Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old August 28th, 2005, 09:38 AM
<-----nut ball

Acne

I was just wondering if anyone here has super sensitive skin or any acne prevention tips?

My acne seems to be getting worse as I get older, not better. I thought by now It would be stopping (I'm 26!) Nothing seems to work. My dermatologist is no help (she told me to wash my face with oatmeal wrapped in a j-cloth. It made my skin nice and didn't break out as much, but it was a pain in the butt to do twice a day, and expensive).

I know it's an embarrasing topic, but I'm just a little fed up. I don't want any more scars on my face from this crap!
Old August 28th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Performance Spaniels

I have an issue more with blackheads, but I found over the last few years my acne was flairing up too. Bought every face wash on the market targeted for acne/ blackhead issues, and astringents too. Used them right, and only irritated my face more.

My Mom told me to calm it down.. cause I was making it worse. I wash my face with baking soda and use hydrogen peroxide as an astringent. I thought it sounded stupid.. but it's working well. Short of keeping the hydrogen peroxide away from your hair line, or you'll eventually have blond flecks.. lol.
Old August 28th, 2005, 10:33 AM

My brothers and I never really had acne and we think it's because we never washed our faces at all. Whenever you wash, your skin goes into oil-replenishing over-drive and then you get breakouts. Just my theory.
Old August 28th, 2005, 10:55 AM

I know how you feel. I have a huge acne problem, I had to go to the dermatologist and get a perscription. I still have acne but nothing like before. It's better to get control of it now otherwise you'll have scaring. The sides of my face are covered in scars so now I have to wear makeup or everyone can see them very clearly. And no I didn't pick at them, that is just how bad it was.

I was using a three step product called proacne. It was working pretty well. I still got some pimples but it did make them a lot smaller over night.

I found that I'm allergic to a lot of things and my reaction is to break out. Like if I eat shellfish I'll break out, or if I use a fragrented soap I'll break out. Even if I use dryer sheets. You could possibly be allergic to something.

I hope everything works out. My suggestion is to only use one product at a time, and maybe ask your dermatologist about a perscription.

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat
Old August 28th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

I really like ProActive Solution. It works great, even though it's an infommercial product, lol. I love it and I know alot of people who it really worked for too. You can actually buy it at The Bay now, so it's way easier than buying it over the phone. Oh and they sell a little travel mini kit, so you can just buy that to see if you like it first.
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old August 29th, 2005, 08:00 AM

I have never had bad skin but my little brother had the worse skin you could imagine. Nothing was working for him and it was really stressing him out. He started high school last year and was so worried about his skin and the way people would react (by people i mean girls )
He started using proactive and it did wonders. He still uses it and every now in then he might get a few break outs but other than that he has no acne. I would def. give it a try.
Old August 29th, 2005, 08:11 AM
Helicopter Champion

Accutane does a good job IF you are willing to put up with the side effects. I did a six month run on Accutane (finished in May) which pretty much cleared facial acne thought didn't fix blemishes that I get on my arms and back of neck, which is the reason I was on it in the first place! Side effects are extreme dryness of skin, particularily lips, very sensitive skin, longer heal times if you get a cut, dry nose, and on and on. Can / will cause birth defects (if a woman is going on it they are also required to go on birth control. If a pregnancy occurs while on it, they will very very very strongly recommend terminating the pregnancy.
Old August 29th, 2005, 08:24 AM

Do you always get break outs in one area?

I don't have acne but when I did get breakouts it was always in the same areas - my chin and side of my face. Which coincidentally are the exact areas my face touchs the phone receiver when I'm holding the receiver with my shoulder. I now hold the receiver with my hand and try to keep it away from my face, also I don't touch my face, only to wash it...and I've noticed a drastice decrease in the breakouts I get.
Old August 29th, 2005, 09:28 AM

Have you considered using an acne friendly birth control pill like Diane? This one is often prescribed to help reduce or eliminate acne. I had a friend in school take this and within weeks her acne was gone!
Old August 29th, 2005, 09:52 AM

I used to use the Diane and it works awsome. It takes a few weeks, but once it starts working it is great.
Salem - DSH

Our pets are our teachers, healers, heroes, and friends.
Old August 31st, 2005, 09:15 PM
<-----nut ball

I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to come by here!

