Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Closed Thread

Old July 13th, 2004, 05:09 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Like LR says then you don't get a puppy that has to be crated all day long. Get an older mature dog who is already housetrained and won't be destructive.
Old July 13th, 2004, 05:13 PM
Senior Contributor

I already said i did not like him being in there for 8 hours,but by no means is the dog in dire straights by staying in there for 8 hours...I would not get a puppy now because of the training factor,i agree with luba i would get one that is older and could be left alone in the whole apt for 8 hours..
Old July 13th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Then if you agree why have you been arguing?
Old July 13th, 2004, 05:25 PM
Senior Contributor

I dont even know how this got to this point, all i was trying to note is that it can get pretty rude here and mean....I am not arguing about the crate all i am saying is it is not cruel to have one in a crate IF NEEDED i personally didnt like it for 8 hours but damien was well loved when i got home,i took him everywhere i went to make up for the time i was at work....Alot of people just cant be with there pets all day,but iwhen you are with them you just double up on the attention they get,although i did,and i probably shouldnt of loved on him so much,he became jealous...........
Old July 13th, 2004, 05:33 PM
Chocolate

Luba, the crate you had for Honey was practically twice the size of my bathroom (it's located under the stairs, so u can imagine it IS small)!! I suspect you are using the same one for Sadie. What was it? 4X5 or bigger?

You stated "tethering" results in aggressive behaviour. What's the difference btw tethering and walking a dog for three hours in your neighbourhood? How long before tying a dog up is actually considered tethering? 2min? 20? 2 hrs? What is considered "long periods of time"?

We all know that the dog considers the area/perimeter in which you walk it, its TERRITORY.

If the dog is calm, why not let it enjoy the outdoors? Unfortunately, not all home owners/renters have a fenced yard. We make do. We dont EXCLUSIVELY contain the dog chained/roped to a stationary object or stalk.

Chocolate's "tethering" was done humanely. The chain could not become entangled with other objects. Un/fortunately the chain was long enough for him to walk in his own yard, without walking onto the neighbours.

He had water readily available. He considered the yard an extension of the house. I trimmed him in the yard as well (and picked up the hair).

I ONLY chained him outside when he was CALM and RELAXED. I had a bird plate hanging off the clothesline so that Chocolate and I could be entertained. He was NOT hyper. I knew his limits and he knew how long to be outside. There was a time for everything. He loved it. I had the cats out with him as well. He guarded them to make sure they wouldnt pass the threshold. It was great. When I took him off the chain, he was STILL calm and relaxed. He did not exhibit ANY aggression whatsoever. EVER.

During this time, I took Chocolate on walks/runs/jogs. I took him off-leash and played with him in that yard. As stated earlier, I used to take him to the off-leash dog park!

From the link you have provided, it clearly states:

Your tethering link constantly refers to an OUTDOOR dog. You, of all people all this board, KNOW Chocolate is not an outdoor dog.

Step back from our perseptions and read what I am actually saying. I tell you, the day I teach Chocolate English, you're gonna be the first one I'm gonna make him call.

Luba, all this time, what did you do with Sadie when you went to work anyways? Was she free to roam around? How did you get her not to deficate in the house?

RAWCALLS, I have adopted the dog Luba rescued from the animal shelter. There is no evidence Honey WAS a hunting dog. Over time, I refuse to believe she was. She does NOT like the outdoors no where near as much as Chocolate. After a couple minutes, she's standing by the door ready to run in grab a toy and jump on the couch. Honey is Ms. Posh. She's full of herself and believes she can boss Chocolate any ways she pleases. When I first got her, she was sensitive to EVERY possible sound you could imagine. Now, doesn't the sound like a gun-shy dog? She could never stand up to a gunshot.

When Chocolate's whining and jumping in excitement for the neighbour cat to come down from the shed, Honey is jumping and growling at Chocolate! She has ZERO interest in cats. Birds? meh, sure she's more fond of them. But in comparision to Chocolate's love of cats? It's peanuts!

