Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old June 8th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Baby Crow

Sunday a baby crow fell out of his nest and landed in my flower box. The bird is unable to fly, it hopped out and started walking across my lawn. I ran to put my dog back in the house, for the split second my back was turned I couldn't find the bird. The mother crow is squaking and swooping down on the cats in the neighbour hood morning, noon and night.It's 8:30 PM and she's still squaking.Tonight, a girl came to me and asked to me watch a bird which was in our community backyard. It turned out to be the baby crow, she found it near her house a block away. She brings it into her house at night time and it sleeps in her room and she lets it out durning the day when she's at school. She doesn't want to let it out at night because the neighbours let their cats out. Her father is returning from a trip tomorrow night and her mother told her she wouldn't be able to bring it inside the house when he returns. Is there any place in Mtl where she can bring this bird? The bird sits on her finger! and it doesn't venture far from her house, but it still cannot fly.
Old June 8th, 2005, 08:26 PM

Can't you put the baby bird back into the nest or make a "fake" nest and put it near the tree where the mother crow could find it?
Old June 8th, 2005, 08:53 PM
banned user

I was really confused cuz I thought this said baby COW.

I agree with Levimh - try to get it back tothe mothers nest, or create a new nest where momma can find it
Old June 8th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

LMFHO @ U Saf LOL @ baby cow HAHAHHA!

Call an animal/wildlife sanctuary near you.
Old June 9th, 2005, 06:16 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Le Nichoire picks up daily from SPCA Jean Talon. When I was there yesterday, there were several little one's waiting for pick up. Le Nichoire is located in St. Lazare area I believe but SPCA will help the bird get there.
Old June 9th, 2005, 07:19 AM
Senior Contributor

I took care of a baby (maybe a teenage) pigeon briefly last year, found him strolling along the alley. The folks at le Nichoir were amazing, I took him to the SPCA and someone picked him up from there. He ended up in an aviary in the Eastern Townships with another orphaned pigeon; when he could fly, they released him.

This bird must be with other birds so he can learn to fly. I hope she's feeding him; if he fell out of the nest he's likely not self-feeding yet. There's a wild bird mix you can get at the pet store; crumbled up hard-boiled egg is also a hit. They also need grit and water. I had to forcefeed my visitor until he got the hang of it.

Have PM'd you the number for Le Nichoir. She should call today if possible because I'm not sure if they are around at the weekend. Until then, she should definitely keep him inside or in a garage, he's extremely vulnerable, no fear reflex and no flying skills spells death.

I am editing this because I just realized it's a crow, not a pigeon. Not sure if there's a great deal of difference. Some shelters feed small amounts of canned dog or cat food. Make sure it doesn't choke (my worst nightmare).

Last edited by badger; June 9th, 2005 at 07:25 AM.
Old June 9th, 2005, 09:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Baby crow

Thanks! The SPCA Jean-Talon will be picking up the baby crow today and the Le Nichor will be picking it up from there. He can't fly yet, and he can't eat on his own either. The girl who's 13 years old and her mother did some research on the crows and bought some food for it. They have it in a large cat crate outside and at night she brings it into her room.
Old July 12th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Senior Contributor

I know I come on a bit after the fact,but I am glad the baby-crow will be ok,but sad for the parents.The crows are very protective of their babies.
I had a lone survivor of West Nile,the only one of 7 crows.He was alone all winter and I fed him leftovers,in the spring he found a mate,he's lame in one leg,but hops around with no problem.
They introduced me to their 3 babies,all healthy and big and I was exstatic..now I have 5 to feed,but I love watching them and I hope they'll survive this years West Nile virus.
They are extreemly smart and I LOVE them,unlike most people
But then again I love all birds and everything else not human
Old July 12th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

My mother raised an abandoned baby crow, when she was a teenager.

She loved him,and he was very smart!! When he was finally old enough to fend for himself she set him free, and every day he returned for an hour or so to visit her! :love:

My aunt is in rescue (domestic and wild) last time I visited her, there was a baby duck in the kitchen, 2 litters of dumped kittens in the spare bedroom, and a nest of pidgeons in the other spare bedroom, and an injured crow in the attick!! I loved the crow best, he was amazing and very affectionate, And I loved feeding him, he made the funniest sounds while eating!

I'm like you Chico I Love them :love: ( I love all non-humans too...... and okay and maybe just a few humans )

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old July 12th, 2005, 09:04 PM

Did anybody mention that if you put it back in the nest, the mother will kill it? You can't touch a baby bird, or it'll be rejected or killed. I found that out the hard way when I was young... :sad:
Old July 12th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Prin, I do believe that's a myth. When I found a baby bird a couple of weeks ago (RIP), all the bird rescue websites I looked at said it wasn't true, that if the nest could be identified, the parent would accept it back. Wish I could have found that baby's nest, he was so small. Not sure what happened in your case - maybe it was the wrong nest? Here's one of the sites I looked at:

http://www.rivernet.net/~nbiggs/#pinch
Old July 12th, 2005, 11:08 PM

Quote:
You can't touch a baby bird, or it'll be rejected or killed.
This is indeed a myth. I once found a baby bird and we called my mother's cousin who is an aviary expert and he told us to put it back into the nest. The mother took it back just fine. Though is you do bother a nest too much and the mother sees you she may be too frightened to come back and care for the babies.

