Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old August 5th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Advice: Inviting the bulldog over...

Hello helpful readers,
I have found someone who needs a little help. The human is going through a divorce and some emotional crisis-type stuff and needs some help with his dog.
He is looking for a family to foster his 2.5 year old male bulldog while he is sorting himself out. I volunteered to help.
We already have two dogs, so I thought a temporary third might be a nice edition.
The bulldog has "issues' with Great Danes, and upon meeting my DDB displayed some dominance. I was getting something from the car, so my husband was assisting with the introduction but it went something like this:
Bulldog-- Teeth, no hackles, some vocalization
DDB-- Hackles, wagging tail, no vocalization, no teeth

After this initial meeting, the dogs were separated and we tried some on leash walk bys. Much better, no repsonse from the bulldog, no response from my DDB.
My DDB is very calm and will submit. After this initial meeting he did not make eye contact and could calmly sit beside the bulldog. At one point the DDB went over to greet the bulldogs owner, and the bulldog tolerated this.

I would like to help this man out and sit his dog. From what I have observed, we have a poorly mannered bulldog who needs some structure and some discipline around other dogs.
Can you please give me some suggestions on introducing this dog into my house? We will be house sitting for at least 6 months, with the possibility of adopting the dog.
Cheers,
Joanne
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire
Old August 5th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Rottie owner and lover

Sometimes the best thing to do with same sex dogs is separation. Those are both very powerful breeds, and god forbid if anything ever happened. My suggestion is crating the bulldog, let him know he is last in the pack, feed him last pet him last and so forth. NEVER leave those 2 dogs alone together. Always be right there, any posturing, do not tolerate, any staring on down do not tolerate from the bulldog.
You do not want your DDB to be put out in his own home(meaning not comfortable) Good luck
Old August 5th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Senior Contributor

Hello Rottielover,
I am really hoping to have these dogs get along, or at least tolerate one another. You don't think the progress we made past the initial dominance was hopeful?

Cheers,
Joanne
Old August 5th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Senior Contributor

It is hopeful but don't get comfortable. Yes, you might get to a point where they peacefully co-exist but it will take some time and I am not talking about a couple of days here.

RottieLover is right - you need to establish an order in your home as to where this new dog's place is. He needs to know, from the get-go, what the rules are and that you expect them to be followed.

As long as both are calm and you are RIGHT there, let them interact. But if you have to leave the room for any reason - one of them needs to go with you. Do not, under any circumstances, leave them alone for a SECOND at this point.
Old August 5th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Senior Contributor

This bulldog has been badly spoiled, and treated like a human who is allowed to run the household.
There is another family who could take him, but the owners will offer less structure and discipline that we are willing to.
Do you think I should pass on this offer to help and send the bulldog to another home?
Old August 5th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Just to add the English Bulldog is good with people and other dogs, especially my Rottie. Apparently, this issue with other male dogs is new to the owner- though I have no idea of why or how it originates.
This dog is spirited and sweet, so it is hard not to want to help him. My DDB is calm and gentle, and while I was handling him at the park he sat calmly and patiently and was unconcerned about the bulldog- he really didn't bother with him again. Past the initial situation, we didn't see those behaviours again. My DDB let the bulldog smell him and be close to him.
Old August 5th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Personally, I would prefer to see a bulldog go to a home with structure and dog experience. But the real question is this - are you comfortable with bringing this dog into your home and working to make him the best dog he can be? If you are - then go for it!
Old August 5th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank you LavenderRott. I needed to hear someone else say Go For It!
I really do feel like this little man and I have been waiting to meet. My dogs are my family, but also my hobby- I spend my time loving them and working with them.
I was starting to have some doubts, thinking maybe I am being selfish and this is not in the dogs best interest- it will be too much work, too much effort for everyone. Too hard for him to get along, not fair to my DDB etc...
I know that this spoiled little guy wants to be part of a pack, not run a household like he has been. Once we get him balanced and adjusted to being a dog, I am sure he have a really fun life
Old August 5th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Molly's mama

I too say go for it! As long as you are willing to commit to this dog. Maybe it will all just take some time and patience.
We would love to see some pics of the new pack when you get a chance!
Old August 5th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Mollywog. I have fallen in love. This little man is so adorable and very sweet natured. I will gladly post pictures.
I am a nut to pseudo adopt a dog that I already love. I may have to give him back Oh well...
Old August 5th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Senior Contributor

I really don't have too much more to add.

LavendeRott and Rottielover always have really good advice on this kind of stuff.
I kind of have to side with the separation thing, at least for now. Get to where he's respectful and mannerly with you before attempting more introduction to other dogs. He needs to be where he understands corrections and what they imply before anything else. He needs to know commands like sit and lay down also, that will help with being able to have him around other dogs (I won't say socialize with other dogs because that may be too much to ask right now...some dogs don't enjoy playing and tons of interaction from other dogs and he may be one of those). If he already knows these things that's a plus, but make sure to brush up.
Also keep your dog from trying to play with and force physical interaction on him, even if he appears to accept it at first. Since dogs will correct each other physically you want to protect him from HAVING to correct your dog at the moment. The point is he shouldn't have to take it upon himself to keep your dog from pestering him, he needs to know that's your job at the moment and any aggressive correction from him is unacceptable and unnecessary.