Sorry for the loooong post....
I feel I forgot a lot of opinions I wanted to add, but I'll see what y'all feed off from...
Old July 13th, 2004, 06:02 PM
Senior Contributor

It's been my observation that the majority of the conflicts and name calling have come from newbies having less than 5 posts when it starts. And yes, it's more often than not directed towards Luba. It's most likely because it's the newbies who come on with the stupid questions. Those who have been on a while tend to find value in the different subjects and stay with it. Those who just came searching for a quick answer aren't really interested and drop off. It's Luba who jumps in to try to help over and over again. She's just first to offer and takes the sting for it. She tells straight up without mincing her words what most of us are thinking. In spite of being "bitten" over and over again, she still jumps in first to help. She cares more about the pet's well-being than trying to reassure the poster their neglect and stupidity didn't accelerate the problem in the first place. Sometimes I'm up late at night and Luba is still on. I get up early and Luba is on. No wonder she gets discouraged alot. And yet, the next day she is right back on and answering the same stupid question she got yelled at for yesterday. Why can't these people think about their personal situations before they rescue a dog. There are certainly all kinds to chose from that need rescueing. If you're in a small home, rescue a small dog. If a family member is allergic, rescue a breed that is non-allergenic. Etc. Etc. Etc. Sorry for venting, but I sense Luba could use the support. She gets yelled at alot, but she helps so many - even those who have yelled at her.
Old July 13th, 2004, 06:06 PM
banned user

Oh my. This has gotten ugly.

I don't think that Luba is here to win a popularity contest. I think that she has very passionate responses to what she reads. Try to remember that she responds out of love for our pets. Who can be mad at someone for caring so much about our pet? I know this can be difficult when you feel that you have been judged. But she's been judged here as well.
So much can be lost in text, misinterpreted- without the inflection and cadence and emphasis of speech.

BUT the original post did say, and I quote: "She spends most of her day in her kennel and then is tied up for a little while before coming inside."
My opinion? Most of the day in a crate is too much. Add a "little while" of being tied up to all day of being crated, and it is no wonder this dog has emotional issues and tears things up in the house. What kind of day would that be for you?
Sometimes someone gets a pet when they are fully able to dedicate all the time in the world to them, and then situations change. Maybe you have to start working again, when you were a stay-at-home parent. Or maybe you were forced into a move, to a place where there is no fence, and after the cost of the move, you can't afford to put up a fence- even with the cheapest materials. We all need to remember that doo-doo occurs. In these cases we do what we have to do to get over the hump, and try to keep our pets' best interest at heart, with what little we might have to work with. As long as the situation is temporary, and we are doing all we can to remedy it, this is still a better alternative than the dog sitting on death row in the dog pound. If it turns out that it won't be so temporary after all....many a pet-owner has had to find a loving and suitable home for their pet when they realize they can no longer provide it with the type of life it deserves.
That's my opinion.
Now everyone take a deeeeeeep breath. Please?

Last edited by Cactus Flower; July 13th, 2004 at 06:08 PM. Reason: typo
Old July 13th, 2004, 06:37 PM
Senior Contributor

My last comment is that by no means was my dog neglected cause he was in his crate 8 hours while i worked,i did NOT PREFER it,but when i first got here i got alot of crap for that,no we arent all lucky and well off in life,things do change,and unless your dog is just NOT WANTED or beaten and left alone outside all the time,and just because all of us cant live up to certain peoples ideas of what taking good care of a pet means,there is no need to be rude,i do see the just dumb questions here,and do understand why you guys get aggravated,but those are questions that are about sick dogs that any adult would know better than to ask,take your damn dog to vet...It is sad that i am not the only one that has been offended,so maybe we all should take a look in the mirror and be a little kinder...I want to know how many of you have a job you have to go to mon-fri......And if you dont have to work then dont ridicule us that do and have pets.................
Old July 13th, 2004, 07:55 PM

