Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 3rd, 2010, 12:22 PM

Pets on Planes?

Hey guys,

Just had a question that I wanted to get everyone's opinion on. I am finishing my teaching degree this year and I am trying to decide where I want to teach. As you know I have two cats.

Part of me just wants to stay in Ontario because I don't want to put my animals on a plane. But I do not want to miss out on opportunities (like teaching in the UK for example)

What is everyone's thoughts? Is it safe to travel with your animals? I would only be willing to do this if I could have them as my carry on.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 08:54 PM

I've seen cats in carriers on a plane from seattle to san fran (3 hr flight i think), but I really don't know about a longer flight. (i.e their bladder capabilities >_> )

Usually airlines would have a certain guidance on the size/dimensions of the carrier.

I also know some people tranquilize their pets but i think the problem is how the change in altitude on the plane affect them when under tranquilizer, I personally think it's quite effy, but i dont know what else they do for such a long flight. (From Ontario to UK is like 6~7 hours right?)
Old December 6th, 2010, 03:25 PM

I have the same fear! I want to move across the country in a few years.

However, I thought I would mention that there is a bigger reason to be concerned about taking a pet to the UK: they have incredibly strict (many say cruel) quarantine laws for animals brought into the country due to their rabies policy.

I think you need to get prior permission to bring an animal in, and then when you get there it's placed in a quarantine facility for a very long time. If I remember correctly, it's about 6 months in which you cannot bring your pet home and it lives in a kennel environment!

I have known people who will not move to the UK for that reason, and those who have given away pets to avoid putting them through that. It's really hard to know what to do but well worth looking into well ahead of time. I don't think any other country/locale has this length of quarantine.

RE: taking pets on planes -- I can, at the very least, suggest a really great carrier if you don't mind spending a bit: http://sleepypod.com/air

It folds in to be airline approved, but can fold out to give more room. I have 2 and use them for taking the cats to the vet. It's soft and cozy and has multiple clips and straps to properly seatbelt it in. My vets always ask me where I got it.
Old December 14th, 2010, 04:12 AM
Willing cat servant

Depends on the country and the airline. Some airlines will allow you to travel with your kennel under your seat (If the plane has this feature). Canada belongs to one of the rabies free countries on the international lists so quarantine laws might go easier as long as you have valid proof from a certified veterinarian of their shots up to date.
If I was you I wouldn't give up and research the options. Once I went through all that to bring 2 cats from Guadalajara, Mexico to Calgary, AB and at the beginning sounds overwhelming but it's actually not as hard as it seems. Research with the airline and with the government of the UK in regards of entering with pets to England if you come from Canada.
Old December 14th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Here's a link to the government agency in the UK that has all the info you need to import a cat or dog into the UK. Hope it helps.

clm

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pet.../territory.htm
Old December 14th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Senior Contributor

I know whenever my daughters friend comes to visit us in Ontario, she brings her cat with her all the time and has never mentioned having to quarantine it and we've picked her up at the montreal airport a few times.