Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old January 22nd, 2009, 04:15 PM

Kanis-grifon

Hello,i took a 1 year old male kanis-grifon.the first day he pee all over my house.I cleaned everything up and spend the next 2-3 days trying to implament the Supervision Method.I thnik i made some progres,as he stopped peeing all the time.Now he pees only when he see the rope i use to take him for a walk,he start's to run all over the house and at the same time pee..(i stil can't understand how he does it..).Also,whenever i let him alone home or even go to another room and close the door,when i return,again,he has peed everywhere...

I am desperate!!please help me if you can!!
Old January 25th, 2009, 06:04 PM

Another pee-er - what do we try next?

We adopted my in-law's 6 year old border collie/lab/? mix two months ago. She had always lived outside, and had never really been house trained. Now she is mostly in the house, and we've been trying to housetrain her. The trainer at obedience class (we're working on that, too) suggested we let her in the house for an hour of "family time" immediately after she pees outside, then put her in a crate or on a rope in the garage until she needs to go again. We did this for about a week and a half, and it seemed to work great. No messes in the house. She quickly figured out what we wanted her to do when we took her outside. However, that's been over a month ago, and we are still having problems. Things are much better than at first, so we're seeing progress, but we can't keep her crated half of every day, and it's just sad to leave her out in the garage all the time! She still pees in the house almost every day unless we are extremely vigilant, keeping her under close supervision the whole time, or unless we take her out every hour and a half.

Here are two specific problems I see at this point. 1) We haven't figured out how she signals that she needs to go out -- no scratching, no whining, etc. The trainer suggested hanging a bell on the doorknob, low enough that she can nose it. She has learned that when the bell rings, the door is going to open (she'll run to the door when it rings), but she has never nosed the bell herself. How do we figure out when she needs to go out?

2) She won't go pee outside unless we are actually out there with her. If we just put her outside, she'll play for a few minutes, but not go pee, then she comes and sticks her head through the cat door and just stands there. If one of us goes outside with her, she bounces for a minute or two, then goes pee, and then runs back to the door. How do we break the habit of needing us outside before she'll go pee outside?
Old January 28th, 2010, 02:52 PM

Unhappy 4 year old dog all of a sudden peeing and marking my boyfriend

I have an almost 4 year old male chihuahua. Recently he has been acting out, i think. Peeing, crying, whining all the time, recently it has gotten much much worse. He peed on my boyfriends bed, barred his teeth at him and me and then PEED on my boyfriend in his car! we are moving in together soon , and it has gotten to the point of fixing this problem FAST or my puppy will have to go. I am soo torn i don't know what to do. i want to keep both of them in my life. Please help.
Old January 28th, 2010, 02:56 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Have you had him to the vet, Angeluvzu? It's not unheard of for male dogs to get urinary tract infections--he'd be uncomfortable, maybe complaining more and peeing inappropriately. So your first stop should be the vet to rule out a physical problem if you haven't been there already.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 28th, 2010, 03:55 PM

hazelrunpack- yes, they said there is nothing wrong, they have theories, that he is being aggressive towards my boyfriend bc he feels threatened by him as to he has been the only male in the household, but i need it to stop asap, it has been getting worse,. He tried to give him a bath today and my dog turned and tried to bite him. If this progresses, i wont have a choice anymore and HAVE to get rid of him.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 12:17 PM

Hello, I have an 8 month old crested who has taken to peeing in my front hall and on the mat that I have at my front door. My husband and I just replaced the old mat that was at the front door because she had ruined it. She doesn't pee in the house when we aren't home as we have crate trained her but she will pee in the hall when we are home.
Any suggestions as to how we can stop this behaviour as it is really frusturating.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 12:43 PM
Senior Contributor

If she's doing that she's either not fully house trained or she's marking.

Either way you need to be watching her at all times because she can't be trusted when you're not watching. Every time she gets away with it she learns that it's ok.
If necessary you can leash or tether her while you're there so she can't wander off out of your site.

