Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old May 24th, 2013, 04:58 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Trainers using inappropriate things for training

What do you all think about trainers using things like war memorials etc to train their clients dogs to sit/stay. This involves making the dog jump up onto the statue or memorial and sit. Cool or not cool? Also sitting on window ledges of stores and restaurants.
Old May 24th, 2013, 06:49 PM

Some ''trainers'' seem to be ok with disrespecting public property and bylaws. That's why they go from city to city and to other countries. Not cool, ever.
Old May 25th, 2013, 12:29 PM
Senior Contributor

I think the fire hydrant one is cute. Not the others and certainly not the war memorial.

If I know the training franchise you are thinking of, I've had some conversations with the one closest to me and let's just say the lack of knowledge is impressive, the claims made as to trainer's experience in the show ring could not be verified and the bragging about not needing to know any dog training theory was thoroughly frightening.
Old May 25th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

this trainer wouldn't know the first thing about showing dogs!! Let's just say trainer was trained by a Canadian so called celebrity trainer...using the word trainer lightly!!
Old May 25th, 2013, 12:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Not cool at all! we have a memorial plaque for fishermen at dies at sea . It's on the boardwalk and people let their dogs piss on it. Marty want to pee on it but I will not let him. I wonder how the trainer would feel about people using a grave stone for one of their family member as a training tool. I would not use a dog trainer that did this.
Old May 27th, 2013, 11:45 AM

Definitely not cool using the memorial or other people's property without permission. I understand the logic of wanting to get your dog to do the same command in as many places as possible to proof the command. I'm okay with using things like benches, or that are part of a park's playground equipment, provided there are no kids around (you aren't going to accomplish much with kids there anyway). The people who use other people's property without permission, or memorials that other people have deep feelings for risk getting all dog owners banned from public locations. There are already so many places you can't take your dog, can only take them on a leash, etc. we don't need more restrictions placed on us due to thoughtless owners and trainers.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-