Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 8th, 2008, 11:52 PM

can i train my kitten to walk on a leash?

Hi I have a 4 month old kitten and I want to train him to walk on a leash...is it possible and how?
Old July 9th, 2008, 12:52 AM
Live well, laugh often

My old Siamese walked on a leash. You should be sure to use a harness instead of just a collar as it is easy for them to slip out of a collar. Bud was pretty easy to train as he always followed me anyway and had a very confident nature. A gentle tug was all that was needed to get him going.

If you cat is a nervous type it might be very difficult as he will want to hide. You could start in your yard (if one available) and just like a puppy follow around on the leash and eventually work that into the cat following you.

Perhaps others might have some better tips ??
Old July 9th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am able to train my cats on a leash and harness, one was trained like a dog.

I started training inside the house so the kitten can get used to the feeling of the harness and leash in a comfortable territory, then progressed to outside in the yard, then along the sidewalk.

Do not push your cat to walk too hard, it will make the experience unpleasant, they have to walk at their pace. Be prepared to carry your kitty home (leave the harness and leash attached just incase he jumps out of your hands) if he should get scared.

Baby steps and slowly expand the kitties walk distance as he gets comfortable. Always remember cats have territories and don't like going outside their territory so the walks may be short distances depending on your cat.

Good luck.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 9th, 2008, 03:40 PM

My cat used to come running when he saw the harness come out, but he wasn't very good at walking where I wanted him to LOL

Put the harness on repeatedly inddors for several hours for a few days in a row. At first, the kittne wil probably just lie down or slink around, but s/he will get used to it. Then, attach the leash (still indoors). Give treats and praise when kitten follows you on leash.
Old July 9th, 2008, 11:40 PM

Here are some great tips on how to walk your cat on a leash

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old July 10th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Agility Addict

Most definately.... Minnow learned to walk on a leash as a kitten too - its so much easier when they are young!

Rarely, if ever will a cat walk where you want - they love to do perimeters rather than be out in the open and I personally would only walk in quieter areas or at quieter times. I also never walk Minnow across roads or intersections - no matter how quiet/small.
I also walk with a dog backpack so I don't have to carry her and so she has a place to rest (in the summer, I keep an icepack wrapped in towel in there to keep her cool). I also never go anywhere without water, cats tend not to drink enough as it is so when they are walking they should have water closeby!

Minnow is the master of getting out of her harness, so she is always doubled up - either 2 harnesses or a harness and collar (I use a slip collar for toy dogs because she can slip anything)... While some cats are fine, it just makes me too nervous so all my future cats will be doubled up too!

She walked up this rather large hill and made it halfway down before choosing to ride in the pack:

Last edited by Lissa; July 10th, 2008 at 07:56 AM.
Old July 10th, 2008, 01:20 PM
We're a dog's best friend

Red face souds cool

i heard of someone walking their cat for exercize (it was too fat) and they said to leave a harness on it all day, and take it off at night n' do that for about a week, and then leave a lead on it all day for one day (but watch it constantly for that day, in case it gets stuck or something) and then just hold the lead as you walk about the house doing daily things, letting it off the lead every now and then. soon the cat will get used to it and you can try the same thing outside. Simple enough
Old July 10th, 2008, 01:22 PM
We're a dog's best friend

Red face love pic

by the way lissa, i love the pic of your dog and the cat on the lead. SO SO ADORABLE