Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old August 17th, 2008, 11:14 AM

Old Dog Peeing

I rescued a little yorkie, about a year and a half ago, off the street. He was a mess. I tried desperately to find him a good home, but no one wanted him due to his age and problems. So I decided to keep him and give him a good home. He's between 11 - 13, deaf, has cataracts, and is constantly peeing in the house. We have a doggie door which he uses when he feels like it, which is getting to be less and less. I'm so frusterated with the constant messes, not to mention the smell. He's a sweet old guy, but I'm at my wits end. I've tried putting him in the bathroom with a gate at the door, but come home to even a bigger mess. We live in an area that gets cold at night and in the winter; so the option of leaving him outside is NOT.

If anyone can give me any suggestions on what to do, I'd greatly appreciate it. He's still got a lot of life in him and is very happy and content here. I just can't deal with his peeing in the house anymore.

Thank you.
Old August 17th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Has he always done this or is this recent behaviour? If the latter, a urinary infection or some other problem is the likely cause. Either way, I'd have him checked out by the vet.
If it isn't a urinary problem - which only the vet can rule out - then maybe he was never properly trained. Have you tried putting down pee pads? Some people never take their little dogs outside but train them to go inside pretty much exclusively.
I would take him out yourself as often as possible, rather than waiting for him to make a mistake. When you are in the house, the best thing to do is tie him to you, so you can catch him before he pees. It sounds like work - and is - but I wouldn't assume that just because he is a senior he isn't capable of learning that going outside gets him special treats and loads of praise.
You are an for sticking with this old boy, many others would have rushed him into the death chamber.
Old August 17th, 2008, 04:00 PM

Have you tried doggie diapers? I had a client once who had an elderly Vizsla who used to "leak", and they had her in diapers eventually. It's a little upsetting at first and you feel a little pity for them, but they soon get used to it. Take it off before you go outside. This Vizsla would, after a while, even ask for her diaper to be put back on when she got inside, if you forgot.
Old August 18th, 2008, 05:09 PM

"You can't teach an old dog new tricks" is fallacy.

When you took this dog in, you probably felt sorry for it. You've probably not given it any boundaries nor limitations because you didn't want to hurt its feelings. The result is that the dog has assumed the leader position and as such, goes pee/poo whenever and wherever it wants. It may have physical problems, but the cheap and most likely problem is that you haven't asserted yourself as pack leader.

Your frustration is understandable, but dogs view emotions like anger and frustration as weakness. You have to be calm and dominant. You have to reclaim your house.

Never let a dog precede you through any doorway, gate or other entrance way. Never continue until the dog is calm and submissive. Do not talk to it nor call it by name when you are setting limitations. This only makes the dog think you are weak and it won't respect you. Don't proceed to step 2, 3, 4 etc. until you are satisfied with its behaviour in step 1. You'd stop your child from peeing on the floor, you have to do the same for your dog.
Old August 18th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Molly's mama

bless you for taking in this old guy.
My parents Malamute x is 13 years old and in the past year or so he has been making the effort to go down into the basement, and pee on the concrete floor down there. It really is puzzling why he is choosing this instead of just going out the back door! They have had him checked at the vet, and physically everything is ok, but the vet said it might just be related to him being elderly and somewhat "senile". Does your dog ever appear confused?
just an idea...
Old August 19th, 2008, 07:34 AM

i think that the dominant theory in this case is not true at all.

probly just having some medical problems.

leading them through a doorway wont house train them.

search this forum for threads about crate-training and housebreaking AFTER medical issues are ruled out.