Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old September 26th, 2004, 02:50 PM
Meaghan Edwards

GSD Attack in St. Catherines

http://www.canada.com/national/natio...2-e8395e3d5e5d

Notice they aren't calling for a breed ban? Or that the moron owner wasn't charged?
Old September 26th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Senior Contributor

i dont understand why you think the owner should be charged, i think they should be responsible for medical bills but certainly not charged, even the officer said it was unusual behaviour for the animal, it was not a known killer and had never done such a thing before. something had gone wrong with the dog, there is no indication in the post about irrisponsible owners, abusive owners or morons ect. just that it was unusual behaviour for that dog. and if my GSD was in the same position i hope that someone would apply understanding and kindness to the situation and of the particular dog.

i can understand why they have not asked for a breed ban, it is one incedent and was again unusual for that animal.

would you like this breed banned??
Old September 26th, 2004, 04:48 PM
Meaghan Edwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanie
i dont understand why you think the owner should be charged, i think they should be responsible for medical bills but certainly not charged, even the officer said it was unusual behaviour for the animal, it was not a known killer and had never done such a thing before. something had gone wrong with the dog, there is no indication in the post about irrisponsible owners, abusive owners or morons ect. just that it was unusual behaviour for that dog. and if my GSD was in the same position i hope that someone would apply understanding and kindness to the situation and of the particular dog.

i can understand why they have not asked for a breed ban, it is one incedent and was again unusual for that animal.

would you like this breed banned??
Oh! Didn't see that bit about the unusual behavior. I certainly wouldn't want the GSD banned, they're one of my favorite breeds as a matter of fact.
Old September 26th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm sure no one wants to see any breed banned, but if this had been a pit bull doing this - even for the first time - I"m sure a hue and cry would go up to ban the breed (if they aren't already banned in St.Catharines.)

In fact, all sorts of breeds attack and even kill people, including children, but the only time the "Blame the breed and not the deed" takes place is if it's a pit bull.

There is a GSD down the street from me who puts up a truly frightening display of aggression every time anyone walks past the yard, but no one seems to think anything of this. If my pit bull were outside doing this, no doubt the army would be called in.

And I like GSDs too. In fact they were my 3rd breed of choice.
Old September 26th, 2004, 05:35 PM
Senior Contributor

LR, i totally understand what you are saying. my GSD is a good girl but i have seen plenty who arent.

i totally understand the sheer stupidity of the current trend to pick on pitbulls, it is stupid, poor babes. but i dont want other breeds touted as dangerous just to prove a point about all dogs having the potential to be bad. this could open up a whole big can of worms for other large breeds and defeat the point of saving the reputation of the pit whislt destroying the reps of other breeds..

the argument about the breed should be based on its kindness, real facts and cases other than the medias scare mongering, and its current very important role in our society. there are a million and one great pits out there and these dogs need to be focused on.

it is wrong and shocking that ppl can be so small minded to think that if they ban a breed it will solve their problems, dont they realise that the ppl who make these dogs bad will just get another breed to make bad or try and cross breed pits and gosh knows what we will end up with. oh its so simple minded it makes my head spin
Old September 26th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
if they ban a breed it will solve their problems, dont they realise that the ppl who make these dogs bad will just get another breed to make bad or try and cross breed pits
Right. It's too bad the powers-that-be don't have the intelligence to figure out that the type of brainless lowlife who made villians out of GSDs in the 1960s, Dobermans in the 1970s and pit bulls in the 80's will not be stopped by breed bans. Pretty simple to me too.

In fact, pathetic scumbags who can't feel like a "real man" without a bad-assed dog are already moving on to rarer breeds. I guess the day will come when any dog over 20lbs will be banned, because apparently no controls or bans can be put on stupid people.
Old September 26th, 2004, 10:31 PM
Meaghan Edwards

Very well put, you two. I'm very rabidly against any form of breed specific legislation. They're a legalized form of dictatorship and racism as far as I'm concerned, and they make things worse because they bring up along a false sense of security.

I'm a firm believer in punish the deed, not the breed. I wish the idiot politicians would get that

What I think really needs to be done is to crack down on people who keep churning out sickly and bad-tempered animals. Ultimately I think we'd see a much bigger reduction in bites from all dogs if these establishments were shut down than if these stupid breed-specific bans were put in place.

