Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 24th, 2004, 01:53 PM
~Cat Servent~

Question What to do if it is a child hurting an animal...

There is a cat that comes to visit me every day...he eats the stray cat food and naps on my patio chairs and snuggles with me every afternoon. While petting him I have noticed that the end of his tail somewhere along the way had been broken and healed with a crook in it. My husband caught the neighbourhood kids picking him up and putting him through a basketball hoop (he of course scared the bejesus outta the kids and we haven't caught them doing that since), and on many occassions while I have been sitting with him, some of the other neighbourhood kids have come to me to tell me how poorly he is treated by the owners. He is outdoors pretty much 24/7 so far as I can tell, he has fleas, and right now a small wound on his ear and a weepy eye. He is usually in good spirits and always friendly. I did go to talk to the owner and let her know about the fleas etc. and tried to teach her daughter how to properly carry him. I asked if he ever got to come inside and she said "sometimes but not often". Also this lady had a cat before that one of the other neighbours simply took due to the lack of care, and kept as their own. I mentioned to her that I would be willing to take him when she said that he is outside because he is not good with kids (I think rather that the kids are not good with him because no one is keepin an eye on either), he had been left with her by a tenant who moved and could not take him. I found out also that he even has the chip and I'm guessing was taken care of by the last owners. She even told me that I could take him in at night if I wanted. This was 4 days ago. Yesturday she told me that if she does give him to me that she is going to get a kitten for her little girl which to me defeats the purpose of giving up the one they claim to own in the first place! I seriously considered just doing what the other neighbour did and just taking him, but I don't feel comfortable doing that as kids are involved. And so I am wondering what actions I can take if she does not let me take him? As it is now, I am affraid that someone else may take him in because he wanders a very large area here, or that something may happen to him like the other day, he was up a very large tree chasing a squirrel and almost fell out when he hit a branch that was not strong enough for him! It's wrong I know but I really am already attached to this little guy , that's why just taking him seemed like such an easy answer.... maybe I should give her a time limit to decide cause I am just not a patient person!
Old August 24th, 2004, 02:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Take him!! She doesn't really seem to care and frankly, people who don't care don't deserve the love of a pet!!! I honestly would take him, and not even think twice about it...poor lil thing!!! Could you help the little girl more? Invite her over and show her proper care of a cat? I know you said you tried, but maybe if she had some responsibility to YOU, like to come and brush the cat, or feed it every day....that might help!

Ah, just do it!! LOL Take him!! He obviously loves you, and you obviously love him...what better reason??
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old August 24th, 2004, 02:22 PM

I agree with Catt31. Take him! He sounds like a great cat and doesn't deserve the treatment he's getting. Just be prepared. If this woman ends up getting another kitten for her daughter, you might end up with 2 cats before long!!

As for what the neighborhood kids are doing to him - if you know where they live, you might talk to the parents. BUT, a lot of people will say "Ah, boys will be boys" (I know - there might be girls involved too!) and not be concerned at all about the cat's welfare. If you don't know where they live or don't feel comfortable approaching their parents, maybe you can write a letter to your local paper explaining what you've seen and heard. That might give some of the kids or their parents a bit of a guilt trip.
Old August 24th, 2004, 02:25 PM

If you catch the kids mistreating, I would maybe even call your community police station, most of the time a visit from a police officer to the kids homes will smarten them up. This may be farfetched, but it just makes me so mad that parents let their children run wild and don't teach them right from wrong.
I think you should take the cat, I know I would, if they get another take that too, eventually hopefully they will give up getting pets.

