Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 20th, 2013, 07:26 PM

Cat throws up after eating

I have a 3 year old tabby cat that for the last few months she has been throwing up after eating (usually once or twice a month). She only throws up after eating her dry food. I have had her in to the vet for a checkup where I brought this up, and was told it can be normal in cats.

I have watched her eat and she doesn't seem to chew the kibble, she just inhales it. To me it seems like regurgitation.

Should I be worried?....
Old April 20th, 2013, 08:35 PM

We stopped feeding kibble altogether after Mr Miyagi ended up badly constipated and to the point where he was throwing up everything. He STILL cannot handle kibble to this day and that episode was going on 3 years ago.

What would happen if you did without the kibble for a while as a test to see if the vomiting stopped?
Old April 20th, 2013, 08:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Maybe you could try feeling a little food at a time and see if that help, if your cat still vomit it up your cat may be allergic to it.
Old April 20th, 2013, 11:17 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Mine will sometimes if they eat too fast. But yup I would be inclined to do away with the crunchies or fed wet as well. I feed mostly wet now, cats with urinary issues. they get about 1/2 cup between the 4 of them at night, to do them till morning. Does your cat get hairball stuff regularly? Being that it's spring (or at least it is by the calendar!!) they're likely shedding quite a bit.
Old April 21st, 2013, 12:41 AM
Willing cat servant

One of the most common causes is fast eating. Some cats just eat too fast and vomiting tends to happen when they do. Wet food might ease that or give a smaller portion to prevent your kitty from stuffing with food and once is done give the rest.
Old April 21st, 2013, 03:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_mommy View Post
She only throws up after eating her dry food. I have had her in to the vet for a checkup where I brought this up, and was told it can be normal in cats.
I hate it when vets say that vomiting "is normal in cats". It isn't. It might be common, often because of an inappropriate (ie *dry*) diet, but it most certainly isn't normal. I agree with the others: ditch the kibble. There are many reasons why cats shouldn't be eating it, and regurgitation is one.

www.catinfo.org

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old April 22nd, 2013, 07:35 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

I've been giving this company free advertising (because I keep mentioning them lol) for about 18 months now.

My cat baci is a human garbage can and eats too fast. I do believe that he actually developed pneumonia this year because kibble (during a few times we didn't use the pipolino) got into his lungs from eating so fast.

But this slows him right down and has made him less obsessive about food. Highly recommended even though it's pricey (40.00) for what it is. It is well constructed though.

Normally a bowl of kibble would be inhaled in 1-3 minutes. That same amount takes nearly 12 minutes (so the cat feels fuller - both vets and human doctors will attest to the fact that when you eat too fast your brain doesn't send the same "full" signals versus when the meal takes longer to finish).

In general though - wet food is far better than dry because cats need extra water and it's there in the wet food. (My Baci gets a mix of wet and dry)

http://www.pipolino.ca/eng/pipolino.html

Hope that may help
Attached Images

Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 8th, 2013, 10:10 PM

I second everyone who suggested just not giving your cat kibble at all. But, I will add that I had this problem with my cat, Kitty. She would eat so fast and then throw up kibble that had not been chewed at all. I did two things that made a big difference. One, I stopped using a cat bowl. I started using a little shallow baking pan (the one that came with my toaster oven.) I would spread the kibble out on that and it REALLY slowed down the speed of Kitty's eating. I also did not sit the pan directly on the floor. I placed it on a platform that was 2-3 inches high. My 'platform' was just an overturned plastic food container that was a couple inches deep.