Do it like you would housetraining a young puppy. Don't punish after you find an accident because she won't understand. You'll need to catch her in the act and immediately stop her and take her outside.
You also need to completely clean the areas with a urine remover so that there is no smell to cause her to pee there or mark (even if YOU can't smell it she might be able to).

At 8 months old you're perhaps trusting her to be housetrained too soon. A lot of dogs aren't completely housetrained by that age and if you slack off and allow her to have accidents while you're not paying attention you will have to start over again.
Old March 24th, 2010, 03:43 PM

I am currently using baking foil to prevent my 6 year old Maltese from peeing on my curtains. It sems to work for now. He used to pee there 2-3 times a day and now when he comes close and wants to step on it, it makes noise to he hasn't. Now for 2 days. I just put it right along the curtains
Old March 24th, 2010, 10:12 PM

So my husband and i tried to confine her to our living room when we are home, as our crested was peeing in the front hall. we thought that keeping her in the living room would help us keep a close watch on her. before getting ready for bed tonight we let our dog outside to go pee, she laid down in the mud so my husband let her back in the house we took the gate down so that we could go to bed. i had to do a few little things in the kitchen and when i went to the stairs to go to bed there was pee on the floor.
we tried the nature's miracle spray on the floor because thats what i've read to do on here and it doesn't seem to be working.
please help us
Old April 3rd, 2010, 05:15 PM
Senior Contributor

You should really start your own thread.

Regardless though, you didn't follow the advice and at some point you left the dog unsupervised, so I'm not sure how to help you further. You HAVE to supervise her. If she's going to be left alone she needs to be crated.

If you keep leaving her unsupervised periodically then no advice is going to help you.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 07:15 PM
-

CCHorley ~ I too wish you would start your own thread .

It sounds like a need to return to puppy-101 for potty training. Rather than letting her out in the back on her own, you need to be with her in the yard or out walking her, doing so until she does her biz. Then praising her like a mad booger when she does her biz outside. You may also want to restrict her water intake a few hours before bed.
Old May 20th, 2010, 06:58 AM

I have a 3 year old doxi-poo. She wont stop peeing in the house. I have a dog door that gives her 24/7 acess to outside. She pees anywhere she want weather Im home or not . Help Im ready to lock her outside. Also I crated her and she peed in that to
Old May 21st, 2010, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeluvzu View Post
hazelrunpack- yes, they said there is nothing wrong, they have theories, that he is being aggressive towards my boyfriend bc he feels threatened by him as to he has been the only male in the household, but i need it to stop asap, it has been getting worse,. He tried to give him a bath today and my dog turned and tried to bite him. If this progresses, i wont have a choice anymore and HAVE to get rid of him.
My Silkie Terrier does the same thing around little kids, unfortunately I have not solved that aggression issue because I don't currently have my dog with me, my advice is to encourage the good behavior (if he ever shows it) by praise or treats, and discourage the bad behavior by either removing him from the room or try a squirt bottle, (the squirt bottle doesn't always work, but sometimes it does) if the dog wants to be with you he will eventually learn that he needs to be nice or he can't be around you, only keep him away for a few min, and then introduce him to the room again. IMMEDIATELY remove him when he growls or bares his teeth, or bites, or something like that, otherwise he isn't going to know what he did. Sometimes you may think that they know exactly what they are doing wrong, but trust me, they don't have a clue. Another tip, do not under any circumstances hit/spank him. That just encourages the aggression, and make sure that your boyfriend isn't either. I am not judging you, trust me look at some of my threads, I have been thoroughly chewed out over things that have been happening with my dog, so I am just giving advice. Remember, your boyfriend is the new cat in town and the dog is trying to show that he's in charge, take charge and let him know that it's not OK by reinforcing the good behavior and discouraging the bad. It's not going to get better overnight, but keep working on it, your training needs to be consistent, every time he does something good (sniffs instead of biting, or quietly sitting instead of baring his teeth or barking) you HAVE to praise him, or he will get confused, and every time he barks at him, or bites, or bares his teeth (peeing also constitutes bad behavior) remove him from the situation, don't stay with/by him in the other room/crate either, because that's what he wants, you to be away from your boyfriend, you have to let him know that you are in charge, not him. The peeing around/on your boyfriend could be submissive peeing, although I doubt it, I think it may be him trying to prove that he's the one in charge. Remember, in training consistency is key. Hope this helps ( I would totally be doing this with my dog, except I don't have him with me), and the best of luck to you.

