Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 29th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Ragdoll Mom

Question Cat's broken toe nail...questions and venting

Hello,

Missy ripped off one of her toe nails last weekend on Sunday morning, naturally I took her to emergency as soon as I noticed all the blood, one of her toe nails came right off on her back foot (this is now the 2nd time, but not sure if it's the same nail...) The emergency cleaned her up gave her a shot of metacam and only applied the bandage because I asked them to. The doc said this was no big deal at all. I was supposed to follow up with my vet 3 days later. Missy kicked off the bandage by Monday night, she seemed fine, no blood and walking normally. We went to our vet on Thursday for the follow up, they called me to the back room, Missy's foot was bleeding all over. I asked what happened they told me that when they tried to clean it, it started to bleed because she was starting an infection, so they wanted to clean it, bandage it back up, and send her home with anitbiotics and metacam for pain and inflamation. Only they strongly recommended blood work before the metacam. So the bill came to 230.00 (more than emergency) so we started the antibiotics, she kept the bandage on and we went back today for another recheck, today they shaved the foot completely, applied some cream, had to buy a collar for her and got the metacam. This episode has now cost me almost 600 dollars, is it me or am I getting ripped off??? Eveything I read says this shouldn't be a big deal??? she seemed fine before we went for the first followup after emergency....Anyways just wanted to hear from others that may have had this experience and also does ANYONE (the vet wasn't sure)know how long it takes for that toe/nail to get to a point where she won't easily bleed again and it's safe for her to play with the other 2 cats. Of course they chase each other and pounce on each other so I am scared she will get caught in the carpet again...would love to hear other's experiences.

Last edited by kahula; March 29th, 2008 at 05:13 PM. Reason: changed notification setting
Old March 29th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

My cats have lost lots of claws, but have never had a bleeder. My first dog however was quite prone to it. As long as he pulled the claw clean I used to just put his paw in cold (ice cold water), to stop the bleeding.

It sounds like an aweful lot of money for a pulled claw, but I haven't seen it and the vet has. It shouldn't take that long for it to heal if there's no infection. You could try another vet if your trouble continues. If they did a blood panel, there might be some answers there if the cat is having trouble healing.

Cindy
Old March 29th, 2008, 06:51 PM

When we moved to where we are now my cats were in their carrier and my father in laws dog snuck out of the bedroom to say hello to the cats. Well Forest tried to swat him through the carrier( I wasn't fast enough) and broke off one of his nails, it didn't come right out so I don't know if it would be the same for you, but it was broken right down to the nail bed.

Because I had worked in a clinic for many years I already knew what they would do so I didn't go to the vet(if I hadn't worked there I would have gone to a vet). I did however call the clinic I had just left to check that what I was doing was ok. I bandaged the foot(stayed on long enough for the bleeding to stop) then trimmed the hair around the toe and soaked his foot three times a day in hydrogen peroxide(diluted a little with water) for a few minutes, making sure that the peroxide got in there(gentle massage and having him put weight on it, I used a small drinking glass). I kept a close eye on it for infection and smelled every day. He was really good about it, and I rinsed the foot after and patted it dry(didn't want him ingesting any peroxide if he licked it). I did the soaking three times a day for about 2 weeks. But still continued to check it everyday and smell it for any infection. I manged to keep it from getting infected and after a couple weeks it looked like it was healing. Nail has fully recovered since.

If I had at any time noticed it was getting infected I would have gone to the vet.

Anyhoo that's what I did. Maybe if you clean it every day it will help. I think if it starts to bleed it is because it's infected and the only way for the gunk to leave is for it to bleed(sort of like an abcess, it eventualy has to pop). I would still ask the vet if it's ok to soak it or if there is something better to soak it in(my former boss was pretty lax about the whole thing and figured that I would see the signs and take him in). He (forest)did continue to do what he always does in a day but was little more carefull about it as it must have hurt. I am all for pain meds but with things like this don't think it's needed, if they're not in pain they won't be carefull with their foot. If it hurts they know to be careful. Believe me I don't want any animal in pain but you can't tell them to take it easy...well you can but they just look at you like your stupid.

Again just my and I am always for going to a vet or calling and asking for advice.
Old March 29th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Ragdoll Mom

Thanks for the tips..few more questions

Thanks soo much for responding. Missy did definately break it right down the quick (sp?) is exposed. Her blood tests came back normal everything is good and there is no infection or it's not getting worse, she thinks we started the antibiotics on time.

If you have any more comments on these issues I would love to hear from you:

1. Her foot is shaved now and totally exposed, she is supposed to stay away from the clay litter we use, but she won't use anything else and I have 2 other cats, I am scared if I take away the clay litter I will have issues.

2. Missy absolutely refuses to let me do anything to her, I can't groom her or cut her nails or think of applying anything to her feet, I did get some liquid from the vet to wash her feet in but I have no idea how I am going to do it, I live alone and don't have anyone to help hold her down.

3. everyone is going nuts because right now I have her in the spare room with her own litter(non clay) and food so that the other cats don't try and play with her, but everyone is upset and crying clawing at doors, is it really necessary to keep her soo confined.
Old March 31st, 2008, 12:11 PM

I don't want to add to your distress.

I DO want to make sure that you're aware that the drug Metacam is NOT licensed for oral prescription in Canada. It is authorized for a one-time use ONLY by injection (usually pre-surgery)

Metacam Oral Suspension Caution
Not approved for use in cats.
http://www.drugs.com/vet/metacam-ora...nsion-can.html

Here are some references.....
http://www.metacamkills.com/
http://www.persiancats.org/medicalalerts/ (1/2 way down)

"Unfortunately meloxicam (metacam) is nephrotoxic, i.e. toxic to the kidneys. In fact, it can cause permanent damage to the kidneys (papillary necrosis), with the result that a number of cats seem to have developed acute or chronic renal failure after taking meloxicam." http://www.felinecrf.org/causes_of_crf.htm#metacam
Old March 31st, 2008, 01:31 PM
Kitty pimp

wrap kitty in a towel so she cant move aroung and clean her foot once a day
Old March 31st, 2008, 06:06 PM
Ragdoll Mom

Thank you for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSTYcat View Post
I don't want to add to your distress.

I DO want to make sure that you're aware that the drug Metacam is NOT licensed for oral prescription in Canada. It is authorized for a one-time use ONLY by injection (usually pre-surgery)

Metacam Oral Suspension Caution
Not approved for use in cats.
http://www.drugs.com/vet/metacam-ora...nsion-can.html

Here are some references.....
http://www.metacamkills.com/
http://www.persiancats.org/medicalalerts/ (1/2 way down)

"Unfortunately meloxicam (metacam) is nephrotoxic, i.e. toxic to the kidneys. In fact, it can cause permanent damage to the kidneys (papillary necrosis), with the result that a number of cats seem to have developed acute or chronic renal failure after taking meloxicam." http://www.felinecrf.org/causes_of_crf.htm#metacam
Thanks soo much, I will be taking this up with my vet tomorrow, I just wish I would have read this an hour ago I wouldn't have given her a dose today. I even rejected the vet when she advised the metacam but she pushed until I finally agreed. Stupid me.