Good heavens!!!! I don't check into this site for a day and all hell has broken loose......again. This post started out as being an inquiry as to the cause of red spots on a dog's stomach and it's turned into a full-scale confrontational bedlam. Why does it always turn so ugly. It may be true, all that was said, it may not be true. All hell broke loose when the person said they tied their dog, the comments turned nasty......FAST. What is the saying, "you catch more bees with honey then with vinegar". A more modern comment would be- if you want a dog to drink- forcing his face in the bowl isn't the way to go about it. I guess the choice here is, do you want to instruct or do you want to condemn ? If you want to condemn then there's no no time for instructing. It's like, which road do you want to walk down ?YOu see something that concerns you. YOu can wallk down the road to the left that condemns and accuses and criticizes and although the person on the other end of that doesn't gain much - they're too busy defending themselves to learn anything constructive except I suppose the fine art of defense- there must be a pay-off for the one doing it or they wouldn't keep doing it knowing that a person isn't going to take advice or instruction when they've been criticized and condemned. It's just a fact of human nature. The road to the right is a road of instruction. It's a less combative road but both can walk away feeling that they've gained. The one who learned something new and the other that they were able to help. This is not an ideal world much as everyone would like it to be. And there are alot of injustices, inadequacies, oversights, cruelty, ignorance...the list could go on. If everyone who wasn't able to provide ideally for their dog waas mad to give them up- the shelters would be full. Not right, but a fact. I was just wondering as I scanned the last- forty posts?- if the time it took to write those- what could have been accomplished to instead - have maybe warned some people about deaths caused by what was touted as so-called miracle drug Rimadyl, or the pets dying from Proheart and Vanguard 5 shots. There are vets out there giving it like it's candy- maybe they'd don't know about it- it would be hard to miss if they didn't. I read posts where people said " I wish someone would have warned me about it......."- so many posts say that and the pain they are expressing is real. The time it took to accomplilsh.......what, here?..... it could maybe have been spent doing just about anything else to alleviate pain and ignorance. All this time spent by so many members on - one person- and I' dont even know what that person learned from all this either.And before anyone takes the time to slam me on this, plese use the time instead to help/warn someone in need. It would be time better spent.
Old July 13th, 2004, 08:26 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

For those of you peeved at me right now you'll get a kick outta the fact that I just typed a very lengthy response and it got deleted some how!

Oh well, back at the ranch!

Aggie,

I suggest you read over the humane society information again, since you are only being selective with what you choose to take from it as sound advise.

Sadie is not crated all day period. She has yet to spend longer then 4 hours in that crate at once and as I said she has not been in the crate for about 2 months, see I spent time and effort training her. That is something many people aren't willing to do is put the appropriate amount of effort into something. The decision to get a puppy was based on availability and time, knowing much time would need to be invested and that someone would need to be home daily on the most part AND someone is! Had the situation been different, Sadie would not be with us and we would have adopted a mature dog.

Honey was/wasn't a hunting dog question...., she was picked up two or three days after pointer field trials in the north end of the city where she was captured. Coincidental ? Not sure, she was still a puppy when I rescued her from TAS. This was probably Honey's first field trial, she didn't cut it and they either let her go or she caught wind of something took off and didn't return and they left her there to fend on her own. That is what more then likely happened. How many pointer trainers and breeders have you spoken to in comparison to the dozens I dealt with trying to find where Honey came from?

You haven't seen her abilities because of more then one reason Aggie #1 she's not being used for hunting purposes and her skills are slowly fading. #2 She has little if anything to hunt in your backyard, it's small and fenced with wood so she can't see out only over. In my yard she caught birds and squirrels, pointed for what seemed to be hours watching something, crawling to it, ready to pounce. She was a joy to watch and is a lovely lovely dog! Some of that natural but a lot of it training. No need to ask me how I know this, I'll tell you! All those pointer trainers I dealt with, I sent them all pictures of her and they told me, so see it's not me 'thinking or pretending I know something it's facts from someone else' hey what do ya know!

I do not shoot my mouth (or type words) off without having some credibility to back it up. So please, all you individuals who think that it is fine to tether a dog show me your credibility in doing so?

Rawcalls, if you do not like what I write dont' read it! Or comment on it, but expect that I may respond.

