Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old June 22nd, 2006, 03:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Exclamation House almost burnt down due to Peat Moss!!! Warning to all!

Hey guys.

A word of caution.

I was driving down my street and saw a fire truck. Thinking oh wonder whats going on. Looks close to my house. Really close to my house. Is that my house? no thats not my house? is that my house? Its my house!!!!!!!!!!! OH MY GOD! All my neighbours were out and one obviously saw my face as I drove up and gave me the its ok sign. I get out and the fireman are pulling apart this wood flower pot that sits directly under my front windows. The side of its obviously producing smoke as I walk up to the firemen (yummy by the way) and asked um like what the hell???
Basically the previous owners had filled the pot with 100% peat moss. And as I understand it and as the fireman explained it peat moss can go through the same process as a compost hence why you have to mix it up occasionally.
Its an oxygen rich soil that when it rains or gets wet compacts it trapping oxygen within its self. That in turn the moisture and the breakdown of the peat moss by bugs and other bacteria causes more oxygen to be produced and trapped and when oxygen is rich enough I guess it gets hot then hotter. It got so hot it caught the planter on fire, literally on fire. The soil was smouldering hot and the fireman said it could have started a while ago but would have went undetected.

I realize my explanation is a little rough but its hard to explain. Just make sure you never use all peat moss, it should be mixed thouroghly with soil before anything.

To note meanwhile theres a big red fire truck in front of my house, firemen (did I say yummy) ripping down a pot that is practically right in the front yard, right under the window yet capone did not even get out of bed. I asked the firemen if the dog was bugging them and they said what dog.... I agree what dog??? They say pit bulls are bad guard dogs and boy do i have the proof!
Old June 22nd, 2006, 03:05 PM
Honest Contributor

holy bleeep! you got lucky there... yummy firemen or not, that was one close call! it is my very worst nightmare... a house fire and my dogs would be trapped inside. just thinking about it i'm breaking out in sweats. always wanted to get some of those stickers you put on your door to warn the firemen you have pets, how many & what kind... anybody know where to get those?

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old June 22nd, 2006, 03:20 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll
always wanted to get some of those stickers you put on your door to warn the firemen you have pets, how many & what kind... anybody know where to get those?
I got mine (phosphorescent) at a neighbourhood pet store - I've seen them in other pet stores. I used an indelible ink wide marker and outlined that with a phosphorescent marker to note all the dawgz' details.

Glad all worked out for you Luvmypit - scareeeeee.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 03:23 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG that's scary! Especially the fact that the fireman asked "what dog?". If there was a house fire.. who knows what would have happened?
Technodoll, there are many, here are a couple:
http://www.petalertdecal.com/home.htm
http://www.greatpetstuffonline.com/P...al-p13570.html
http://www.cafepress.com/jdpdesigns.53217966
Old June 22nd, 2006, 03:23 PM
Senior Contributor

I know! The firemen said it is actually pretty common. Crazy! I would have never known and when I tell people they don't bleieve me it can happen. Even my father in law who came to remove the wood pot holder which is huge by the way said he thought we over exagerated when we said fire but when he saw the two peices of wood with holes in it from burning he could not believe it!
Old June 22nd, 2006, 03:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh and I am soooo getting that sticker!!! The things you think could happen... shivers
Old June 22nd, 2006, 03:28 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
I got mine (phosphorescent) at a neighbourhood pet store - I've seen them in other pet stores
thank you for the info, and puppyluv for the links - i'll start asking around my local petstores, somebody's gotta have them!!

luvmypit,

who called the fire department?

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old June 22nd, 2006, 03:38 PM

Check your vet for fireman stickers, I got mine from them for free and it says:

Dear fireman
Can you please bring my
____ dogs and

_____cats and

______ to

(XXXX veterinary clinic, and has their address)

If anything was to happen, I will find all my animals at my vets office getting spoiled with treats!
Old June 22nd, 2006, 04:26 PM
Senior Contributor

My neighbours called. My next door guy said he smellt something burning at 1 ish and I came home at 7:45 pm or so. Apparently my two neighbours tried to put it out but they realized quickly that it was more serious then it looked as they moved around the peat moss and it was crackling and popping. They managed to put out the actual fire that had engulfed two wood slats. They said the fire department was there in about 7 - 8 minutes. Needless to say I thanked the firemen and he said thank your neighbours who called just in time. It really was surreal. And then all my neighbours are out and watching my house and of course I am the young one on the street so i felt what they were thinking.
I still can't bleieve capone didnt even realize...
Old June 22nd, 2006, 04:35 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

I'm glad to hear everything is alright. Phew!

