Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 13th, 2004, 10:53 PM

Unhappy death of a dog

Hello, My dog rocky who was a shepard husky cross had to be put down a week ago, he was starting to bite people, which was a shame cause he was the best dog i ever had. I can't seem to stop crying over it. I just can't beleive he is gone. We got a new dog whom we rescued for my kids.
But how does a person get ovver it, I mean we had him for 5 years. He was a great dog, the kids could do anything to him and he would never growl or bark nothing and then he goes and starts biting other people, he nipped at a few kids as well as biting 2 adults. He was not sick he was very healthy and his temperment was mellow.
I'm jsut sooo sad over the whole thing, It was like losing one of my children almost.
My kids think he went to a farm that had other dogs like him so they are ok with as long as they had another dog to love which they got. She is a great dog and it makes me feel better to know we saved her but I miss my Rocky soo Bad.
Anyways was feeling blue and had to do something so this is what I did I posted to other animal people who might know what I am going thru
Thanks for this forum
Old April 13th, 2004, 11:05 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

That is very very sad.

What started all of this biting behaviour?

Post him in the virtual pet cemetery you can find on the home page.
Old April 14th, 2004, 01:42 AM

death of a dog

we are not sure, he was extremely over protective of us especially myself and my 2 daughters.
The person he bit had opened my back door and the dog came around the corner outside where he was tied up and bit him in the leg then went and laid down. A few days later he tried to nip one of my daughters friends. Which was strange because this was a girl who came over all the time and never had a problem with our dog before.

So I am not to sure why this starting happening, he was never abused that I know we always left him in the house if went out.
So I am totally baffled about his behavior.
Old April 14th, 2004, 08:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Very sorry to hear about your dog,being tied up might have been part of the cause,but it's water under the bridge now,isn't it
Yes,everyone here has gone through the same heart-break,but having to put down a healthy dog would make it so much harder.
I am sorry you could find no other solution.
It will get better with time,although it might not seem like it now.
I suspect you also have feelings of guilt,try to remember the good times and shower the new rescue with love,but please do not tie him/her up in the backyard.
Old April 14th, 2004, 04:20 PM

hello again, My dog was only tied up when some one was coming over, other than that he had free rein over the yard. Our new dog will not be tied up as she has a very friendly nature and she doesn't seem to want to jump the fence or anything like that.
Thanks for the words though.
Old April 14th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Senior Contributor

I am sorry,did not mean to hurt your feelings,I am sure you have enough grief right now
My son when he was little got bitten across the face from an otherwise very friendly dog,becase the dog was chained..
Not a serious bite,did not break the skin,but scary enough.
I am very sorry you had to have him put down,it is like losing a family member:-(
Old April 14th, 2004, 04:45 PM

Only one week after I got my dog, I was chatting with someone about their dogs. They were telling me that someday I would have to deal with the loss of Bob. I couldn't believe the strength of the emotions that were coming over me immediately. Not that I'm some rough tough guy, but I can usually keep my composure intact in bad situations. I was struggling that day though. Told the person not to talk about that anymore, afterall I'd only had him a week.
I am very sorry to hear about your poochie. I hope and am sure you will find the same love for your new dog that you had for Rocky. Keep something of Rocky's that was personal to him to remember him.
Old April 16th, 2004, 08:39 AM
owned by Tucker

sorry to here about your dog. I had my dog put to sleep in January and the pain is still strong. When ever I go up north to our cottage where he is burried I go over and talk to him. Yesterday I was thinking about him while waiting for a bus, just wanting to hug him one more time, to smell that doggy smell, of course the tears started flowing again. My kids were told that he had to be put to sleep, but they are 16 and 14. We had a week to spend with him before it was done, so we all said goodbye, I don't know if this was easier or harder, because you were forever counting down the days. One day we will get another dog but not right now. It just takes time and the pain gets a little easier each passing week but on others days it all comes flooding back. I made a photo album of pictures of Travis, so that whenever we get lonesome for him we can look at him from puppy to just before he died, I took pictures of him with the kids a few days before so they could keep his memory near.So if you need a good cry go ahead everyone here will understand, I'm sure.
Old April 16th, 2004, 01:22 PM

I am so sorry you had to put down Rocky. That is one of the hardest things for us animal lovers to do.

My best friend has a dog who has lost his sight. He has become very aggressive and sometimes bites. Even though he has known me for years I have to call to him before I get near so that he knows if I'm friend or foe. He also is in alot of pain whenever he moves. He might be better off if he was put down, but my friend just can't consider it right now. It is a very difficult decision.

Get up close to your computer screen and feel my virtual hug. We are all sending you our strength to carry on.
Old April 16th, 2004, 02:37 PM

Dog that bites

It is a difficult situation and sometimes we have to put a friend down simply because we can't figure out what is going on in their mind. I had a dog that was loving and kind as you could want with me and as she got older she would literally try to kill anything or anybody else. It was hard to fathom what her eyes saw and her mind translated it into.
I am a firm believer your dog had a problem and it may not have been anything you did or could prevent. Dogs like people change over time. My father was not the same person he had been mentally when he was younger as he neared death. Of course we did not put him down but the same things can happen to the mind of dogs and men. What we see and how our minds perceive it can be altered by disease, drugs any combination of things.
I would not blame the dog and do not blame you. Keep in mind as humans we take on responsibility for the children we have and the animals we adopt and we have to protect them in that order. If the dog exhibits dangerous behaviour, you have two options. Find out why and correct it or remove the dog. The problem most of us have is that we cannot communicate with the dog. We can't ask them what they see or feel.
We can only see how they react- run tests and hope to hit on what is wrong and fix it.
A very inexact science.
I still grieve for friends I have lost and had to put down. If you knew what your dog was going through maybe it would be easier for you to accept what you had to do. Since you don't know - all you can do is have faith you did the best you could and your dog is released from what was troubling him.
Old April 16th, 2004, 03:16 PM

HELLO EVERYONE , JUST WANTED TO SAY THANK YOU ALL SOO MUCH FOR YOUR SUPPORT IT HAS HELPED ME A GREAT DEAL.

OUR NEW DOG HAS ALREADY CARVED A PLAE IN OUR HEARTS AND I AM THANKFULL THAT WE FOUND HER AND SHE FOUND US.
SHE CAN'T REPLACE ROCKY BUT SHE HAS HELPED TO MAKE US FEEL BETTER, AND WE HAVE MADE HER FEEL BETTER TOO.

I AM VERY GLAD I FOUND THIS FORUM, AND THE PEOPLE IN IT
Old April 16th, 2004, 03:59 PM
Senior Contributor

You're welcome,I am sure
My Tabby-cats name is Rocky,a very fitting name for him
I am really happy you made a good life for another rescue-dog,Rocky will always be in your heart,you just have to get used to living without him and with time it'll get easier...
What's the new doggies name and what kind is she?
Any pictures?