Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 22nd, 2009, 05:32 PM

Red face Don't know been cat is due

I rescued a cat 2 weeks ago. She is very pregnant and I don't know how much longer she can go. She is very big you can see her kittens move they look like they jump. She went into the box I made her yesterday. She dug around and stayed in it for about an hour and I haven't seen her in it again since. She is not sleeping quite as much today and has cut down her food a little. Her nipples feel full she has like milk pockets under them. I as just wondering if anyone had any idea when she could go into labor. thanks!
Old April 22nd, 2009, 05:56 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Yes, any time now. Watch her to make sure she uses the bed you want her to use and doesn't sneak off to a spot more of her choice.
Please also have your vet's number on hand in case there are problems with the delivery.
Are you keeping the mom and kittens or adopting them out? And, I hope, getting mom spayed as soon as possible after she weans kittens and her milk has dried (two weeks).
Old April 22nd, 2009, 06:52 PM

I have friends that I know well that are going to take them I'm planning on taking one. Also is it okay if I don't limit her food when she came to me she was undernourished and she is still quite boney
Old April 22nd, 2009, 07:05 PM
Kitty pimp

pregentkitties need alot ofcalories i would think some one will be along to instruct you on that my rule of thumb is the best quality wet you can find and maybe 50% more than it says for her weght
some stryas w ill eat till they throw it up so feed often but smalller portions if you can
Old April 22nd, 2009, 08:26 PM

I don't know much about kitten mommies, but wanted to say thank you for rescuing her and trying to do the right thing for her and her babies.

In Memory: Spot, Reese, Scrunk, and Nikki - always in my heart
Old April 23rd, 2009, 01:50 AM
-

I agree with Jim ...feed her a top quality canned food like Wellness and preferably the kitten formula as it has more calories.

14+kitties and Love4himies are both very experienced in raising kittens and will be able to offer you excellent advice.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 07:10 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Yes, momma will need a lot of calories when she is nursing her kittens.

Canned food only as she needs a lot of fluid too. Check the label for meat content, no grains, corn etc as those are wasted calories. If you can supplement her with some raw human meat that would do her a world of wonders too.

If you can afford better quality cat food then here are my picks:

Wellness, grain free varieties (yellow triangle in the corner). This comes in the larger canned size to economize
Nature's Variety, Instinct canned
A less expensive brand but still good quality is Felidae canned. It also comes in the larger can size so you can economize with that brand too.

You can only find these foods in quality pet food stores, not the grocery store.

How is momma doing?

After the birth check on the babies to ensure they are all nursing. They should be weighed at least every second day to ensure they are gaining weight. The norm is about 10 grams a day.

You can start weaning the kittens at about 3.5-4 weeks old. Water down the canned food with some kitten forumula to help entice them.

If you are using clumping litter, please remove it from the kitten area once the kittens start walking. They will try to eat everything and the clumpling litter will clump in their tummies and cause them blockages which could lead to death.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 23rd, 2009, 08:40 AM

I, too, rescued a pregnant stray, and she was absolutely enormous before she gave birth. (about triple her regular, non-pregnant size she looked like a deflated balloon afterwards). If you can actually see kittens moving than she is likely close. I don't know how friendly your cat is, she may decide to hide when she gets closer to giving birth, or if she is really really people oriented, she may want company, it depends on the cat. A few days prior, she will start looking for nesting spots. the day of she may start pacing, and she probably won't eat much, if anything, the day she gives birth. Since up to that point she will likely have been gobbling everything in sight, this is an easy sign to look for, although every cat is different and has their own way of doing things.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old April 23rd, 2009, 02:04 PM
-

Seb17, do you have an update? Did momma cat give birth yet?
Old April 23rd, 2009, 06:20 PM

Question

No kittens yet.she started lactating a little today. I just can't believe she hasn't had them yet she's so big. She is sleeping a lot still and is still eating a fair amount. The kittens are more calm today than yesterday but still moving. No discharge in vaginal area is present. She has been sleeping with me more she likes to lay right beside me all the time. thank you everyone who has replied you have given me a lot of things I didn't know.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 07:03 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

It should be soon.

Please keep us updated.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 24th, 2009, 01:22 AM
-

I hope everything goes well.
Old April 24th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

We need another update today, please And pics, do you have a digital camera that you can take some pics?

