Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old October 28th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Senior member - formerly Lezzerpezzer

about fostering....

Just a question. I have posed this in another spot, but thought this to be the more appropriate place.
If one owns the maximum allowable number of pets in their city, how does it work for foster situations. Can one foster needy animals on top of the number of owned pets? Does Animal Care harrass people for having too many animals on the premises even if some are there only temporarily? Agencies are always looking for foster homes, but I have never offered my services as I am maxed out in the pet department and would not want to make waves. I have had an rescue agency approve me for fostering as they found my living conditions quite appropriate for dog fostering and I was very flattered and I did adopt my third dog from them prior to that. They said any time I wanted to foster an animal they would not hesitate to consider and recommend me for doing so.
Old October 28th, 2004, 10:07 AM
Senior Contributor

The way it works where I live if you have the max number of pets a foster dog does not count as it is not a permanent resident so you do not have to have tags for the dog.

Good for you for wanting to help dogs in need! We also foster and our first one was adopted last weekend. We had him for about 6 months and it was so hard to see him go but we know we did the right thing and now we are looking forward to helping another dog
Old October 28th, 2004, 10:14 AM

maximum number

wow do you have limits then here on maximum numbers of dogs?
Old October 28th, 2004, 10:19 AM
Senior Contributor

By law you are only able to have 3 dogs per household, after that you have to apply for a kennel license and they are hard to come by, I think you need a minimum of 5 arces (which we have ) but can't get one because our neighbours are to close and would apose it, We wanted to open a doggy daycare and boarding kennel here but can't because of this.
Old October 28th, 2004, 10:32 AM

fostering

We are limited to 3 dogs per household and 2 cats per person in that household here in London. Ont. As for kennelling, I would imagine that a property outside of city limits would be required just to have the space for the animals and because of the noise. There are a number of in city boarding facilities, but I am in a residential area where no kennel would be allowed by bylaw. Too bad.....I have the perfect place for it: humongous yard near a park and a 52 acre abandoned orchard....perfect,no?
Old October 28th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Senior Contributor

WOW that does sound perfect.

We are in the country outside the city but we have neighbours on both sides of us, across the road is a very large conservation area I like to take my dogs to run and play, we have 5 acres here for them to roam on but sometimes I get bored with the same old trails and like a change of scenery.

Hopefully someday we can buy an old farm or alot of property so I can open a daycare or kennel. I can't imagine a better job!
Old October 28th, 2004, 11:43 AM

fostering

Well there is a kennel and property for sale near london and I have been salivating ever since I found out about it. Unfortunately, it is 1/2 a million to buy it and I haven't that kind of $$. I have no idea how to go about coming up with the $$ either. My husband is very keen on the idea too, but we are stuck. Too bad as I think it would be the opportunity of a lifetime, and I can do nothing about it
Old October 28th, 2004, 01:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I know how you feel, we looked at some perfect property a few weeks ago. 100 acres with lots of trees, very private and a natural spring but they wanted way to much.

Well we can keep dreaming and buying those lottery ticktes, who knows what the future may bring.
Old October 28th, 2004, 01:17 PM

How do adoption agencies feel about fostering in apartments? Not very good I would imagine.... I cannot have a dog permanently because I may not be in Canada after July next year, however I would love to do my bit and (i admit) have the companionship of a dog to take care of.

My apartment actually has a balcony area which goes down to a small yard however I can only imagine in Montreal in winter how unlikely it is that a dog would want to venture out in -30 deg cold!

Does anyone know of people fostering dogs in apartments or is it not done/acceptable?
Old October 28th, 2004, 05:38 PM

I live in an apartment, and the rescue i volunteered for never had a problem with me adopting, or fostering, as long as your aware of the added excersize requirements(no back yard) and your landlord is ok with it. The rescue will try to ensure that you foster a dog that fits the requirements for apartment life.
Old October 28th, 2004, 06:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I can only imagine in Montreal in winter how unlikely it is that a dog would want to venture out in -30 deg cold!
I live near Montreal, and my dog has to go out, -30 or not! A coat and boots are necessary for any short haired breed.

As Spurby said, you can foster in an apartment as you are willing to give the dog proper exercise. If you foster a very small dog, of course the requirements will be much less (depending on breed!)