I don't back down to being challenged unless my brain has been numbed by dumbness, then I just don't bother responding. If you don't get through to someone on the tenth try, it's not gonna happen. I can invest my time with someone who will want to learn or has an open not closed mind.

With everything in life, not just dogs or dog care some people are threatened by someone elses knowledge. I'm aware of this and use this as a tool to keep me going, if not I'd bang my head on my keyboard until the letters popped off!

Heidi is a good example, after several attempts on many individuals part she finally realised that she had a decision to make and I am very happy she did. Her puppy needed more then what she could give him, and though defensive, challenging and sometimes downright childish with her name calling...she finally saw that we were all trying to help her. Without this board and the people on it supporting her, even when she thought we were being hard on her..who knows what her situation with Damien would have turned in to? My guess, probably not very good. So Heidi, in many ways you've learned a lot and I hope you continue to learn and observe and contribute with what you now know as well.

Glasslass and Cactus Flower,
You are both very kind and I am humbled by your words and support.
Yes, it does get difficult sometimes to come back on here and try to assist people after being bashed so many times.

I am not alone on this, there are others on here who get the same amount of criticism as I do for being strong in their beliefs that people need to make better judgement calls on their pets lives.
Old July 13th, 2004, 08:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Hey justncase, I did notice you vanished when I suggested you diplomatically answer the post from the individual who has allowed her cat to suffer and die by inches since June 27 (when we first told her to take it to the vet) and wants us to tell her what to do still.

I'm sure you would have had a wonderful and helpful answer. Too bad you disappeared just then. But feel free to reply to other health related posts! I haven't noticed you answering any of them.....??

And Luba does an incredible amount to help animals, including legwork and networking to try and find homes for people coming here to dump their pets, and gets NO thanks at all. What do you do to help animals? I'd love to hear all about it!

Quote:
plese use the time instead to help/warn someone in need. It would be time better spent.
When I need someone to tell me how to spend my time, I'll be sure you consult you!
Old July 13th, 2004, 08:39 PM
banned user

Laughing my posterior off here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old July 13th, 2004, 08:42 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Cactus Flower
That has got to be the absolute most funniest (improper grammar) thing I've seen in a LONG time.

laughing my posterior off! Oh gosh you got me, I'm busting guts here!

You'se a funny one!

LR you know how much I appreciate you comrade. Between the two of us we've dodged more bullets then daffy and bugs have in the cartoooonies!
Old July 13th, 2004, 08:49 PM
Senior Contributor

BTW, justncase, remember you came here looking for a GSD? Even though you refused to tell us if you lived in BC or NS or somewhere in between,(what's THAT all about??) I still found a dog for you and you never even bothered to reply.

Kinda ill-mannered, hmmmm?
Old July 13th, 2004, 09:02 PM

Thank you LR!!

You are such a great moderator, I hope you realize that. I think your earlier post was excellent and also had me laughing my posterior off

I completely agree and anyone who has a problem with Luba should take some time to read the multiple posts where she goes above and beyond, doing everything possible to help people offer the best care for their pets. All they have to do is look at that beautiful dog of hers and see that she does a great job and knows what she is talking about. BTW, I could totally tell the difference between Sadie and Cookie...Sadie is way prettier.

And so what is she has strong opinions? Everyone is entitled to disagree. As someone once pointed out - THIS IS A PUBLIC FORUM, that is what it is for. Why people get their backs up and get so angry is beyond me.

Although, it does seem that Sadie is stealing all the boys here. Poor Molly gets no love

As for justncase, it seems to me you do a lot more criticizing than contributing. Perhaps you would be better off spending your energy somewhere else?
Old July 13th, 2004, 09:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you Missy. I appreciate that.
Old July 13th, 2004, 09:07 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

You want me to fix Molly up with a little sum'n sum'n Missy?