As for peat moss, I've never really cared for it. I never had a reason, but now I do.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 06:06 PM
Senior Contributor

This was a similar thread a year and a half ago. The information is appropriate.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....t=fire+sticker
Old June 22nd, 2006, 07:02 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

O My gosh!! I'm soooo glad Capone is ok!! That just scared me!

Glad to hear you didn't lose anything!!! Good riddens to that planter and thank goodness for good neighbours!!! That must have been super scary!
Old June 22nd, 2006, 07:46 PM

I'm so glad everything turned out ok for you, your house and Capone. Scary!!
Old June 22nd, 2006, 10:08 PM

I'm glad nothing serious happened... Now we know. (Lucky I don't know enough about gardening to have used peat before...)
Old June 23rd, 2006, 03:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Its hard to believe that such a thing could happen. It was super scary. Nothing like pulling up to your house to see firemen in the driveway Thank god they were good looking...lol

But thanks everyone! The firemen said it was quite common which is scary wanted to make sure other people know about this too cause I sure as heck didn't!!
Old June 23rd, 2006, 06:14 PM

Holy geez!! What a scare that must have been! Glad to hear everyone's ok, though. Nice to know your fella's being a good pittie ambassador!

And, yes, those firemen sure are yummy, aren't they? I always enjoy those 'boot drive days' in the WalMart parking lot. My sister and I just keep driving around the parking lot, pulling up to them again and again and again ... gets a little expensive after a while, though. But, hey, it's for a good cause, right?!
Old June 23rd, 2006, 06:20 PM
owned by Tucker

Hey LMP do you live in Whitby, one of my friends and a boss at work said there was a bad traffic jam there yesterday due to a house fire, was it yours?
Old June 23rd, 2006, 06:49 PM
Senior Contributor

I am really glad everything turned out okay.That is also one of my big fears fire and my baby being inside. I have the stickers on both my doors. Possessions can be replaced our pets and family can't. I'm glad Capone the watchdog is okay.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old June 23rd, 2006, 07:32 PM
-

I'm glad the doggy and the house are ok!Maybe you could ask the yummy fireman to do a house inspection just to make sure there is no other dangerous stuff around As for the sticker,I got one long time ago at J.E.Mondou but they don't glow in the dark
Old June 24th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Senior Contributor

I am sorry to hear of the incident but glad it turned out well in the end.

In my neighbourhood, the fire dept sent out a questionnaire and asked for the layout of houses, occupants - including pets - and while I know it now prob breaks the new privacy legislation, I did fill it in and update it as needed. I also have a notice on the doors re the cats. They also come around every so often giving out free smoke detectors and other info, usually during Fire Prevention Week - and they'll check to make sure the detectors you have are working properly. I call that good service for my taxes!

Once when I was living in an apt bldg - and was a univ student at the time - my roomate and I heard a fire siren and watched a fire truck. We were astonished to see it arrive at our building!!! No alarm or anything. It was simply a trash fire but I still thought there should have been an alarm!! We have alarms at the hospital for more minor incidents.

Last edited by CyberKitten; June 24th, 2006 at 12:53 PM.
Old June 28th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Doggy lover : I live in Ajax close to Whitby. but not my house. Thank god! I was however lucky enough to be stuck in that traffic. My usual drive is about 30-45 minutes. It took me 2 hours to get home that day because of the highway gawkers.
W4F i know exactly what your saying. I was even thinking of lighting a small twig on fire, throwing in the pot holder calling the fire department and saying I think it started again... save me... oh save me please. lol but i know I could cost a lot of lives by distracting the fire department blah blah blah..... lol