Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Suggestions & Improvements

Old March 24th, 2008, 07:06 PM

Regional Forum

I was just wondering if there were ever any thought to starting regional forums?

The weather is starting to get a bit better and it might be a good way to get people and their pets together.

Plus it might help get the word out on any events in an area.

Thanks
Elizabeth, Tonka, Gizmo and Eddie
Old March 25th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

It's a VERY interesting suggestion.
Do you mean an events forum broken down by cities?

Thx

Marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old March 25th, 2008, 06:58 PM

I guess it could be used for that yeah.

I am a member of a car forum as well (www.neoncanada.com) and there is a forum for each different "chapters" you could say.

This forum seems quite large. It might help people in the area get together, and a better spot to post lost dogs/cats/pets.

Also, lets say I find a really good small independently owned pet store that I wanted to give kudos to, it would be better posted/directed to people in my area.

Plus, they have monitors for each area that handle their own area. Might make it a little easier for you Marko as this forum gets bigger.

(P.S. I am so happy I found this site - I am totally LOVING it)
Old March 25th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Not certain I am keen on this idea- have to really think on it. like the notion of meeting peple from across the country and the US and many people here live in very small areas (not cities) and I don't know, it would take something away from the measure of togetherness we feel. It is never wise to start dividing peple- I see it in NB (and yes I suppose some places in Quebec) along language lines and I have treated way too many people post war after ppl were divided along religious lines.

Part of the wonder of the internet for me is that it has made the world a smaller place and I suspect - speaking personally - that having regional forums might have an effect we did not anticipate. Also, since web sites attain advertising in a different way and it is in the best interests if businesses not to be mentioned here - unless they advertise - (the owners do have to make money so we can all chat here and give and get advice and share notions) , the highlighting of vets and businesses would not be a welcome addition. We sometimes do discuss a particular back yard breeder for example but it is mentioned in say emails to one another or in private messages - in large measure because the owners cannot be responsible for liability should anyone here make some spurious remark. So, I would worry about that. We do discuss some types of food or ideas for remedies (non medical ones since most of us are not vets!) but we usually are (I know I try to be) very cautious about that.

I will think about this though....but I am not sure I like where it might take us as a community. Of course, I am a very inclusive person so there you are...
Old March 25th, 2008, 07:59 PM

So then with the above being said how about for meet ups, and small local events.

I do hear what you are saying CyberKitten. As I said, I am new and not familiar with the community "togetherness" that the members have as of yet. I just thought with the nice weather coming and all the great off leash parks that have started popping up, and all the great dog events that are out there it would really help get the word out.

But also, getting together in person might help elevate the togetherness that you are talking about.

New comers could go to there regional area of the forum (lets say the GTA, or the golden horse shoe, or more wide spread by province) and plan to meet up with a few of the members. A new comer is not going to start pm'ing people right away to see if any dog walks have been planned.

And as I mention on another one of my posts, I am trying to socialize my dogs but don't know how many people in my area will see my plea (for lack of a better word) to meet up at the off leash park.

When I hit "new posts" there are three pages of new post just from the time I left work to the time I turned on my home computer. It would be much easier to look for meet-ups or events if all I had to do was click on my area.

I am not suggesting for the entire forum to be segregated, just a new little area.

Also this is purely a suggestion.
Old March 25th, 2008, 08:03 PM

Also

Also, next year my boyfriend and I are planing on taking the trailer and two of the three dogs for a two week trip to the Maritimes. It would be nice to pop a post on your regional area to ask questions about dog friendly places to visit. Not only would you get a chance to give some suggestions but everyone in your area as well.