Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 13th, 2009, 01:09 PM

Question Herbal remedies or meds to alleviate stress (dog does not board well)?

Hello!

I will have to put my Aussie in a kennel soon for a weekend, and a little bit later this winter, for one week. But here's the thing: She's an anxious/nervous/submissive dog (although a lot better than when I first got her last summer) and her last kennel-stay (her first since in my care) really stressed her out. She got major diarrhea the second night of her 3 days/2 nights stay at this one kennel. At first, I was wondering if she had caught a virus or something. Since her bowls functions were not getting back to normal after a few days (read: could not wait to go outside to do her business at times), I had my vet analyze a stool sample. Everything was fine. So she was put on a special diet and on some black paste thing and slowly, things got back to normal.

But I want to avoid this from happening again at all costs. Not fun!

The kennel she stayed at the first time is particular in a sense that dogs are loose all day - either inside or outside - separated in different groups when temperaments warrant it. What I thought was a wonderful concept initially - not in a cage/kennel for most of a given day - may not be ideal for MY dog. Since she's submissive, more outgoing and confident dogs are always on top of her, wanting to play and what not. Note that I had taken her there on 2 separate occasions (not overnight) in order for her to get accustomed to the place before I left her for the weekend.

I'll try another kennel I know in my area which keeps dogs in 3'x5' kennels, and gives them 4 outside play time of 1/2 hour each everyday. This may be better suited for my pup. I’ll also bring her there a couple of times just for daycare, in hopes she’ll feel more at ease when I’ll leave her for overnight stays later on.

I know there are herbal remedies or meds out there that could help ease her stress. I was wondering if any of you had used some and which ones you would recommend?

Sorry for the long post! Please feel free to give me any insight you might have on my situation!

Thanks in advance!

Lili

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

2005-... - Gorgeous blue merle Australian Shepherd (since June 2008)
R.I.P.
1980-1996 - My first dog - Welsh Terrier
1994-2006 - My beloved Chloe - Doberman