Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old March 14th, 2007, 04:14 PM

hello

good afternoon! my name is heather and i was referred to this forum by technodoll, i've recently begun feeding my 1 1/2 female akita raw. she loves it!! we've just done chicken & pork over the past two months without any problems whatsoever. actually about 2 weeks into the raw i made the mistake of not defrosting the chicken in time and had to put some leftover kibble in her bowl for breakfast. when i arrived home from work, all the kibble was still there! she was whining next to her food dish like aren't you going to feed me

anyway- i've been lurking for some time and just wanted to say thanks for all the great topics. i've learned quite a bit from all your post and links to websites.

thanks heather
Old March 14th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Welcome! Always great having new raw feeders here.

Just a FYI, no issues with feeding frozen foods to your pup. Some may not prefer it, mine however doesnt care on bit. So don't fret over frozen meats. It also can help slow down some pups.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old March 14th, 2007, 05:43 PM

i did think it would be ok to give the chicken to her frozen, but it was almost an entire gallon size freezer bag! plus at that time i was still cutting the chucks of chicken into more-or-less bite size pieces for her (i'm quite the expert with the meat cleaver!! )
Old March 14th, 2007, 06:04 PM

Have you tried feeding large pieces and letter her do the "clevering?"

For example I'll cut a turkey into 2lb chunks, and give him that chunk to eat. He does the rest. They get all the great dental benifits this way.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

Old March 15th, 2007, 01:30 AM
Live well, laugh often

Welcome to the forum. Would love to see some pics of your girl .
Old March 15th, 2007, 03:58 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

Welcome.and would lso like to see some pics of your girl
Old March 16th, 2007, 11:42 PM

did you say pics?????

btw scott, we are giving her larger cuts of the chicken now now, surprisingly, for such a large dog she is quite a dainty eater! she just isn't sure what do do with a large slab of meat yet!
Old March 17th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

Awww beautiful just beautiful.
more pics please
Old March 17th, 2007, 12:36 AM
-

Welcome to the forum. Your girl is gorgeous but has much longer fur than I've seen on an Akita.
Old March 17th, 2007, 11:27 AM

Diddo, she's absolutely gorgeous!
Old March 17th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

She is beautiful
What is she mixed with?
Absolutely gorgeous gurl!
Old March 17th, 2007, 01:53 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by erykah1310
What is she mixed with?
I was thinking Chow.
Old March 17th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
I was thinking Chow.
I see Chow in the first pic.
Old March 17th, 2007, 10:26 PM

she doesn't have any mix in her, she is a longcoated or woolie akita. both her her parents are show dog champions. we get alot of questions about her lineage because of the long coat. when she was a small puppy, many people thought she was a st. bernard because of her coloring. longcoats are quite peculiar looking sometimes because the length and type of fur vary with each dog. kiyoshi actually has two different lengths of fur. she has excessively hairy ears, elbows and hindquarters. we like to call her grande pantalones! the fur on her back and sides are more like a standard akita.

she sure is loving her raw diet! it really makes her coat so beautiful!
Old March 17th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Got to love the raw.we do.
she is just so beautiful.
Old March 17th, 2007, 10:46 PM
-

Is she the Harige fur type Akita?
Old March 17th, 2007, 10:53 PM

i'm not sure what that is, i'll google it and let you know if she's in that category!
Old March 17th, 2007, 10:56 PM

well, i'm more confused now than ever! i just googled Harige fur type Akita and all the websites were in some consonant heavy european language!
Old March 17th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Honest Contributor

heather! how could i have missed your post, LOL! the beanies wave hellloooo fellow keeter lover!

i'm so glad your girl is enjoying the raw diet and that you are too, indeed the longer she is on it, the more you will see the outstanding benefits: specially into old age. she is truly a gorgeous woolie (yes folks, long-coated akitas are due to a recessive gene, it's a DQ for the show ring but under all that coat they are pure akita!)

here are a few long-coats, ie woolies (all pure akitas): http://www.doubletake-ranch.com/Longcoat/longcoats.html

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old March 18th, 2007, 12:41 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassycyclist View Post
well, i'm more confused now than ever! i just googled Harige fur type Akita and all the websites were in some consonant heavy european language!
http://www.northlandakitas.com/akcstandard.htm

Quote:
COAT

"Double-coated, undercoat thick, soft, dense and shorter than outer coat. Outer coat straight, harsh and standing somewhat off body. Hair on head, legs and ears short. Length of hair at wither and rump approximately two inches, which is slightly longer than on rest of body, except tail, where coat is longest and most profuse." "Fault--Any indication of ruff or feathering."