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old April 24th, 2009, 07:19 AM

Question

I do have a camera but my computer crashed so I've been using my iPod touch . So I have no photos. She kept me up last night nesting in her box. She is still sleeping a lot but right now she's sniffing everything. She is a calico with a lot of white. Oh and when we rescued her she didn't groom at all and just recently she started doing it all the time. I was just wondering if that was normal because she does it whenever she's awake. I am just so anxious for her kittens to come!
Old April 24th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Catlover2

A lot of grooming is often a sign of a stress reliever. So she may be getting a little anxious and close to delivery. Some cats will settle right in a box, others just before delivery can become anxious and go from place to place, not knowing where they want to have the kittens. Some start to pant with open mouth just before and during labour. During delivery some are silent, but others may cry out in pain during the delivery. She will chew off the umbilical cord herself and eat the placenta, and clean off the kitten, tho some are a bit lazy about that, so have an old washcloth or towel to clear away the sac around the kitten's face, if she doesn't do it. It's important that you remain calm (I know that will be hard!). Is she very friendly and calm with you? If she was a feral, she may wish to be by herself during the kittening. Hope everything goes well.
Old April 24th, 2009, 08:15 AM

yes she is very calm and friendly and she follows me all the time. I hope she is about to have them I'm just so excited but nervous too. Thanks for he info
Old April 24th, 2009, 11:29 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Are you planning on keeping Momma too? You had said you were keeping one of the babies. I hope there are also plans on getting her spayed afterward.
Have you got your vet's number handy in case something goes wrong during delivery? How close are you to your vets?
Old April 24th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Yes, please inform your vet and keep his/her number handy. 99% of the time there are no problems and momma can handle everything, but there is that slight, slight chance.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old April 24th, 2009, 12:35 PM

Yes I have a vet we aren't really close bit we know each other I am keeping the momma
Old April 24th, 2009, 12:53 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb17 View Post
Yes I have a vet we aren't really close bit we know each other I am keeping the momma
Now the only question I need reassurance on is the one I have asked twice and you have not answered. Is she being spayed as soon as she can be after kittens have been weaned?
Old April 24th, 2009, 02:34 PM

Talking

oh...yes she is I'm sorry I didn't notice I didn't answer it. But yes she will be because we can't have anymore kittens running around
Old April 24th, 2009, 05:20 PM

Cool

She is sleeping more than usual today. I thought they were supposed to get more anxious toward the end of the pregnancy. But all she has done today is drink eat sleep and groom. Hopefully she's okay
Old April 24th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Are the kittens still moving??? If anything goes wrong, you will notice a difference in her personality. Sending some for an easy delivery.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old April 24th, 2009, 05:59 PM
I'm a softy

It is common to see the kittens move sometimes for 2 weeks before delivery.

You say you see milk? If milk comes out when you squeeze she could be close, or if she has had kittens before, that doesn't mean anything.. haha..

I would look for a lengthening of the vulva, You will see it gradually relax and open up, there will be discharge at some point, anywhere from 2 days to hours before birth.

Lots of good advice already! Personally I only let the cat eat a few placenta's.. it can cause diarrhea.

If she was feral I would try and leave her alone as much as possible, and try not to pick up or move the babies much, it can stress her out and cause her to move the kittens.

When she is nursing continue to feed her like others have said to feed her while she is pregnant.. let her be the guide to how much she needs.

We have a rule here about picking up kittens here, once a day only until they open their eyes, anywhere from 7-15 days old..

Please weigh them and keep and eye on them until they are 'out of the woods' Good luck!! and in about 4 weeks... start wearing shoes at all times, that is if you like your toes!!!!! lol
Old April 24th, 2009, 06:11 PM

Smile

Yes the kittens are moving. I have been able to see them move since I got her which is 2 weeks today. She doesn't like her belly touched today like she usually does. Thanks for all the support!!
Old April 24th, 2009, 07:33 PM
-

It's got to be close .....I hope all goes well.
Old April 25th, 2009, 09:54 AM

Smile

Today she is acting a little different than usual. She has been meowing which she never does. She is drinking tons of water. And she's really lovable
Old April 25th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Catlover2

Yep, getting close. Sounds like she wants you to be with her and be labour coach.
Old April 25th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Remembering Lukka

She is so lucky to have you in her corner. I'm glad she found you. Can't wait to hear all about the new arrivals
Old April 25th, 2009, 02:29 PM

Wink

She has stopped eating but she's sleeping a lot again. I think she will hopefully have them this weekend

Tags
cat, complications, due date, pregnant, pregnant cat