3 very furry kids -

2 black cats - Pepper and Joey
1 Shih Tzu Puppy - Sophie
Old August 24th, 2004, 05:10 PM

I agree with Catt too, take him! He deserves to be in a loving home and inside the house at night before he gets hit by a car or abused by some rotton little kids who dont like animals. You two have obviously bonded already,I'm sure he loves you and you will take much better care of him,take him and give him the love and care he deserves, I would and I'm sure most of the animal lovers here would too.
Old August 24th, 2004, 05:14 PM
~Cat Servent~

Ok....so if I had of waited like 10 minutes to post that....I could have just posted the happy ending! Buca is now living with me! LOL... the Lady did see that she cannot take care of her kids and the cat, she only hesitated because she wanted to make sure that I would give him a good home. I went out to run an errand around 4pm and she caught me outside and told me to take him anytime....so about 1/2 hour later I nabbed him when he came for his afternoon nap and took him straight to my vet. He is now resting ( I hope) in my spare room. We are going to slowly introduce him to the girls, so for now he has to be seperated and of course I gave all three a dose of Revolution, just in case he brings anything in with him! Thank goodness my cats were finicky about litter boxes cause I have like three extra! So he is all set up and I will go in and sit with him off and on until he can be let loose to make my home his own!

And FYI...I got more of his story today too....he is pretty healthy, still in his first year (would explain his feistiness at the vets!), and this will be his fourth home!!!! Well let me tell ya its his last!!!! First he was with a stripper who got him fixed and chipped and seemingly took good care of him, but left him here to run away to Toronto....then he was taken in by some crack-heads in this building, who got kicked out and had to leave him....then was taken in by the lady and her kids who just gave him to me! Man what an exciting first year....all the while being outdoors, eating dead birds and wandering the streets at night with the strays!!!!! SOME PEOPLE!

Ah...oh well....soon he will be happy as pie and King of our little home! Now just to get the girls to share their throne!!!!
Old August 24th, 2004, 05:15 PM
~Cat Servent~

OOOOOOh and I did say that the little girl can come visit anytime, and I will do my best to teach these neighbourhood wild kids how to properly treat and care for animals. And....you'll all be pleased to know that I should soon also have pics of him as I took a couple out on my patio on my last roll of film!
Old August 24th, 2004, 05:19 PM

Good for you! That poor little soul being bounced around like that, I'm so glad to hear that he is in a safe place, you are a very sweet person
Old August 24th, 2004, 05:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Yippeeeee!! I'm sooo glad he has found his final happy home!! Good for you!!! Are you going to keep him as an inside cat? Your girls will love him too in time!! I'm still waiting for Spunky to love Tux, and its been 6 years...LOL She tolerates him for the most part!!!
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old August 24th, 2004, 05:55 PM

Take Him Take Him Take Him

That was how I ended up with one of my cats. My boyfriend and seen them put her outside several times (she was not fixed) and even went as far as to keep her outside when it was -30 outside. One night my boyfriend went home pretty late in the evening and sure enough there was this tiny little cat that could hardly walk because she was so cold, not to mention terrified. He called me asking if I would take her and of course I said yes. That woman could have come and knocked on my door and I would have told her to shove it where the sun don't shine( mind the language) If you cannot take care of an animal than you should not have one, and this woman that you speak of sounds pretty ignorant. If this little kitty seeks out your love everyday then he deserves to be with you. As for the lady, I would consider calling the SPCA or police or something and maybe try and find a way to prevent this woman from getting any more pets. This little cat was lucky to find you! and I say TAKE HIM AND RUN!!!
Good luck and I can't wait to see some pictures
Old August 24th, 2004, 05:58 PM

Helps to read the whole thing hey.
Congradulations on the new addition to your family.
Old August 24th, 2004, 06:20 PM
Sammi

Wow! Where was the SPCA in this cats life? No one called them when he was first abandoned??? (It's a criminal offence to abandon an animal, too bad the law isn't enforced).

All that aside, all animal lovers would like to thank you for your kindness in taking this poor guy in We need more people like you and less like the other owners in this story.