Also, do you have an experience breaking up dog fights?

I hate to be negative but with two powerful dogs it's imperative that you know the safe and correct way to do it both by yourself and with someone else. It's always harder and riskier to break up fights by yourself though so your husband would be a big help, make sure he knows how too.
You may actually want to get someone to show you the correct way (just reading how is probably not enough).
If breaking up fights isn't something you have experience with I would definitely go with separating them right now.
Old August 6th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Senior Contributor

Great advice has been given. I am curious however if all dogs are sterilized?

You have 'power breeds' however it sounds like your dogs are stable and socialized. The bulldog however may have issues that will slowly appear due to the change of environment and new 'friends'. Usually, certain undesired behaviours will appear within the next 2 weeks and on ward. The best course of action is to correct this new addition immediately and do not give him an inch. He must learn that there is new rules and must adapt. You also want to ensure that he remains at the bottom of the pecking order so that the other dogs are not 'forced' to secure their positions. In time, everything will fall into place.

It is very important to continue with leash training him in order to connect with you and the other dogs. This activity usually brings out a positive state of mind and interaction between all dogs. I am a true believer in walking all dogs together so that they understand that they are accepted as all in the family sort of speak.

Very very important, even though you are excited, to ensure that this dog is not dotted over any more than the other dogs. When you are giving treats - he is last to be offered the yummies, same goes for feeding, leashing etc.

I would not leave these dogs alone together either until everything falls into place.

You sound confident, and your dogs seem well adjusted. I say go for it but also be realistic and cautious. As cute as bulldogs are....they are also very stubborn and somewhat difficult to train. You have to be more stubborn with him, than he is with you.

Best of luck to you....and where are the pictures???
Old August 6th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Senior Contributor

MacoMom,

Sounds like you've gotten a lot of helpful advice above. How are things going at this point? It sounds like you were pretty observant about how the inital greeting went, and to be honest, it didn't sound all negative to me.

I agree that it is important to ensure the new dog has a lot of boundaries and structure, especially because there may have been a lot of emotional stress/turmoil in his home prior to coming to you - as a result of a divorcing couple. Generally when I hear that an animal has come from a divorcing home, I prepare for a challenge because - as I'm sure you know - dogs feed off of our energy. Usually the animals are high-strung, anxious, and take a while to really trust their environment again.

From what you described was the initial meeting, I'm sensing a dog with some insecurity (bulldog) which again could be a result of being in a stressful environment for the past who-knows-how-long.

I agree 100% with BenMax. Walk the two dogs together outside as much as you possibly can. I wouldn't encourage too much play between the dogs just yet, or until you feel that they are not avoiding eye contact and respecting one another calmly.

Lastly, english bulldogs are right on top of my list of the most STUBBORN breeds to train and work with. As long as you're up for the challenge, and it's a rewarding one but often a frustrating road, I say go for it!

Good luck.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old August 6th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey_ View Post
MacoMom,

Sounds like you've gotten a lot of helpful advice above. How are things going at this point? It sounds like you were pretty observant about how the inital greeting went, and to be honest, it didn't sound all negative to me.

I agree that it is important to ensure the new dog has a lot of boundaries and structure, especially because there may have been a lot of emotional stress/turmoil in his home prior to coming to you - as a result of a divorcing couple. Generally when I hear that an animal has come from a divorcing home, I prepare for a challenge because - as I'm sure you know - dogs feed off of our energy. Usually the animals are high-strung, anxious, and take a while to really trust their environment again.

From what you described was the initial meeting, I'm sensing a dog with some insecurity (bulldog) which again could be a result of being in a stressful environment for the past who-knows-how-long.

I agree 100% with BenMax. Walk the two dogs together outside as much as you possibly can. I wouldn't encourage too much play between the dogs just yet, or until you feel that they are not avoiding eye contact and respecting one another calmly.

Lastly, english bulldogs are right on top of my list of the most STUBBORN breeds to train and work with. As long as you're up for the challenge, and it's a rewarding one but often a frustrating road, I say go for it!

Good luck.
Great advice. Hey Bailey - we agree!
Old August 6th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
Great advice. Hey Bailey - we agree!
YES! Mark it on your calander lady!!

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old August 6th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey_ View Post
YES! Mark it on your calander lady!!
Done! So far 2 for 2 today..(oh I must be mellowing..)
Old August 6th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
Done! So far 2 for 2 today..(oh I must be mellowing..)
...or maybe I'm just sucking you into the daaark siiiideee....

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)