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat
Old July 13th, 2005, 02:26 PM

I don't know about that-- when I was about 15, we had birds in our barbeque. The mother hadn't come back for over a week, so I fed one of the birds and the mother came back and killed it, threw it out of the nest.

Myth or not, I'm not going to risk baby birdies again.
Old July 13th, 2005, 06:36 PM

Quote:
the mother came back and killed it, threw it out of the nest.
Often times a mother bird can sense when one of it's babies is sick and we can't tell. The mother will kill and toss a sick baby out of the nest, just as they will push bad eggs out of the nest. Some how they can tell. And if the mother hadn't been there in a whole week chances are that wasn't the mother but another bird. Sometimes certain species of birds will kill other babies who are unatended to increase the chances of their own babies survival. less birds to compete for food more food for them and their babies.

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat

Last edited by Jackie467; July 13th, 2005 at 06:39 PM.
Old July 13th, 2005, 07:17 PM

I just find it weird that it was the exact bird I fed... And he had peck marks all over... :sad:
Old July 14th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Senior Contributor

i hand raised a crow when I was a kid. Smartest birds alive. Used to fly around the house and steal shiney stuff all the time. He used to ride on my shoulder like a big black parrot. We let him go when we knew the time was right but he always showed up for a free lunch. We also healed a shot canada goose in our basement one winter and took care of many injured ducks. The goose was funny though we used to take it for a walk with a leash around it's leg. After it got used to us it was fine, but holy hell can they ever knock you around with their wings. A not the mention the machine gun pecker attached to their faces. LOL My mother wounldn't go in the basement for the whole winter that year. Everytime Harry the goose saw her, he would hiss and beat his wings. Which was good thing because when she was mad at us we would beat it to the basement...Goose Proctection Services. I was sad to see him go in the spring.
Old July 15th, 2005, 07:13 AM
Senior Contributor

We are having a lot of fun watching"my"mama,papa Crow and 3 young ones..the young ones are just starting to eat on their own.
They,just like cats,are very cautious closing in on food,hopping back and forth checking if the food is alive Mom and Dad always keep a watchful eye.
Yesterday I changed where I put the food(usually leftovers),so they would be closer to the birdbaths and sprinkler and funny enough they followed me to the backyard,no problem finding where I put the food.
There is no danger to get pests,the crows eat the food in 2 seconds,loved my leftover meat loaf
Later I watched most of the birds enjoying the sprinkler and later we even had a bit of rain,WOW!!
The Crows get a bad rap because they are big,black and noisy...and yes,they rob birdsnests and dead squirrels,but so do many other much smaller birds,Blue Jays for one and are they ever noisy,but loved because they are Blue.
Old July 16th, 2005, 08:13 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2
The Crows get a bad rap because they are big,black and noisy...and yes,they rob birdsnests and dead squirrels,but so do many other much smaller birds,Blue Jays for one and are they ever noisy,but loved because they are Blue.
my city was taken over by crows for about 5 years, by the river at night, all you could see was black. They were a menance. I believe we ended up doing a 'crow cull' where a lot of birds got killed.
It did work, we have noth ad crow problems in a year or no.
The do get a bad rap, the Blue Jays in my yard tend to make more noise than the crows did. however, the crows were worse on the gardbage
Old July 17th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Safyre,I saw a program about a small town(in the US) taken over by hundreds maybe even thousands of crows and I can understand the problem.
Here in Oakville we have for the past few years had a bad case of the West Nile virus,killing off most crows and many other birds.
Last year,I only saw one crow,a lame male(bad leg)I fed him all winter and when he somehow found a mate and now has 3 offsprings,I am elated.
Hopefully they'll all survive this years mosquito season.
Old July 19th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Years ago I raised 3 crows that the parents abandoned, all three had slightly deformed legs, the vet said it was caused by rickets.

Edgar, Allen & Poe did very well for quite a long time. Edgar was able to be released. Allen went to a home in Ohio and sadly Poe died at young age due to other health problems.
Old July 19th, 2005, 12:21 PM

I had a crow named Joe

Two years ago I looked after an abandoned baby crow - he was left in a box at the shelter where I work so we had no idea where he came from to reunite him with his family. I called him Joe Crow and cared for him for the next three weeks. When he started to fly around the house we decided that the best place for him was Aspen Valley Wildlife Sanctuary (near Huntsville, ON). The night before we were to leave, Joe flew away. I got up several times in the night calling for him. At about 7am I thought I heard him calling. I went out to the deck and there he was sitting in the tree in front of the house. I put my arm up and called him. Like a scene straight out of a movie he flew to me and tried landing on my arm. He missed, hit me in the face, and gave me some pretty good scratches At least we didn't have to cancel the trip

Jenny
Old July 19th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Awww,it's nice to hear I am not the only one who think they are amazing birds,I love all birds but have a definet soft-spot for"my crows" :love: