Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 11th, 2008, 10:15 AM

Lymphatic cancer in dog - anybody has experience with it?

Hi
One of my dogs - the Jack Russell Terrier has been diagnosed with Lymphatic cancer last month.

Anybody has any experience with it?

It's going so Fast, it's breaking my heart, - and she is even the youngest of my 3 dogs. Probably only around 8 1/2 yrs. (We don't know exactly since we adopted her from the local shelter in 2001 - she has been found in the park in February, nobody ever claimed her)

Thank you

Dagmar
Old August 11th, 2008, 04:26 PM
-

I'm so sorry for you and your dog :sad: one of my dog has fibrosarcoma cancer but I don't know nothing about Lymphatic cancer. All I can give as advice is feeding him a grain free kibble or a raw diet will slow down the cancer a bit.

Old August 12th, 2008, 11:23 AM

Food

Thank you, and all the best with your dog too. Hope s/he will live longer as mine who looks like won't see this weekend.
I have her on Prednisone and Leukeran, however seems it helped only for a couple of days

I am originally from Europe, so my dogs have never been fed with the 'grain'-based food. (=THAT we use for pigs, chicken, ducks etc)
Dogs are carnivores, so not only all the dog food in our household is 'meat-based' as minimum the first ingredient, but I also mix it with meat I buy at our local No-Frills food store.

Unfortunately I am unable to feed them with raw meat, since we adopted all of them and I found out that Canadian dogs don't eat raw meat. And I don't want to force them now so I cook it for them.

I wish you and your little angel the Longest time possible together!
Old August 12th, 2008, 11:35 AM

I am so sorry to hear about your little one. I have no advise (am dealing with my dogs breast cancer) but just best wishes for you and her.
Old August 14th, 2008, 02:14 PM

Thank you

Thank you very much for your sympathy .
OMG! I didn't know even dogs can have a breast cancer.
I wish you all the best to your darling as well!
Old August 17th, 2008, 08:44 AM

Smile Lymphoma in Dogs

Hello All,

I have just joined this site. I have a dog (7 years) who was diagnosed with lymphoma in May and has been on chemo since that time. I am not an expert in this type of cancer but would be more than glad to try and answer your question. I am so sorry about your dog and wish you the best.

Pauline
Old August 17th, 2008, 03:13 PM
-

I am very sorry to hear that your JRT has lymphomatic cancer. I have no experience with that but as already mentioned raw or home cooked or grain free kibble is the best way to feed dogs with any type of cancer so it is good that you are feeding that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admirable Dogs View Post

Unfortunately I am unable to feed them with raw meat, since we adopted all of them and I found out that Canadian dogs don't eat raw meat. And I don't want to force them now so I cook it for them.

I don't know where you heard that Canadian dogs don't eat raw meat. It is actually quite popular here.....check out our forum on raw feeding:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64
Old August 18th, 2008, 10:05 AM

End

I'd like to thank everybody, unfortunatelly my dog Jackie passed away last Thursday evening. She stopped breathing couple of mins before 10pm, gone peacefully at home. :sad:

I am still in shock how Fast it went!
The next day I was cleaning my voice mail and still even had there our vet's message about the results from biopsy which confirmed that darn lymphosarcoma.

Pauline I wish you all the Best with your doggie, and hope the chemo will help her keep alive longer than it did for my little terrier.

Dagmar
Miki - Jack Russell Terrier, ? yrs (estimated between 3-5)

IM: Jackie - Jack Russell Terrier, 8 yrs
IM: Lucy - Shi-tzu, 17 yrs
Old August 18th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Doggie Wench

I'm so very sorry for your loss.

RIP Jackie
Old August 18th, 2008, 10:20 AM

Correction

Rainbow

- sorry if my comment about Canadian dogs and raw meat offended you - I am just talking from my experience and that of my friends here.

