Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 16th, 2010, 11:44 AM

Dog Peeing in Hose Questions. with Deatails!

I know that this one comes up quite a lot, but every dog is different so here it goes.

We adopted our (what the shelter said) Jack Russel Mix (He looks pure Jack Russel to is) about 6 months ago, he had a check up a few weeks after we got him and the vet said he is healthy as a horse (no pun intended). He is 2 years old by the way, we don't really know his history but curiously enough his chip was registered to an animal hospital before he went to the shelter, but they never answered there phone.

ANYWAY

2 year old Male (yes Neutered) Jack Russel (Mix)

He has been peeing in the house recently, he did it a few times when we first got him and figured it was just because of a new surroundings, but now we are losing patience.

He is Kennel trained and NEVER has peed in his Kennel we don't keep him in there EVER for more than 4 hours but even in that four hours he wont pee.

BUT

When we are home and we take him out at the latest every two hours but within that two hours sometimes he will pee, right in front of us too... I don't get how he can go four hours (in his kennel) or 9+ hours at night, but when we are home he can't wait 30 more min.

We clean it up every time with natures miracle as to get rid of the smell.

We have given him treats when he pee's in the grass and praise him as well.

(on a side note sometimes he will also pee in the morning after we get up, my Fiance finds this extremely frustrating ((which it can be)) but I assume it is because he has gone 9+ hours without a bathroom break and that it is more or less our fault when it happens in the morning.) {but my main issue is the times he does it when its only been an hour or so since he last went.}

Thanks! Gordon from
Old October 16th, 2010, 11:57 AM

To Add.

Jax (his name) is extremely smart and clever, he has gotten out of his Kennel twice when we were away, and knows how to get out of his Harness if we don't pay attention. So I don't think it is a lack of knowledge by any means..

are we bad owners or doing something incorrectly, we love Jax a lot and would never give him up, he is great at making you feel better when your down, and fun to play with, just the peeing is getting old.

I think i forgot to mention we live in an apartment that is why we are unable to let him out into a yard more often, do you think a Training pad on our back patio would be a good idea and get a small dog door so he can go out there if he is in dire need of a potty break?
Old October 16th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Welcome to the site! Gosh dont they just frustrate you! especially when you know they can hold it. I would use the umbilical cord method where he is attached to you and does and goes wherever you go! this way you can monitor him for signs and corret them immediately. If he pee'd a few hours ago and you come upon it, he really doesnt know at that moment what you may correct him for. If you catch him in the act then you can immediately deal with it by picking him up taking him outside and once he pee's then praise him like crazy!!!

They usually catch on quickly because as you may not like them tethered to you they dont want to be either!

Good Luck
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old October 16th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Senior Contributor

I spoke to a terrier breeder once about my friends dog. A male dog such as this breed needs to mark territory as it can get bored easily. Even neutered. Try going for more frequent walks and let him pee on all the spots he wants....... Even my manchester ever so often right in front of me pees on something, one time it was my own foot and another time it was on a kid on the floor. It's a very dominating character.
Old October 18th, 2010, 08:34 PM

Please help

UPDATE:

Now 3 times in the past 5 days he has decided to poop in the house.... one was early in the morning before we took him out so we figured it was that ... but just 10 min ago he did (for the third time) and I took him out.. 45 min ago and he pee'd then sniffed a bit then he led me back to the house i didn't not force him to leave.... should i make a vet appointment at this point do you think he could be sick?
Old October 18th, 2010, 08:37 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

It's possible, Gordon. A significant behavior change can certainly signal a physical problem. At this point, a vet visit would be a very good place to start.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 19th, 2010, 06:53 AM

More potty training can solve this issue. If he can hold his pee for at the most nine long hours at night in his kennel then definitely, he has good control of his sphincters and you can do away with sickness issues like UTI.
By the time you potty train him (more, and as soon as now) kindly stick to a single method. He'll pick 'em up better and he will not be having lots of problems following thru since he has good good bladder control.
Old October 19th, 2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwhitefurball View Post
More potty training can solve this issue. If he can hold his pee for at the most nine long hours at night in his kennel then definitely, he has good control of his sphincters and you can do away with sickness issues like UTI.
By the time you potty train him (more, and as soon as now) kindly stick to a single method. He'll pick 'em up better and he will not be having lots of problems following thru since he has good good bladder control.
so just continue to praise him when he goes to the bathroom in the grass.
Old October 19th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Floppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon325 View Post
I think i forgot to mention we live in an apartment that is why we are unable to let him out into a yard more often, do you think a Training pad on our back patio would be a good idea and get a small dog door so he can go out there if he is in dire need of a potty break?
If you decide to use the umbilical cord method you might want to put a sod bed on your patio. That way you can rush Jax outside and he can go on the grass, just as he would when he's on a walk. I've seen them at Bosley's Pet Food & Supplies. But I suppose if you're the handy type, you could make one for yourself.

Otherwise, welcome to the wonderful world of Jack Russell Terriers They are wonderfully intellegent dogs, and stuborn (according to my MIL, who used to raise then in New Zealand). Good luck, it sounds like Jax will keep you hopping for a few years yet!

I try to greet the world like my pets do...boundless enthusiasm, intense curiosity and no concept of yesterday and tomorrow.

Tags
bathroom, jack russell, pee, peeing, urine