Andy (dog)-birthday October 16, 2007
Sophie (cat)-birthday March 20 2009
Annabelle (cat)-passed away March 2010
Missy (cat)-not sure when her birthday is, she was a rescue

Andy lives with my cousin in New Mexico, the cat's live in Missouri with my parents. All are very loved

*Rip Michael, we will all love and miss you very much. Love ya bud*
Old May 21st, 2010, 01:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by taffybadgirl View Post
I have a 3 year old doxi-poo. She wont stop peeing in the house. I have a dog door that gives her 24/7 acess to outside. She pees anywhere she want weather Im home or not . Help Im ready to lock her outside. Also I crated her and she peed in that to
There are a couple of things that come to mind.

Peeing in the crate is not normal for an adult dog. The crate may too big, in which case she's using part of it to pee and laying away from the pee. Also, how long did you leave her in it? If not too big then I'd be concerned about a bladder infection. A bladder infection would cause her to not be able to hold it long enough to get outside. It could also make her pee more frequently than usual, because she's not getting all of it out at once.

How much is she drinking? If she's drinking a lot and peeing a lot then there may be other health issues at work. Diabetes is one that comes to mind that will cause overconsumption of water. There are also other illnesses such as kidney infections that will cause overconsumption of water and a lot of peeing.

If I would you I'd be VERY concerned that she is sick. Some of the illnesses that can cause uncontrollable peeing are very serious. She needs to see a vet to rule out any physical condition that may be causing her accidents.
Old June 6th, 2010, 06:02 AM

One question do you still sleep with your dog if you do stop it. All you need to do is get a crate. If you have a crate good, use it. How often does your dog need to go pee if you dont know check your dog. For example, if your dog pees about every 30 min then take her outside every 3o min so she can pee. If she pees inside your house you will need to put her in the crate until she learns her lesson. If you go to Petco you will need to buy a pad. A pad is where the dog can go to pee and poo on. It just like a mat. Put that pad in your bedroom so she knows. If she pees in your room tell her "bad girl" and then you show her where to pee which is the pad. You will know if dogs are going to pee because they spin or twirl first if they need to go pee or poo. If she poos do the same thing say "bad girl" but you carry the poo and put it on the pad so next time she knows where to pee or poo. If she poos it will be easier her to find out where the pad is for the first time before she starts peeing or pooing in your bedroom. If she pees or poos in your bedroom and you think she was trained put her in the crate. Oh ya about you sleeping with your dog, dont sleep with your dog.When you go to sleep put her in the crate. If she whines tell just ignore her. After about 2 or 3 min she will stop whining and fall asleep. Make sure water is in the crate or else she will get dehydrated. It takes time. If that dosen't work tell me.
Old June 6th, 2010, 06:08 AM

get her a pad and a lot of dogs twirl and spin before they pee if you see that put her on the pad if she tries to run away stand up and look at her, you ahve to make eye contact. She will start peeing there if you always put her on the pad if your dog is about to poo or pee. It might takes about 4 days for her to get use to it. My dog only took a day for her to start to get use to it. Some dogs are and some dogs are slow, you need patients. So she pees in her crate right if she does say bad girl and let her sniff her pee that she peed in the crate when she sniffed put her on the pad and let her sniff the pad. TRY, AND BE PATIENT!!!!
Old June 6th, 2010, 06:10 AM

oh and if she pees a lot and she might have a bladder infection. It can happen.
Old June 6th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Senior Contributor

