Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Tech talk

Old January 16th, 2009, 03:32 PM
-

Red face Help Needed for Computer Dummy

Can someone explain to me in "easy to understand" terms how to fix my problem?

I have a cd that plays the video okay but not the music. What do I need to do to fix my computer settings?
Old January 16th, 2009, 03:42 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Just to clarify, it's a CD of a powerpoint presentation with a large music file (51.8 M) imbedded. Total size of the powerpoint package was about 76 M if I'm remembering correctly... It was packaged with the powerpoint player.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 16th, 2009, 03:45 PM
-

All I know is that it plays the video but not the sound.
Old January 16th, 2009, 03:48 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

No error messages?

Is it starting up automatically (which is how it played on my machine) or do you have to start it up in another software program?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 16th, 2009, 03:52 PM
-

I do not get any error messages and the cd starts up automatically.
Old January 16th, 2009, 03:56 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oh, crap. I hope the cold didn't fry the CD. Is that possible?

Hmmmm... Try this. Put in the CD and let it start, then hit ESC. The show should stop. Then click on My Computer and when that comes up, right click on the CD drive with the disk still in there and tell me what you see.

I hope I included the music file!

Old January 16th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Half Way To Crazy

stupid question but is your sound on?? do you have to turn up the volume??

I'm sorry but it happened to me, I by accendent pressed the mute button
Old January 16th, 2009, 04:00 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I've done the same thing, breeze

Old January 16th, 2009, 04:00 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze View Post

lol, i thought the exact same thing, i've done it too.
Old January 16th, 2009, 04:01 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post

Hmmmm... Try this. Put in the CD and let it start, then hit ESC. The show should stop. Then click on My Computer and when that comes up, right click on the CD drive with the disk still in there and tell me what you see.

You're asking ME if that's possible?

Okay I will try your suggestion but have to write down the instructions first.
Old January 16th, 2009, 04:02 PM
-

Quote:

Quote:
I've done the same thing, breeze
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
lol, i thought the exact same thing, i've done it too.

LOL.....that is ONE of the things rainbow does remember to check.
Old January 16th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Half Way To Crazy

glad I'm not the only person around that did that..
Old January 16th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Half Way To Crazy

hazel is there a way rainbow can see if there is a music file with it??

like properties?? would that tell her??
Old January 16th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:

oops I must be really slow today.. sorry
Old January 16th, 2009, 04:14 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'm busy trying to recreate the disk so I can see if there's another way to play it....

Old January 16th, 2009, 04:22 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

oh crap....

Old January 16th, 2009, 04:25 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I got a funny message about the music track when I tried to package it.

If you can right click on the CD drive and check properties, it should tell you how much used space is on the disk, rainbow. It should be over 70 M...if it's not, we've got a problem

Old January 16th, 2009, 04:27 PM
-

Okay, I did what you said and then right clicked on the cd (heaven on earth) and then clicked on Properties and this is what it said:

Under the General Tab

Free Space 661MB
Total Size 680MB

Under the Auto Play Tab

Select a content type then choose an action for Windows to perform automatically when that type is used in this device and there's a drop down box with these choices:

Music files
Pictures
Video Files
Mixed content
Music cd

The "music files" was the choice that it was already set on and that is what played the video but not the music.

And, btw, I have Windows XP if you need to know that.
Old January 16th, 2009, 04:28 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I think I sent you the wrong disk. :sad: If it says 18.7 M used space, then I did.

Aren't you glad I sent it? LOL And you anticipated it so eagerly for all those weeks!

I'm sorry...this shouldn't be striking me as funny, but dirty brackenfratz, that's just crackign me up! *wheeze wheeze*

Old January 16th, 2009, 04:32 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oy....gasp gasp gasp...oy my shtomack...

There's no music, rainbow. hazel screwed up big time.

I must've just ignored that message about the music track when I made the disk (it was late at night, as I recall). When I played it from my CD drive the music was fine because I have it out on my hard drive and it knew where to look!

Let's see if I can fix this and then I'll send it again. You should get it...oh...about July 12th!

I'm so sorry....

Old January 16th, 2009, 04:33 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oy, I'm still wheezing...the dogs think I'm nuts...

Probably, you do, too, eh?

Old January 16th, 2009, 04:33 PM
-

Quote:
I got a funny message about the music track when I tried to package it.

If you can right click on the CD drive and check properties, it should tell you how much used space is on the disk, rainbow. It should be over 70 M...if it's not, we've got a problem
It says:

Used Space 18.7MB
Free Space 661MB
Capacity 680MB
Old January 16th, 2009, 04:35 PM
-

Ummmm...no problem, Hazel.

At least the weather should be fine by then and the planes will be landing regular.
Old January 16th, 2009, 04:35 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Yep...18.7 M of slides.

If I'd done it right, it would have been over 70 M. I think I'm gonna hafta try to rename the music file--the name of the file was too long--that's the only reason it couldn't copy it to the CD

*sigh*

Old January 16th, 2009, 04:37 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post

Ummmm...no problem, Hazel.

At least the weather should be fine by then and the planes will be landing regular.
That was my thought, too!

See, rainbow? You're not such a computer dummy. Everything went great once you got it! It was the stuff at this end that was shtoopid!

Old January 16th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Half Way To Crazy

couldn't you just email her the music hazel, so she can open the email while watch the slide show??
Old January 16th, 2009, 04:43 PM
-

Well I don't understand any of the technical stuff....I just put things in and push a button then if stuff doesn't work I'm screwed.

So here is a stoopid question....

You mentioned that you couldn't use a "share site" as the max size allowed is 50M and the music track is 51.9M .......couldn't you just shorten the music?
Old January 16th, 2009, 04:44 PM
-

Quote:
couldn't you just email her the music hazel, so she can open the email while watch the slide show??
Hopefully that will work.
Old January 16th, 2009, 04:48 PM
-

I saw the thread title and thought, pfft I didn't give anyone the authoritay to open a thread in my name
Old January 16th, 2009, 04:51 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
So here is a stoopid question....

You mentioned that you couldn't use a "share site" as the max size allowed is 50M and the music track is 51.9M .......couldn't you just shorten the music?
Not a stupid question...I thought of that, but I don't have any software that allows me to edit the music.

Quote:
Sigh...I wish. It's 51.8 M in size so too big for me to email. Plus the powerpoint presentation has been told that the file is in that spot on my hard drive and therefore, even if I could email the music, it wouldn't know where to look.

Anyone have any suggestions for how to cut down the size of a music file?