Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old September 11th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Papa D

A great idea

i dont think any media outlet will even think about this,giving the public both sides of a story wont sell papers or advertising,they are like the government....tell you what they want you to know , and not the real truth.
http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/NAS...=1112876262536
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old September 14th, 2006, 06:13 PM
banned user

Well, of course, what people think the "real truth" is depends on who is doing the telling.

What I do think is a very good idea is for news outlets to ALWAYS try to publish the picture of any dog involved in a serious or fatal attack as soon as possible. These dogs don't live long after the incident, but if the media can get out to the shelter quickly (before the dog is put down) and take a bunch of good pictures, having that information available will make a lot of discussion a whole lot more meaningful.
Old September 14th, 2006, 09:57 PM

Yeah like with that ugly guy. At least even if the media is wrong, we can see for ourselves (for the most part... ).
Old September 14th, 2006, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnet
Well, of course, what people think the "real truth" is depends on who is doing the telling.

What I do think is a very good idea is for news outlets to ALWAYS try to publish the picture of any dog involved in a serious or fatal attack as soon as possible. These dogs don't live long after the incident, but if the media can get out to the shelter quickly (before the dog is put down) and take a bunch of good pictures, having that information available will make a lot of discussion a whole lot more meaningful.
I have to disagree on this one.

The only thing worse for a responsible pit bull owner to be living in the same neighborhood as a recent pit bull attack would be if the recent pit bull attack was perpetrated by a similar looking pit bull with its picture splashed all over the news...

I do not even want to think of what could happen to the similar looking innocent pit bull and owners. It could lead to very serious consequences from "well meaning" individuals trying to keep their neighborhood safe.

Take care.
Old September 15th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Papa D

chancesmom

i see your point , but , those same people have a vison of what a pit looks like from what they read or hear,most will guess wrong at identifing a pit.
i would like to see this for all attacks not just anything that involves a pit.
chancesmom.......i dont know where you live but here in ontario , with a total ban , people can see i am a responsible owner , i see all the same people day in and day out , we walk at the same times everyday , anyone who likes dog around my house loves beathoven and see him muzzled daily.i think its the irresponsible ones that are causing us responsible owners problems.
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old September 16th, 2006, 06:16 AM

Maybe they could use file photo's...

This is a picture of a pit bull of a similar size as in the article?

I live in New England.
Old September 17th, 2006, 06:29 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChancesMom
I have to disagree on this one.

The only thing worse for a responsible pit bull owner to be living in the same neighborhood as a recent pit bull attack would be if the recent pit bull attack was perpetrated by a similar looking pit bull with its picture splashed all over the news...

I do not even want to think of what could happen to the similar looking innocent pit bull and owners. It could lead to very serious consequences from "well meaning" individuals trying to keep their neighborhood safe.

Take care.
It seems to me that the proper role of the media is to report the news as accurately as possible and let the chips fall where they may. Since one of the common, in fact almost universal, reactions of the pit bull community whenever there is a serious attack that is attributed to a pit bull is to immediately claim that pit bulls are frequently blamed wrongly and to question the breed identification, it seems to me that it would be helpful to have actual evidence of how often this happens. Maybe it happens a lot. Maybe it happens rarely. Let's get the pictures and figure it out.

I think it happens that the media sometimes gets the breed of dog involved wrong (I have seen the media get the name, age and even gender of a dog attack victim wrong, so I doubt that they never make a mistake about the breed involved), but I have very strong doubts that it happens with anything like the frequency that a lot of pit bull people would like to believe. At least, I doubt it happens frequently in cases of serious mauling or death of the victim. For one thing, the breeds of dogs who seriously bite or kill people aren't typically identified by non-experts, looking at tiny, poor quality pictures on a "guess the breed" website. The vast majority of them are owned by people who know what breed they have and (in the wake of a serious attack or killing) generally aren't going to be lying about that to authorities. Plus there are authorities involved, and (like it or not) a lot of people are capable of identifying a pit bull. Sometimes the breed is initially reported wrong (the recent presa canario killing in Florida first was reported as a pit bull killing, I believe) but very quickly corrected.

But, as I say, publish the pictures and let people have their own opinions. If the dogs killing people truly are mostly labrador retrievers, then I guess that will be pretty evident.

By the way, if you posted a bunch of poor quality pictures of black dogs of all kinds of descriptions, a huge number of people would identify virtually all of them as "labs." But that doesn't, somehow, translate to labradors leading the fatal dog attack statistics.