I have found if I don't take out my terrier for a regular walk he pays back by peeing in the house. It's almost out of boredom.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 12:53 AM

I have a 7 mo. old spayed APBT who potties in the house. We've taken her to the vet - everything checked out fine. We take her out constantly throughout the day (I'm not currently employed so I can watch her/walk her etc.) and she's crate trained. What bothers me is that it's like she doesn't realize it when she has to go? We've limited her water intake which has helped significantly with this but there are still times where she'll just squat and go. No sniffing or twirling or heading to a particular spot.... just boom! all over the floor. (thank goodness for hardwood floors!)

Even when my husband or myself are standing right in front of her. We've tried the scare tactic (told to us by a trainer at a puppy class we took her to) but it doesn't phase her at all. Pointing to it and saying "bad girl" etc... mad praise for going outside.... Nothing seems to stop the random peeing. She lets us know when she has to go outside to poop. (usually she's out so often because of the peeing she doesn't need to tell us) But no warning usually when she has to pee.

Should we just try limiting her water even more? I hate to deprive her of water but at this point I don't think there's much else I can do. The only other thing the vet said was that she seemed to have a really small bladder...

Oh and training pads/newspaper doesn't work either. She shreds them in a heartbeat.
Old July 14th, 2010, 05:49 PM

If at all possible, please help!

I have 3 small mixed breed dogs. One female & two males. The female is 7 years old & barks when she wants to go out to " use the bathroom. " The problem is my other two. They are 2 & 3 years old but they still pee in the house. Even when i have the back door open they still pee & poo in the house. We have a little fenced off area for them to use in but still they use in the house as well. This is not a new thing, they have always done this & my mom said we have to get rid of them. I love them very much & I do not want them to go. I was thinking getting them neutered would help but someone told me it won't because they are in such a habit of doing it now. If anyone could help it would be GREATLY appreciated.
Old November 8th, 2010, 10:35 AM

Peeing in the house

My dog just started to pee in the house....right in front of us. We'll feed her, and the other 2 dogs, just like we always have. In the same spot we always have....and then she will squat right there and pee! The other dogs go out their doggie door right after they eat, and she used to as well, but in the past couple days she just started to pee on the rug.

Normally, my in-laws are home w/ them all day, but they are now on vacation and the dogs are home by themselves all day. They have a doggie door and can come and go on their own. This hasn't been a issue before.

Yesterday we were gone all day, no problems. But, again, right after we fed them.....she squatted down, 2 feet from her bowl, and peed.

WHAT is going on?
Old November 8th, 2010, 10:48 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

msantus, is this the same dog you posted about before--or an addition to your household? If an addition, was the other dog's problem ever resolved?

One last question--have you had her to the vet to rule out UTI?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 8th, 2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
msantus, is this the same dog you posted about before--or an addition to your household? If an addition, was the other dog's problem ever resolved?

One last question--have you had her to the vet to rule out UTI?
This is actually my first posting on this board. The dogs were just to the vet to have blood work done in order to have their teeth professionally cleaned tomorrow.
Old November 8th, 2010, 11:54 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Looks like there was one about Marley on page one of this thread back when you joined? Just trying to get a picture of any changes that might have been made since your first post...

A UTI wouldn't necessarily have shown in blood work, so it might be a good idea to have the vet run a urinalysis tomorrow before she's sedated for her dental cleaning. Often, a sudden change in peeing behavior can signal a physical problem, like a bladder infection.

Hope all goes well tomorrow! Do we get pics of them all with their shining white newly-cleaned smiles tomorrow?