Apologies to melanie if she thought I was attacking her breed. I love them so much I wanted one as a child but my parents forbid me to adopt one because they used to think ALL GSDs/Rotts/Pits, etc, were vicious :/ They were brainwashed by the media, unfortunately, but I was able to educate them into thinking they're nowere near as bad as the news makes them out to be. They still didn't let me adopt one, but I get my GSD fix at the local shelter I volunteer for (I walk them, etc) -- they get so many lovelies there!
Old September 27th, 2004, 08:59 AM
Senior Contributor

That is too bad about the two boys and I am sure it was an accident. But Lucky is right if this would have been a pit it would have been all over the T.V. and radio and some big mouth politician would have been screaming how we need to ban these dogs right now. Which we all know is total nonsense. Punish the owner not the dog they are only doing what they were taught. When I was growing up it was Dobies that were the vicious breed that were suppose to attack everyone. Such garbage.
Old September 27th, 2004, 12:29 PM
~Cat Servent~

IF the dog had the capacity to jump the fence then why was he not tied in the yard on one of those post thingys you put in the ground?
Old September 27th, 2004, 02:43 PM
Senior Contributor

It's "unusual behaviour" for this GSD to jump the fence and attack to children, but it's normal behaviour for a pit bull and they should be banned. I just don't get it anymore.
I don't care if it's a dog or a human, it's discrimination and it's wrong. Why should this dog be treated as though it's done nothing??!!? When my pit bull DOES NOTHING wrong and she is labelled as demon spawn that's out to terriorize my whole building. What the heck is wrong with people!! I am completely exhausted from hearing about these vicious pit bulls, the ban, everything...blah blah blah...

What made you get one of those dogs?
You should get a muzzle for that dog.
That dog should be in this building.
Those dogs are a menious and should be banned.

Blah, blah, blah....
Old September 27th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Senior Contributor

I dont think any breed of dogs should ever be banned.Just bad owners...
Old September 28th, 2004, 02:27 PM
Meaghan Edwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidiho
I dont think any breed of dogs should ever be banned.Just bad owners...
Amen! They should be prohibited from owning any pet -- even a rock!
Old September 30th, 2004, 02:54 AM

Just like to add my two pence worth here I posted a thread last week entitled rugrats and dogs(general forum) and as a GSD owener really freaked at the yet again looks me and my dog got after the commotion.Luckily no damage done to the child because my girl is very even mannerd due to her confidence i think Having said that since the incedent I have spoken to our local dog warden and guess what she said ......Yorkshire Terriers are the worst for attacks Dont know if your familiar with the breed over there but here loads of little old ladys have them and I dont doubt get many hours of good company and pleasure from owening these small dogs but hey ! Ban them ! I dont think so ! lol !Oh by the way! I found out afterwards that the child had pulled my girls tail
Old October 3rd, 2004, 09:35 AM

Just as anFYI, this dog was KNOWN for its aggressive and anti social behaviour towards ppl (especially children) in the neighbourhood. The owners had been repeatedly asked (even by the father of the boy prior to the attack) to make sure the dog was secured. Ppl in the neighbourhood were afraid of this dog. The dog has gotten out of his enclosure before too. This is one of those cases I think (sadly) that the only option for this dog is to be PTS, or at the very least, to be muzzled when outside the house and for there to be something (a bigger fence etc) mandated to the owners.
Old October 4th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I saw two different reports - the paper first said it was very unusual for this dog - then the father of one child said the dog was known to be an "idiot dog" and scare the neighbours. Who knows the truth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriffmom
Just as anFYI, this dog was KNOWN for its aggressive and anti social behaviour towards ppl (especially children) in the neighbourhood.
Old October 4th, 2004, 03:19 PM
Senior Contributor

I really believe that you never get the whole story and we have to remember that when we read these things. I think people slant them to their view good or bad and you have to consider all the facts.
Old October 4th, 2004, 05:22 PM

I am a Medic in the area and the ambulance came out of my base. I am going on what the PD and medics said about the call, and the ppl who were witnesses (and neighbours). They (the PD and medics) said it was one of the worst attacks they have ever seen. The poor little guy.
Old October 4th, 2004, 05:36 PM
Senior Contributor

That is awful and I wasn't saying that I don't believe it but with all this BSL going on I am sure there are some that would slant a story just to prove their point.
Old October 5th, 2004, 09:40 AM
Senior Contributor

That's weird because the one that said it was very out of character was a cop at the scene.
Old October 5th, 2004, 11:36 AM

I guess it's the old adage of believe only 5% of what you read 1% of what you hear and 10% of what you see. The paper doesn't always take everything or print everything in context. Trust me, I've been to calls where the patient is completely fine, or maybe minor injuries, and the next day I read in the paper that the person is in "critical condition"! The media tends to like to sensationalize everything. I am not saying the cop didn't say that, as he might very well have, or he might have said something that was taken out of context.... in reality he might not have even been at the scene, but was designated media-man.... or he said it very early on before any type of investigation was conducted.... I don't know.
I only know what was relayed to me by some of the ppl who were on scene, and either way... whether the dog was agressive before, or that was the first time, some serious question need to be asked about this dog, and the owner. A dog, any dog, should not be jumping a fence and belining towards a child in full attack mode. Obviously this dog needs to have some strict guidelines imposed so as to minimize the chance he will ever be able to do this again. That little boy (and everyone else in the neighbourhood)deserves to be safe when walking in their neighbourhood, without fear that that dog is going to jump the fence again and attack.