A coat can only be considered outstanding if the entire body is covered with numerous stiff guard hairs. A coat that will even stand up off the back and withers is a rare and magnificent sight in the United States. Many coats may have an adequate amount of coarse hairs over the topline, but fail to have enough guard hairs down the sides and on the rest of the body. A thick leg coat will give the appearance of a heavier boned dog. Other problem coats include flat, soft, wavy, too short or too long of coat.

In the past, Akitas with an expressed long coat gene have been routinely sold as pet, neither bred nor shown. Since this is not a disqualification, some have sunk to showing such animals.

The coat covers the entire dog, serving as protection and as an aesthetically exquisite finish. AKIHO judging will no longer award the top prize to an Akita that does not possess a proper coat. Perhaps their example would be wise to follow.

The Japanese standards have never put an exact limit on coat length, though some have disqualifications for overly short or overly long coats. The coat quality is the most important. The ACA standard says "approximately two inches" at the withers and the rump, but shorter elsewhere, except tail. It is a good thing the standard uses the word "approximately", since it is very difficult to breed a proper coat with hair 2 inches long at these locations.

Quoting from the 1990 published book "The Basics Of The AKITAINU" by Los Angeles AKIHO member Hiroshi Kuwabara, is the following passage: "Scientifically, there are probably many types of fur that make up the coat, but according to Mr. Kiyoshi Komatsu of Akita, Japan, there are three main ones. They are:

1) menmoh - This is the shortest and finest of the three furs. This fur is curly from top to bottom.

2) sohmoh - Medium length. This type of fur is curly on the bottom, but straight on the tips.

3) Harige - This is the longest (six inches or more), and the thickest. The long harige is located at the withers (kamige), the rump area and the tail."
Old March 18th, 2007, 12:45 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll
here are a few long-coats, ie woolies (all pure akitas): http://www.doubletake-ranch.com/Longcoat/longcoats.html
TD, I've clicked on the site several times and it keeps saying "page cannot be displayed." I'll try again later or tomorrow.
Old March 18th, 2007, 12:49 AM
Live well, laugh often

She is so beautiful .
Old March 18th, 2007, 06:33 AM

agreed, very nice looking pooch!

Old March 18th, 2007, 03:24 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
TD, I've clicked on the site several times and it keeps saying "page cannot be displayed." I'll try again later or tomorrow.
The link works now. They are very beautiful dogs.
Old March 18th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Senior Contributor

WOW,beautiful dogs,the pups look like little bearcubs
Sassycyclist,your pup is absolutely beautiful and Welcome to the Forum
Old March 20th, 2007, 12:30 AM

after reading the descriptions of different fur types i believe she actually has all three of these types of fur! she has quite a mane (sp?) of fur around her neck and the hairiest arms & legs i've ever seen on a dog. some woolies coats are even and well distributed, kiyoshi's coat is don king out of control! her goofy hair is a perfect match for her goofy personality!

btw- i'm a little confused about some bones to give her? are all bones ok? even the harder bones which she cannot actually chew through, because they are good for what's referred to as recreational chewing? is there a danger of her choking on these bones? are there any bones which should never be given? thanks
Old March 20th, 2007, 05:16 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

As i was told rec bones (wreck bones).I don't give them to Jag anymore.He broke a tooth on one.the only bones i've been giving are the meaty bones he has for breakfast.
Old March 20th, 2007, 07:32 AM

Well, I personally avoid all weight bearing bones, also known as rec (wreak) bones. But my guy is a power chewer and these kinds of bones can break teeth. What I do use are Beef neck bones. They're softer and he grinds away at them.

But this comes down to knowing your dog. Some dogs arent big chewers and you could get away with a rec (marrow) bone. But I personally wouldnt chance it.

Old March 20th, 2007, 09:41 AM

thanks for the info, i searches old threads but was still just a little confused! i'll just need to keep my eye on her and see how it goes!
Old March 20th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Good luck