Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits > Breed bans - BSL - Pit Bull bans

Old October 21st, 2004, 12:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Here is what we can do:

Here is what we can do:
1. Sign the Humane Society Petition:http://www.torontohumanesociety.com/inthenews/ban.html

2. If you are a CKC member, sign the Dog Legislation Council of Canada petition:http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?DLCC

3. Email Michael Bryant saying that you vehemently oppose his proposed ban:michael.bryant@jus.gov.on.ca

4. If you are in Ontario, please phone/fax/email your local MPP to say you oppose proposed law and get your friends to do the same. You can look-up MPP contact details here:http://olaap.ontla.on.ca/laompp/daCurMbr.do?locale=en

5. Speak out in the Toronto Star forum:
http://www.thestar.com/cgi-bin/star_...tbull_ban.html

I, as a responsible dog owner, hope to get the information out to the public and simply ask that they seriously consider the impact of breed specific legislation. The irresponsible owners don't care what breed of dog they lose the right to own.... they'll find another breed to fit their needs, until the focus gets removed from Pitbulls and we start banning other breeds. I deeply care, because it threatens me with the loss of a family member, and it infringes on my right to choose. In Europe the breed ban started with Pitbulls and now covers over 25 breeds. It just doesn't work!Breed Specific legislation is not only unfair for responsible citizens, but it addresses the wrong problem. Voting for this proposal as it stands only harms the law biding responsible dog owner. I urge everyone to involved and contact your MPP and ask them to vote against this legislation.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old October 21st, 2004, 04:26 PM
banned user

Thumbs down I've finally decided my M.P.P. is a ________,

and a rude one too. I emailed him once. on PB ban, & got the same song & a dance about letters on favour being 15 to 1. I e-mailed him back, to say that I found this difficult to believe, considereing it's one of the 'Doggiest' areas in Ont. & has a lot of very knowlegable people, with a Lot of different breeds of dog.

My e-mail was blocked for the reply! (as will be my lawn, front porch, & mailbox etc next election!) He also has the snottiest, none-helpful staff ever!

At least Kelly Lamroth replied twice, & I don't even live in N.B.!!
Old October 22nd, 2004, 10:42 AM

Challenge the Rhetoric!

I would suggest that my reply to an MPPs response about this 14 to 1 ratio would be a formal application under the Freedom of Information Act. I'd like to see all these letters for one. Does anyone know if DLCC is doing this?

Mel and Max (who is cute and loveable even if he isn't a pit bull)
Old October 22nd, 2004, 11:03 AM

Proposed Legislation

Has anyone got their hands on a copy of this proposed legislation? I haven't been able to find it on the Ontario Government website. I couldn't even find any record of any debate about the issue in the last two weeks (although I did find the following perceptive quote about the current liberal government):

October 19 Debates (in criticism of liberal priorities and promise breaking) Mr Hudak: Sushi was the top priority, followed by the Minister of Education beating his chest, saying that he was going to hunt down every Gummy Bear stalking the hallways of Ontario's schools as a top priority, and the Attorney General, who thinks the top crime issue in the province of Ontario is banning certain breeds of dogs.

Mel and Max