Old November 27th, 2010, 09:56 AM

Unhappy Help me please

I'm going to give you history on my puppy and then tell you what's going on. First I got my dog Sept 2009. He was 6months old when I got him. He's a full blooded wiener dog. I adore this little guy so much. Brodie pee'd on everything when I first got him. He pee'd on my bed numerous times, the floor etc. Soon he stopped peeing on my bed but still pee'd on the floor. I found out that the apartment I was living in had black mold on the floor and that's what he was peeing on. I moved into my sisters house with her and her 2 bigger puppies and 2 cats. It was great he loves the animals. However they have their own little room in the back. He seems to pee on the excerise equipment in the back room and now just pees in the backroom whenever.

Ok so he stopped peeing on things after I got him fixed but now he's doing it again. He was fixed about a month ago....I have tried everything...Vinegar and water and all that. He's really good at waking me up at night when he has to potty but still pottys in the back room....Please help me...my sister is getting mad because her dogs are now starting to do it too.
Old January 7th, 2011, 06:56 AM

Dog pees when upset

Hi folks,

I have a 5 lb female Maltese age 5. She is fine when I'm in the house--she always goes on the wee-wee pad. However, sometimes either when I leave her alone for a long time (more than a few hours) or if she thinks I am taking her out but I don't, she pees on the carpet. I am no expert on dog training, but it seems to me she is trying to punish me for leaving her alone.

I can contain her in a small walk-in kitchen, but she loves sitting on the couch and looking out the window. She is used to that spot and having free roam of the house. I would hate to take that small comfort away from her while she waits alone for me to come home. However, I am sure my landlord will make me pay for a new rug if she continues to do this.

Is there anything I can do to stop her from "retaliating" against me (if that is what she is doing)? Or must I either live with the problem or lock her in the kitchen?

Your suggestions are much appreciated.

Mike
Old April 6th, 2011, 02:43 PM

Dog peeing in yard

We have a 9 mon old female Lab and 2 other older Labs, we live in the country with hundreds of acres for our dogs to roam and have approx 500 sq ft sod lawn in front of our home, living in the desert southwest our dogs love the cool green oasis of grass to lay in the heat of the summer, our problem is the 9 mon old roams all over the acres only to come home to poop/pee in the grass, we don't want to fence the grass off from them becouse the old dogs have it figured out, they poop during there roaming, how do we get the pup to stop pooping in the oasis???
Old April 7th, 2011, 05:36 PM
1st the wolf than the dog

In my vew point dogs do this for mark their territory since they fill insecure or being dominant, first talk with your vet and than you will make your conclusions!
Old July 27th, 2011, 04:56 PM

Puppy Troubles

I have a 1-year-old spayed Chihuahua that cannot go to the bathroom outside because it gets too cold for her in the winter. We have a tray that she is supposed to go to the bathroom in and it is in her small enclosed pen. Whenever we let her roam around (with the pen open so that she could access the tray), she goes on the floor. I've tried reprimanding her, but it doesn't work. She just feels guilty, but then does the same later on. I feel like she may be afraid of the pen because it's where we keep her when we're away, but we need something to contain her in. Can anyone help me stop Chloe from peeing on the floor? I don't want to have to give her away, she means too much to me.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 08:25 PM

Hi everyone,
I'm new here but I have been reading up on everyone's posts about this issue for awhile. My dog is a Morkie (Maltese + Yorkie) and I have had him for about 3-4 years now. As with everyone here, I have been finding it very difficult to keep up with his mess everytime I leave the house. He pees on the training matt provided indoors when there are people around him, but when we leave the house even for an hour, there will be piles of pee everywhere! I noticed that he doesn't pee all at once, he pee's about every 30 minutes or so (sprays everything he sees)! I was told he was just marking his territory, but he doesnt seem to be able to pee all at once... I live with others and as difficult as it is for me, it is affecting them too. I honestly do not want to give him up, but I've tried pretty much everything already (e.g. let him out very often, take away his water, restricting him to only downstairs, etc) please, if anyone has any other suggestions please let me know. thanks.

Last edited by xsimplicity; December 22nd, 2011 at 09:20 PM.

Tags
training