Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 18th, 2005, 10:09 AM
banned user

Anyone ever heard of neutering by laser?

I was told yesterday by my vet that neutering can be done by laser. The dog would still need to be put under general anesthesia, but with laser, the bleeding is kept to the minimum and that the recovery is much faster.

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever experienced this new technology? Is it really worth the extra dough?
Old April 18th, 2005, 11:04 AM

Thumbs up Laser

2 of my boys were done by laser, to me iff it is less painful and faster healing it is well worth it! Both healed very nicely neither required a cone. I will only do laser now!
Old April 18th, 2005, 11:58 AM
banned user

It's good to know that! Thanks aussiemedogs!
Old April 18th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Senior Contributor

wow sams vet never mentioned laser, hes booked for his neuter on my 31st, I shoudl call and ask if they have that option, im all for lessening the pain my baby has to go thru

Eleni
"I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.'" - Fred Jungclaus
Old April 18th, 2005, 12:18 PM
banned user

Laser is better for somethings ( like glands) but with a male the neuter really isn't that bad. Blaze was done at 6mths he was normal the next day. No problems and nothing to be removed after it was like nothing happen to him, he was not in alot of pain. I guess it is up to you if it's something you want to do, the difference in the cost is alot.
Old April 18th, 2005, 12:43 PM

Our vet just started offering laser surgery for spaying and neutering. They told me about it when I took Sophie for her first visit. It is more expensive but the recovery is supposed to be easier.
Old April 18th, 2005, 01:20 PM
banned user

goldenblaze: that's exactly my reason for posting this thread, just wanted to know if it's really worth it. What's the normal recovery time for neutering? My vet said that with laser, there is little to none bleeding, and therefore much less painful for the dog during recovery, swelling and potential infection are also kept to a minimum. Laser neuter costs $70 more than a normal scalpel neuter.
Old April 18th, 2005, 03:46 PM

If you have a really good vet, there should be no infection and the laser would not be worth it. Boo had his dew claws and testiklees removed at the same time and was out and about the next day. Not a lick out of him on any of the incisions.
Old April 18th, 2005, 04:18 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
If you have a really good vet, there should be no infection and the laser would not be worth it.
How would you be able to find that out PRIOR to the surgery?
Old April 18th, 2005, 04:25 PM

I would ask around to people in your area who have dogs. I would look for someone who treats dogs more than cats, too. Our vet treats probably 20 dogs for every cat. Usually in the suburbs where there are more dogs, the vets are more experienced with them.

For females it's easier because you can look at other dogs' scars and the smaller the scar, usually the better the vet.
Old April 18th, 2005, 05:08 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymph
How would you be able to find that out PRIOR to the surgery?
I don't know anyone who did the laser neuter, I've always did the normal neuter and not once a problem. Blaze went in the morning came home at 4pm like nothing was wrong at all. He was sleepy later that night some what but not like I though, the next day he was ready to run and play. I would not have laser but this is only my opinion. If you trust your vet you are ok...which one do you use in Ottawa? Kevin Bacon in North Gower is very good, well worth the drive.
Old April 18th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Talk to people

To find out public opinion on a vet, I would ask my neighbors who have pets who they take their pet to, and what they think of them. I would also ask anyone in the pet aisle at Walmart, or in Petsmart, or anywhere I found 'pet' people. We only have 2 vets in our town (15,000 population) and one of them is such a jerk that I wouldn't take a mouse to him for treatment. I have since found out that he was kicked in the head by a horse at one time and general consensus is that he lost some mental ability, not to mention any compassion he may have ever had for sick animals. He was so mean to one of my dogs that she bit him every time we went for shots. He never said anything about it, but since she never bit anyone else and I could see that he was overly rough with her I knew she didn't like him so I quit taking her to him and I've never taken any of my other animals to him.
Old April 18th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Owned by goldens

Neuter

Hunter had the laser surgery in September. Recovery time was minimal and after sleeping off the anaesthetic he was back to his old self the next day.