I appreciate your comments and the lovely things you said about me and my girl Sadie and my other girl LR!
Old July 13th, 2004, 09:08 PM
Chocolate

Luba, I strongly believe that the pointer field trails and the TAS finding Honey 2/3 days later at the field by Malvern Mall is ONLY a coincidence. She was no pup either. My vet checked out her teeth (inc. that missing gap) and confirmed my suspicions Honey was closer to 2 than 1yr old.

These are my beliefs, not yours. I regret our relationship has deteriorated to such a level. I see that it's hard to put the past behind us since this is what has brought us together... I wish that you could see different people do things differently. We ultimately choose what is best for our loved ones. There is absolutely no reason for you to come along and suggest others (such as myself) are not providing the best care/treatment for our dog(s). You seem to be too involved in others' dogs.

I am VERY happy with my dogs, as they are with me. I take care of them to the best of my abilities, they are in my future. They are my FAMILY. There is nothing I want more than to enhance my fabulous relationship with them.

Please dont compare your situation to mine. You and I both know they are vastly different. I choose to live mine this way. Please respect it.

ps. my posts got deleted twice today thanx to my explorer.
Old July 13th, 2004, 09:28 PM

Comment:

BTW, justncase, remember you came here looking for a GSD? Even though you refused to tell us if you lived in BC or NS or somewhere in between,(what's THAT all about??) I still found a dog for you and you never even bothered to reply.

Kinda ill-mannered, hmmmm?

Reply:

I didn't check the adoption forum after it was determined that there were alot of problems with transportation etc. I thought I would just look in my area instead. But I went back to the forum and, yes, sure enough, the dog you posted was a female. I think I had posted I wanted a male. .
As for the other,I'm not going to get pulled into it. I don't know what cat dying by inches you're talking about. Can't even find it in the thread . Rawcalls seems to have answered the previous post better than I could so I left it at that. I thought there might be a way through this. People coming here for help are getting turned off. Yo u might say so what. They know where the X button is on the top of the screen. Yes they do, and while they're getting turned off and tuned out- there sits, maybe nearby ,a pet who may have been in urgent need of help just as their caregiver was in urgent need of some information. If they are as ignorant and selfish as you say they are then even more so in need of some direction. . When they turn off and tune out they do the same with any "help" that may h ave been given . You may be been right in your view but the pet is not in your care and it's the pet who pays the price.
Old July 13th, 2004, 09:28 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Aggie I hate to break this to you but Honey is going on 2 years YES but when I got her from TAS TEN months ago she wasn't!

Aggie you're too young to have the knowledge and experience many others of us on here do. Chocolate was your first dog, Sadie is NOT my first!

I was raised with dogs, been around them my entire life. You, only a very few small years (how old is Chocolate again?)

So, you could take the information and advise I offer to you as helpful.
Instead you take it as criticism. Something perhaps as you mature will eventually fade away. It did with me, I was once your age and thought my way was 'okay' for everything I did. As you grow and experience lifes ups/downs and hardships you learn to know that people who offer their wisdom in many cases is a blessing.

Quote:
You seem to be too involved in others' dogs.
If I wasn't 'too involved' YOU would never have gotten your beloved Honey. I could have left her at TAS, sick and not getting vet care. I chose to pay the full adoption fee to get her out of there and WAIVED those expenses to YOU feeling you and your then live in boyfriend were the best applicants to adopt her. All this, on top of giving money towards her spay. So, now I say to you....what have you done to better the world for a dog that isn't your own?

You should be ashamed of yourself Aggie for the way you are addressing me!
Old July 13th, 2004, 09:58 PM
Senior Contributor

ooops,what happened here,I was not going to get involved,since I am kind of old fashioned
I've only had 3 dogs in my lifetime,putting a dog in a cage WOULD have been animalcruelty in those days and I am sorry Heidi,but locking up a GSD puppy in a cage for 8 hours is cruel and unusual punishment,in my view.
You ended up doing what was right for your Damien.
Also chaining a dog alone outside would NEVER have entered my mind,I too had three kids,but in taking on a puppy,that puppy is the responsability of all familymembers and the puppy should not be excluded,he is a family-member.
If you for any reason feel your dog has to be chained or crated for long periods of time,don't get a dog!!
I will not go into hunting,I've always been 100% against any form of killing for sport,but that is my view,many people enjoy the thrill of killing an animal
and have a different lifestyle than me,but it takes all kinds to make the world go around
Also as I have said many times,our main concern is the animals and their wellfare and that means sometimes toes will be stepped on.
Luba,Lucky,Talons Ma,Missy or anyone else love and care for animals,some go one step further and rescue abused and abandonned animals,bend over backwards to find good homes and I for one will line up behind them in full support.
Old July 13th, 2004, 10:17 PM
Chocolate