Are you thinking of fostering for a local rescue? If so, which one?
Old October 29th, 2004, 10:07 AM

fostering

Well, my hubby and I have called to make an appointment to view the kennel property! We figure it doesn't cost to look and we may get some terrific ideas for the future. May even make a trip to the bank to see what they say! Apparently has fantastic list of repeat clients, so the $$ should roll in as it always has! Heck, my husband talked about it at work and 3 of his fellow workmates take their pets there now! It is reputable and busy. Who knows! I keep buying the lottery tickets too!
Old October 29th, 2004, 01:51 PM
Senior Contributor

I wish you all the best and I hope this works out for you!
Old October 29th, 2004, 02:05 PM

about fostering

Thank you Toonces. I'll let you know what happens, good or bad
Old October 30th, 2004, 08:51 AM

about fostering

Hey! My appointment to view the kennel is today at 5 p.m. and I am a nervous wreck! Such a big life change, if we go forward, but the finances will likely prevent us from taking this opportunity. The vendor is very anxious to meet us, because of our animal related skills and love of pets. She is looking for someone that is knowledgeable and caring and has been told of my background with animals and can't wait to meet us! I am going to go check my lottery #'s just in case a miracle has occured
Old October 30th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Thumbs up

Oh I am so excited for you! (and a wee bit envious as well hehe)

I hope it works out for you guys, the animals of this world need more nice kennels to stay at with people that love them and aren't just looking for a quick buck. We have none in this area that I like and would never leave my fur children there, we usaully have family stay when we are gone or get a pet sitter

Good luck and I will keep my fingers and paws crossed for you!
Old October 30th, 2004, 07:37 PM

kennel tour

Well it was fabulous! Perfect in every way. The owner was very nice and we seem to have hit it off terrifically. The only thing holding us back is lack of $$, so unfortunately, we will likely have to let this one go. The house was great and the quarters for the animals were in good condition, with some very minor touchups required. She has had several inquiries and some repeat showings, so I am sure someone with the right stuff will scoop it up post haste. Anyone out there got a few hundred thousand buckaroos they feel like sharing???
Old October 31st, 2004, 07:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Well at least its free to dream, and you probably got some good ideas for the future. All I can say is keep saving your pennies and buy those lottery tickets!

We are going to pick up our second foster dog today. He is a 2 yr old 91 lb gsd with no training what so ever. I am really looking forward to training him and I know my girls will whip him into shape if he gets out of line lol
Old October 31st, 2004, 07:28 AM

about fostering

Well, I dreamt all night about this place, go figure! If there is a will, there is a way, but you also can't get blood from a stone. What to do. I am going to look into financing options and talk to folks that can guide one thru this process, such as small business loan officer etc. , cause the $$ apparently does roll into this very busy establishment, and i would be happy to take the income and pay back the mortgage asap and live on scraps! My hubby would still keep his job and we might be able to manage it somehow. Got some numbers to crunch!

Good luck with your new addition. Sounds like a fun challenge!!
Old November 1st, 2004, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
I live near Montreal, and my dog has to go out, -30 or not! A coat and boots are necessary for any short haired breed.

As Spurby said, you can foster in an apartment as you are willing to give the dog proper exercise. If you foster a very small dog, of course the requirements will be much less (depending on breed!)

Are you thinking of fostering for a local rescue? If so, which one?
I've had a look at Rosie's Animal Adoption, I missed their adoption clinic this weekend just gone but there is another one on the 13th of November which I will definitely go to.

I'm really quite excited about the prospect of fostering a dog, I am aware of the extra exercise that would be required when fostering in an apartment which is no problem. It would be nice to provide a home for one of these poor animals!
Old November 2nd, 2004, 12:29 PM
~Cat Servent~

In Niagara we also have a limit, 3 dogs and 3 cats.... at one point I had 7 cats, but since 4 of those were fostered kittens it was ok. I called the Humane Society to find out why the limit and how it was enforced.... here they only check up on you if someone complains about you having too many pets, and was told also that if they are being well taken care of and you are only one or two pets over the limit, they do not usually require you to hand any over. They limit is in place to stop people from having like 20 animals running around their property, intact or being neglected. Also the limit does only apply to permanent residences of your home, so foster animals would not be included.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old November 5th, 2004, 04:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Hey there Lezzerprezzer,

Hows it goin with the funding? and luck yet? Haven't been able to get on here in awhile our new foster is keeping us very busy, but we are totally smitten with him he is very sweet and full of beans
Old November 5th, 2004, 12:01 PM

about fostering

well after deep thought and number crunching, my hubby and I decided that we will have to pass on this opportunity and are now focussing on doing the kennel thing in 5-7 years. Oddly enough, things are falling into place for us since we decided to take this route. A woman that my husband works with and dabbles in real estate has offered us some land when the time comes. She owns several hundred acres at different prime countryside locations and says we can then sever the lot and rent it out. She has renters lined up for this now, so it's never a problem. She says the kennel we viewed was terribly over priced for what we were getting and that we should try to do our own thing, build our own place etc. Also got advice from several folks in the financial/business fields and it all pretty much pointed us in the same direction. Funny, it felt like a weight lifted off my chest and I am now focused on a 5 year plan. It will happen, just not so soon. Thanks for the support!
Old November 5th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Thats great news, you have plenty of time to plan and build exactly what you want. I would go around and check out other kennels to get ideas and then I could make mine the best lol