Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 19th, 2005, 09:54 AM

Unhappy A vomiting problem w/ St. Bernard

I just got my St. Bernard, Bailey, about 1 1/2 months ago, he's very active & good health. Except, yesterday afternoon & this morning he vomited a foam looking white liquid up... What is this? He doesn't act like he feels bad at all. Could he just be getting too excited? Is it something he's eating? I did just start giving him yogurt, eggs, rice, etc... mixed in w/ his food (not all at once). Could this be upsetting his stomach? I have given it in small increments, but maybe they're not small enough? Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
Old January 19th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Senior Contributor

How old his he and what is the regular food you feed him? He might have eaten something that did not agree with him or he might have had a bit of a stomach ache. Has he thrown up more than once? Hey where are pictures of this cutie
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old January 19th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Senior member - formerly Lezzerpezzer

St. Bernard vomiting

Hi there. I have a Pyrenees that is 5 yrs old and after exercise, she drinks water and sometimes regurgitates some clear slimy foamy bile. On occasion it is yellowish. I think she has just been bouncing around and drinks too much cold water too fast! There are alot of water bowls kicking around, so she can help herself. I am not always right there when she overindulges to slow her down, so she will puke up on occasion, but is no worse for wear. Is this the case with your dog? Is she vomiting right after drinking water and romping around? You didn't say that there was any food in the mix, and she doesn't seem to be ill otherwise, so this is a possible scenario.
Old January 19th, 2005, 10:28 AM

Right now I'm feeding him Purina One (I got a coupon & figured I'd try it) during the day (morning & afternoon). Then, I give him canned food in the evening when I get home from work (Alpo) mixed w/ Purina puppy chow. (Everyone told me this wasn't good for him, but I had a whole bag & didn't think it would hurt to mix it in w/ his wet food.) I also just recently started giving him eggs, yogurt & rice to supplement his dry food.

He does drink a lot of water after he's done playing... Could this have the same effect of drinking it before?

Like I said, he doesn't act like he feels bad at all, I just hate seeing him throw up (OK, I'll admit, I hate having to clean it up too ). Thanks for the replies so far.
Old January 19th, 2005, 12:43 PM

He is possibly drinking too much too fast too soon after eating. Try holding back the water for 10 minutes after eating.
Old January 19th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Senior Contributor

IMHO,you are mixing to many different brands.And both these brands have different fillers in them.Which is something your pup doesn't need.I know you have a big bag of Puppy Chow,but please get him off of it. ..Stick with a premium brand of food.This way supplements are not needed.I have never needed to use supplements for any of my dogs.If he has started this once you have given him the egg,rice and yogurt,then stop.