Luba, unfortunately, it is you who is attempting to belittle me.

You did not have to waive the adoption fee nor did your mother have to provide the money for Honey's spaying.

I did not ask for it, I accepted it and thanked you and your mother.

From what you are saying NOW, it seems that you weren't in your best judgement to give Honey up to me, eh?

Yes, I live on my own, I'm 22, I have a f/t job, I'm going back to school in the fall, and I have two dogs.

I AM knowledgable and experienced. If you feel I was too young (Chocolate's 3yrs old, I doubt you forgot that at your age), what possessed you to give Honey up and put her in my care?

Back in October, you said Honey was no more than a yr old. When I took her to the vet in May, I was told Honey could even be 2.5yrs old.

One last thing, as I asked you months ago, please refrain from bringing up my personal information onto this board. This board is about PETS, not the size of my wallet and with whom I have lived.

Got that? I can play fire with fire, too.

Old July 14th, 2004, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wAggie

One last thing, as I asked you months ago, please refrain from bringing up my personal information onto this board. This board is about PETS, not the size of my wallet and with whom I have lived.

I wholeheartedly agree with this comment. This whole thread should have been shut down a long time ago. Moderators should be shutting down these types of threads, especially when this was not even the topic started. Take your personal issues off board.

Heather
Old July 14th, 2004, 07:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luba
Aggie you're too young to have the knowledge and experience many others of us on here do. Chocolate was your first dog, Sadie is NOT my first!

I was raised with dogs, been around them my entire life. You, only a very few small years (how old is Chocolate again?)

So, you could take the information and advise I offer to you as helpful.
Instead you take it as criticism. Something perhaps as you mature will eventually fade away. It did with me, I was once your age and thought my way was 'okay' for everything I did. As you grow and experience lifes ups/downs and hardships you learn to know that people who offer their wisdom in many cases is a blessing.

If I wasn't 'too involved' YOU would never have gotten your beloved Honey. I could have left her at TAS, sick and not getting vet care. I chose to pay the full adoption fee to get her out of there and WAIVED those expenses to YOU feeling you and your then live in boyfriend were the best applicants to adopt her. All this, on top of giving money towards her spay. So, now I say to you....what have you done to better the world for a dog that isn't your own?

You should be ashamed of yourself Aggie for the way you are addressing me!
I must say Luba, I realize how passionate you are about animals, that I very much appreciate. You and Lucky both do a heck of a job on this forum...BUT this comment is very uncalled for. I also take much offense to it. How dare you! I don't know how informed you are about HUMANS, but MANY people are very intellegent and not all that intellegence must come with age - though they may not have all the knowledge of rescuing or breeding, hunting, showing, training, etc. etc. they can still love and care for their pets LIKE YOU!!! Us immature young people can still be responsible pet owners! Poor Aggie - that's just so hurtful what you have said to her!! She is not way deserve that strip that you tore out of her, and airing her personal details to everone to read - that's not very mature is it?!? I really hope when I get old like you I will be as knowledgeable about animals, but people skills, I'll pass thanks....

edited: Just wanted to add that I believe that when this whole thread started it was stated that Dixie was only outside inteh back for a MAXIMUM of 2 hours and then she lived indoors with the family. I don't think that this is the same abuse and neglect that you were so quick to call it. Sadie is in a crate for 4 hours you posted - would that not be considered the same?
Old July 14th, 2004, 07:44 AM

Unhappy

Ok...this has turned absolutely ridiculous. But, that is why I quit with public forum posts...they are as bad as chat rooms sometimes.

