Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 14th, 2007, 03:08 PM

Balding in dogs?!

A little while ago I noticed a light coloured spot on one of my dogs and thought it was bleaching from the sun (ok it was fall). Since then the spot has been getting lighter and upon closer inspection the hair is thinning. There is no redness, itching, scaling or anything else on the skin that I can see. It is not ichy for her. The hair is simply MIA, not chewed or scratched at.

Anyone else hear of this? It does not bother her, other than that she is healthy and I will mention it to my vet next time I see him, if I remember.

Any suggestions?
Old February 14th, 2007, 03:12 PM

Maybe alopecia?

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/alopecia_x.html
Old February 14th, 2007, 03:28 PM

What breed of dog do you have? Some breeds are prone to hair loss.
Old February 14th, 2007, 04:01 PM

It looks like my dog has the same problem too. He's a 15 mo. old male lab. The bald spot is at the back of his hind leg. Our vet gave him Panalog cream for 10 days with little improvement. We'll try another 2 weeks before skin biopsy. I will try other remedies before putting him thru this. The poor guy has been to the vet too many times.

BTW, thanks Prin for the link on Alopecia X.
Old February 14th, 2007, 04:06 PM

http://www.petplan.com/about/petpatt...allergies.aspx

It may possibly be caused by food allergies as the above article pointed out.
Old February 14th, 2007, 10:23 PM

Prin: can dogs really get Alopecia? that is a new one to me.

I dont think I would be allergies since nothing has really changed, we bought her last May and she developed this in the late fall, no change of food since we brought her home, hmm, I dont think there is anything else different. The spot is on her waist, about the size of a fist, and only there. I have looked for a bite, red spot or flaking but see nothing. She is 4 years old.

Thanks for you suggestions though.
Old February 14th, 2007, 10:25 PM

Yep, they can. The link I posted was info from a vet.
Old February 14th, 2007, 10:38 PM

Maybe I should take her in to have a blood test done, now that I think about it, I noticed it a little while after she had pups, could have something to do about that.

Well... if it's related to hormones we may just have to deal with it, but if it is genetic (Thyroid etc) that may be the end to her breeding career, :sad: .

Shorthairs dont normally have hair loss problems, and Hypothyroidism is not something that is common in this breed either.

Prin: what do you do that allows you to be on this board so often? just curious.
Old February 14th, 2007, 10:41 PM

LOL Right now, I'm looking for work. Before, I was a student, so that gave me a lot of time in front of the computer...
(hopefully it's a temporary phase.)
Old February 14th, 2007, 11:05 PM

OH is see, time to yourself, nice. I can only be on here when the kids are napping or in bed, which is where they are now. And since my hubby is in the U.S for a few days I am left to entertain myself. guess I really should hit the sack though, busy day tomorrow, but then again, every day is busy with 4 dogs and 2 kids in one house (not to mention the puppies I am now having to feed). People never seem to understand why I dont have the cleanest house on the road, hey, get over it, living beings are in this place, ugh! (sorry 'bout that, it's late and I'm tired.)

"See" you tomorrow?
Old February 14th, 2007, 11:09 PM

lol Hopefully not! I'm gone snowboarding (finally). But I'm around. I'm hooked, so I'm always around.

Only 4 dogs? That's not too many.
Old February 14th, 2007, 11:15 PM
-

Ooops...I thought I was in the TJT thread.
Old February 14th, 2007, 11:27 PM

lol I was gonna invite too many into the TJT...

Too many?

IHTM?

Hard to shorten that name.
Old February 15th, 2007, 01:21 AM
Senior Contributor

If you went to a greyhound adoption reunion you would see lots of bald dogs

One of my girl Callie

In some breeds common and no medical explanation

My other 2 Sunny and Maya go thru seasonal balding

And Winnie is just born that way

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
Old February 15th, 2007, 02:32 PM

Oh Ontariogreys you have a Chinese crested! When I first saw one I thought it was the ugliest dog ever (no offence), but after seeing more and more of them they kinda grow on you, but my hubby would just die if I ever suggested getting one, I thing he is afraid our pointers would play too hard with it trying to make it squeek.

Yah Prin this is getting a little off topic, oh well, I think I have enought to talk to my vet about anyways, I will keep you updated.
Old January 15th, 2008, 10:43 AM

Question Balding in dogs

Hi I have a three year old Cyprus poodle/terrier cross who although lively and loving his walks has started to loose his hair I get him trimmed regularly but these bald patches don't seem to grow new hair. I haven't noticed this in previous years. He was born in Cyprus and was there for his first year then we came back to the UK and he started loosing his hair about 2 months ago. I have been to the vets but she said unless he developed other symtoms it wasn't worth taking tests but to watch out for any. He does drink quite often but not large amounts. I have been thinking it could be Allopecia. Any replies would be appreciated.

Zigi's mum

Last edited by Zigi's mum; January 15th, 2008 at 11:13 AM.
Old January 15th, 2008, 04:51 PM

I'm a bit confused .... isn't alopecia a general term for hair loss, not a disease or whatever? I have a neice with alopecia but then they went on to find out what was causing it. Sorry, I don't know much about it in dogs but know low thyroid can cause it, also ringworm to some degree, mange and maybe diet? Good luck with it!