I'm very gentle on my face (wash for 10 secs max with a mild soap, and I never pick and try not to touch my face at all, all day long!). My doc and dermatologist both told me I am "atopic" (basically, I get allergic dermatitis to EVERYTHING with no known cause or reason). It's probably allergy's mostly then (which I basically already knew). It doesn't help that my face is constantly itchy, which makes it hard not to touch it at least sometimes. THen again, I'm always itchy (darn atopy!)

I thought about proactive, but it's BP (benzyl peroxide) based right? BP has now been reseached and it causes free radicals at the skin surface level, raising your chance of getting skin cancer. It's the most effective topical zit fighter, but could be bad in the long run. I'm a little wary to try it.

My BF went on accutane twice as his acne was so bad it didn't work the first time. He learned about an amazing lotion when on it called "Aquatane". It's a super moisturizing cream/lotion that is non-comedogenic and oil free. We both use it and it's the only thing I can use that doesn't make my face all red. We have to special order it from the pharmacy at Walmart. If you are looking for a miracle gentle super thick moisturizing lotion for winter (that's oil free), try this! It's amazing. $7 for a tube of the cream, and I forget the price of the lotion, which is a little thinner.

Being blond with sensitive skin doesn't help, as my face is always red and blotchy. And unfortunately, I can't wear any makeup to cover it up (or I just end up with worse skin for weeks after).

I really don't want to go on Accutane if I can help it. I'm already on a pill that is supposed to help with acne, but I saw no change.
Old August 31st, 2005, 09:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Tea Tree Oil is also good to use.And it works pretty darn good.

I know when my buddy is about to visit,I only get two on my face.But my daughter gets quite a few.We use the Tea Tree Oil,and it clears it up.She now uses it after she washes her face.It does leave your skin soft.
Old September 1st, 2005, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerRescueMTL
I really like ProActive Solution. It works great, even though it's an infommercial product, lol. I love it and I know alot of people who it really worked for too. You can actually buy it at The Bay now, so it's way easier than buying it over the phone. Oh and they sell a little travel mini kit, so you can just buy that to see if you like it first.
My wife also swears by ProActive. Her skin has really cleared up after using it.
Old September 4th, 2005, 12:15 AM
Senior Contributor

My skin was always sensitive. I didn't break out, but my skin would get red and raw feeling. I've found that I'm sensitive to scents in cosmetics and skin care products. Clinique is really good in that it's hypoallergenic - no scent added.
Old September 6th, 2005, 04:07 PM
banned user

I've developed sensitive skin through the years, don't really know why. I now use the very basic stuff like just soap bar to wash my face and a simple moisturizer, nothing more, not even an eye cream anymore. I don't get acnes though but a hive like rash all over my face and neck. A steroid prescription cream (forget the name) would clear those rashes right up.

Acnes are likely to be caused by hormonal imbalance, has your dermatologist suggested taking some oral contraceptives? My cousin had a very bad acne problem, and oral contraceptives helped her a lot, but then her acne problem hadn't completely disappeared until she was 32 years old.
Old September 8th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Chocolate

get another dermatologist!!!

i use toner (either that witch one from wal-mart or aveno from zellers)
and st. ives scrub in the shower.

using it daily would probably do the trick.

maybe ur using too much moisturizer in the day/night? my skin gets extra oily when i put any lotion/moisturizer on my face so i limit the amount i put on immensely.
Old May 11th, 2007, 01:20 AM

3days to recover from acne, Eczema and Psoriasis by CSDCC chinese herbal cream.

CSDCC cream is made from an ancient recipy very effective to dermatitis. You may reffer to the testimonials as below: http://www.csdcc.com/testimony1.htm
Old May 11th, 2007, 11:24 AM

I know that your looking for tips for yourself and I have never had a problem with acne for me or any of my children but I do have a hairless dog who has acne.

I use a witch hazel and listerine mixture, half and half and the listerine is the original not flavoured!

It's safe and effective especially for sensitive skin!
I wipe Noid down with it nightly I just use a cotton make-up pad!

This is my routine for him

1. wrap in a warm towel from the dryer to open the pores
2. wipe with the witch hazel mixture
3. Use a toner to close pores

This is the difference it made, well that and changing his diet afyter about a 8 week period(sorry the pic is gross)

http://www.freewebs.com/crazy4cresteds/index.htm