I probably should correct that statement to something like:
If you adopt the Adult dogs they won't eat the raw meat if they haven't been exposed to it.

I just mentioned it because I never met a dog in Europe which would Not eat a raw meat - as it has been with all dogs "I" have ever known here in Canada.
I actually even had couple of arguments here with local vets who tried to persuade me about the 'advantages' of couple of some stupid grain-based 'science' diets and my 'incorrect' ways of feeding my dogs. (= a High Protein based)

But, as I see - there Are exemption here - Thank God!

Old August 18th, 2008, 08:27 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm so sorry about your JRT, Dagmar. We never have enough time with our furbabies, and 8 1/2 is way too young! :sad:

sweet Jackie

Oh, and I don't think rainbow was offended...just surprised. So no worries...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 18th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Slave to Tonks

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admirable Dogs View Post
I'd like to thank everybody, unfortunatelly my dog Jackie passed away last Thursday evening. She stopped breathing couple of mins before 10pm, gone peacefully at home. :sad:

I am still in shock how Fast it went!
The next day I was cleaning my voice mail and still even had there our vet's message about the results from biopsy which confirmed that darn lymphosarcoma.

Pauline I wish you all the Best with your doggie, and hope the chemo will help her keep alive longer than it did for my little terrier.

Dagmar
Damar, I'm so sorry for your loss. My cat Ares died of lymphoma as well. From diagnosis to death it was 4 days. It's an aggressive cancer, which if treated aggressively can have some positive results. I had read of a number of dogs/cats making it through with chemotherapy cocktails.
Old September 29th, 2008, 10:31 AM

Anybody needs pills for lymphosarcoma?

I am very sorry too to hear about your cat.
It's so sad when it happens so suddenly!
I guess I was scared and paralyzed - as my father died of liver cancer too. Didn't take long either.

On the other hand I still have some chemotherapy pills in my fridge I haven't used, if anybody needs them I am willing to give them for free if somebody lives in Peel or West Toronto area just contact me

Old May 6th, 2010, 09:36 AM

hi I am sorry to bother you and i am sorry for your loss, but i could do with some help, my 3 yr old dogue de bordeaux has just been diagnosed with lymphoma, with lumps under chin and in groin area, this has come as a bit of a shock as I only discovered them a couple of days ago...she will not be having chemotherapy however has today just started with steriods, as she is not eating anything but grass at the moment, how soon should I expect to see the result of the meds...thanks for any advice

Carmel
Old May 6th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphneanddenzel View Post
hi I am sorry to bother you and i am sorry for your loss, but i could do with some help, my 3 yr old dogue de bordeaux has just been diagnosed with lymphoma, with lumps under chin and in groin area, this has come as a bit of a shock as I only discovered them a couple of days ago...she will not be having chemotherapy however has today just started with steriods, as she is not eating anything but grass at the moment, how soon should I expect to see the result of the meds...thanks for any advice

Carmel
You really need to start a new thread of your own - this one is a couple of years old.
Old May 11th, 2010, 08:25 PM

results of meds?

Quote:
"...how soon should I expect to see the result of the meds."

Sorry to disappoint you, but I haven't seen too much of the results from the meds. Mind you my dog was only on chemo, no steroids (didn't know cancer can be treated by steroids (?) ). From the time we discovered the lumps to Jackie's death was around 6 weeks or so.

There was one more option my vet told me and this is to take our dog to USA - they have some specialized clinic there for dogs with cancer, or
at least take her to Guelp Veterinary University/Clinic for treatments, - which "could" keep your dog living longer,
however that would cost thousands of dollars and we just don't have that amount of money.

Nowadays I also personally happened to know that in Slovakia they started some kind of experimental treatment of cancer (something with genetics (?)) and they are doing it actually on dogs, and seems most of the dogs Are living longer or even cancer went into remission, but it is still in experimental stage although intended for people later on. Americans wanted to buy that patent, but I don't know if they got it, or not