Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 4th, 2004, 09:23 AM

Bloated Kitten

i rescued a 4 week old stray off the street, he has a severe bloated stomach and we thought worms, i took him to a vet and his exam was negative for worms. he acts normal and eats and 'goes' regularly with occasional diarrhea. he is fine except for the very large stomach, the vet gave meds for stomach gas, but even she said he would be showing some other distress if gas is the culpit. any ideas of what this could be? thanks
Old November 4th, 2004, 09:44 AM

When you say you rescued a 4 week old stray....were there other kittens around? Where is the momma cat? 4 weeks is way too young to be away from the mother.

Were x-rays taken at the Vet's office? If not, get them done if you're serious about saving this kitten. Just because worms aren't showing up, and the Vet's not convinced it's gas buildup, doesn't mean it can't be something else. X-rays will confirm everythings normal.
Old November 4th, 2004, 09:45 AM

Mods.....I think this should be moved to the Pet Health forum.
Old November 4th, 2004, 09:58 AM

i hope i am doing this correctly. this is my first time in this site. there were no other kittens/mom nearby. i checked several times and put an ad in the paper also. he eats canned food, and the vet said it is ok sincec he was most likely deserted. ive had him for a week, she estimates him to be 5-6 weeks as of today. i am actually waiting for a no kill shelter to take him. we have one here and they are having an adoption tonight so there will be room for him. therefore i did not take xrays. i would keep him myself, but i have 3 cats already and one is recovering from surgery, so its been hard to keep them separated. i just couldnt leave him on the street all alone. he is the most adorable little guy and i may have him adopted by a friend if hubby agrees.
Old November 4th, 2004, 10:00 AM

how can i move to health forum? thanks
Old November 4th, 2004, 10:27 AM

I'm glad you helped this little tyke out! For my own peace of mind, I had to know if there were other babies around, or the mother cat. I'm happy he's doing well. I hope he gets adopted by someone who'll love him as much as you.

As far as moving this thread, either the Moderators will do it, if they feel it's warranted, or they'll just let it run it's course, and let it fade naturally with time.