If the "dirty" gets another cat and allows it to become flea infested etc, call the SPCA, (orders should be issued) and call CAS, it can't be healthy for the children growing up in a flea infested home. (that's if she atleast took the cat in once with fleas).
Old August 24th, 2004, 06:59 PM
~Cat Servent~

Well the fleas are kinda givin me the heeby jeebies....I really hate bugs, but he is so worth it. The lady came by with her mother just after I got him settled...and the mom was all upset that the daughter had given him to me....I found a really polite way to say "tough ****" !!!!! They even mentioned the first woman that just "took" their other kitten...I had to hold my tongue there- they say "stole", LOL the rest of us say "rescued" . I even tried to explain that they should wait until the kids are older before they get any more pets.

And on a lighter note.... hubby is thrilled not to be the only man in the house!!!!
Old August 24th, 2004, 07:20 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

A lovely ending to a sad beginning

Happy to hear!!
Old August 24th, 2004, 07:23 PM
Crusader

Thumbs up A new Start

Way too go krdahmer big hug's!!! job well done.. cant wait to see him
Old August 24th, 2004, 07:29 PM
~Cat Servent~

Oh and if we didn't have that silly 3 cat rule here, I would be trying to gather up my two little strays too!!! ( Am going to call an adoption place to get their help and/or opinion on that one too!)
Old August 24th, 2004, 08:14 PM
Senior Contributor

That little waif has had a lot of rejection, neglect, and abuse in his short life. I bet he thinks he's died and gone to heaven now! Thank you for intervening for him!
Old August 24th, 2004, 09:22 PM
~Cat Servent~

LOL...not cooped up in that 10x10 bedroom!!!
But alas it is necessary....I know he prob. just wants to be out hangin with the alley cats and chasing birds...but he'll have to settle for me, a scratch post and a krinkly ball!!!! I think I'll make him one of my special homemade catnip pouches....complete with pistachio shells for something to chew on, and plastic bag stuffing for that added krinkle!!! I know the girls love them and after watching him with toys...I know he will too. Hubby is so excited, he even wants to take him on a little trip in the truck. I said he'd have to wait until he gets used to us and being indoors first!
Old August 25th, 2004, 06:54 AM

I love reading great stories like this. Thanks sooo much for saving this little kitty.

3 very furry kids -

2 black cats - Pepper and Joey
1 Shih Tzu Puppy - Sophie
Old August 25th, 2004, 07:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Awww KrDahmer,you win the Gold Medal for your caring heart (too much Olympics!!!)
This little guy is very lucky!!
You might run into some problems,like him wanting to go outside,it's sometimes very difficult to train an outdoor cat to stay inside,but I am sure you'll persevere.
The fleaproblem should soon be taken care of,if it's severe,maybe the vet can give him a fleabath,I would not attempt it on my own
Introducing him to your beautiful girls,will also take a lot of patience and probably a lot of hissing,but I am sure you know that.
At 1yr old he's not much more than a kitten,that will make it a little easier...
As for the kids and cruelty to animals,maybe a police-officer or a HS-officer could come and speak to the kids,have them clean out some cages in the shelter
I once caught two kids,shooting and killing a mother Robin on MY property,with pellet-guns.I caught the kids in the act,split the two guns in two over my knee,felt like smacking the kids..but did not.
I wrote the story in my local newspaper and it got printed,I could never understand why parents let the kids get pellet-guns,more than likely they will start shooting at cans,but progress to shoot at animals
Once again,thank's for being the wonderful person you are
Old August 25th, 2004, 10:34 AM
~Cat Servent~

Wow! Bravo and ditto to you Chico! I know that too often people just stand by and let incidents like that go on, like say those kids' parents! It's nice to see that there are folks who will step in... and I think if more did, and we had more of a "respect for adults" kind of world like the one I and I'm sure many here grew up in, there would be a whole lot less of these really sick and twisted individuals. I mean if they see it in the movies, on TV and the News and no one is there to explain it to them...what do they expect the outcome will be!!!!!!!!!!!! (Ok absent parent rant over! )

So Bravo for your big heart too!!!!
Old August 25th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Good job!
Old August 25th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank's and good luck!!!Maybe we'll get to see a pic of the new guy soon
Old August 25th, 2004, 10:05 PM
~Cat Servent~

Check the pic section he's there now!