat on the second day in our house. Our vet did not neuter during their heat (and the breeder did not recommend it). She went outside with me on the leash. I was prepared to have to beat off the male dogs but she was never bothered at all. I chalked it up to being her first cycle and figured her scent wasn't as strong - that and she never just hung out in the yard - we went for short walks every time we went out. I'm not sure if I'm right or not but it was a lot less stressful than I had feared so hopefully you will have the same experience.
Old November 21st, 2008, 12:42 PM

Just now reading this thread, good for you and Puffles, Tari! I'm glad she's doing well.