Dixie gets crated for the day. She was never tied up until about 2 weeks ago when people started telling us she was running through the woods to the road. I am a busy full time mom who when I get home, have to take care of dinner and kids....FIRST PRIORITY. So, her freedom was too much for her to handle, (she IS a DOG) so, while dinner is getting ready, she is tied out to exercise and run and go to the bathroom. (I would let her run, but she takes off and is gone in 30 seconds flat) so, then she gets to come in and spend the evening inside and sleep on the couch and whatever. She was only tied up when we thought she had ringworm so that it didn't spread to the kids. If you can't understand that, that is fine. As for the crate, there are different opinions, however not many here tend to care about others' opinions, just there own. So, I can take that up too.

I will not be on anymore, I only posted here at work because I was worried about Dixie, thanks for the suggestions, and the VET solved the problem. I TRIED to be nice about not agree with everyone and just took it as water off a duck's back until Luba started REALLY PUSHING her opinion. That quote "you get more bees with honey than vinegar" was exactly my thought yesterday toward her opinions. BUT she is very strong in her beliefs and that can be good, I only think she could go about it a little differently, but I am just another name on the computer, so she doesn't need to take my advice anymore than I need to take hers.

Some people don't understand others' situations and that is fine, but judging everyone is WRONG and she got judged when she started dishing it out. But, I see it is something she feens off of, because she blamed Heidho for making it all about her but I think the post became all about Luba.

For those who care, I WAS doing what I could to find and get a fence put up for her...I didn't like her being crated and she couldn't be inside all day. I found a free fence and dog house for her! I am very excited. I just need my husband to go and get it and put it up. This MIGHT take a little while to make the arrangements, but at least it is the near future. Good luck to you all and to all of your animals....sorry to cause this big disturbance, however, I am sure if it wasn't here....it just would have started somewhere else.
Old July 14th, 2004, 07:58 AM

I should clarify before I confuse....

Tied up for a little while in the evening (no more than 2 hours) starting two weeks ago.

Tied up for the day, and kennel in the evening for two days when we thought she had ringworm, just until we could get her to the doctor because ringworm is highly HIGHLY contageous to children. As it was, I scrubbed my carpets and couches where she lays just in case.

My kids come first.
Old July 14th, 2004, 09:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Give me a break cruel and unusual punishment,the dog had toys,bed,air conditioned apt...That is not c and u...I said i didnt like having him in there for 8 hours,but by no means was it torture for him...Millions of people across this country do the same thing...I did everything in my power to make sure he was spoiled rotten and that was part of our downfall,i pampered that dog and he wound up in control,well i am not going there,the whole point was about how people say things can come across really rude..The comment about manhandling his dog,WHATEVER,just like kids some dogs need a little physical punishment,i could verbally say stuff to damien HE DID NOT BUDGE,and about tieing a dog up outside i do not like it,unless it is a case where there is no fence and the owner is out there playing with the dog,but to leave a dog tied up outside for hours i dont agree with,just my opinion..
Old July 14th, 2004, 10:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Not sure I understand where your post was directed Heidi... Tying a dog for a couple of hours is completely different then confining a dog to and area outside on a lead, and that's it's living area. Dixie is socialized and does spend time indoors with the family. The dog is not forced to live outside.

I also use a crate for training Briggs. Though, I NEVER close the door. She gets her treats in there, she gets her toys in there, there is a huge fluffy blanket. We go out in the morning and when we return I tell her "home" and she goes to the crate. I give her a bone and put up the baby gate for the time that she is alone in the apartment.
Old July 14th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Senior Contributor

My post was directed to the person [cant remember which one] that said crating for 8 hours is CRUEL AND UNUSUAL PUNISHMENT....
Old July 14th, 2004, 10:16 AM
Senior Contributor

That would be chico...You have some very odd ideas of what cruel and unusual punishment is,take a look at the dogs on animal police,[how they live]that is c and u..........................
Closed Thread