Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old February 6th, 2009, 06:54 PM

bird cages

I've been looking for a huge bird cage (aviary/flight cage) for my cockatiel Samson. He's currently in the standard cockatiel cage that has an 18-inch square base and 22 inches high. I have 5 cats... so I can't let him out. I've tried taking his cage into this small room, closing the door, opening his cage and watching him. Once he does come out he sits on top of his cage, and I've nudged him to fly around but the first thing he does is go back into the cage and won't come out again. I feel soooo guilty. That's why I want a bigger cage - one where he can fly from one side to the other if he wants to. My question is, can anyone recommend a Canadian store that ships these cages.

Another related question - I've got two budgies, Lollipop and Popsicle, in two cages of similar size to the cockatiel. I'm thinking of having two sides cut out and the cages joined to make one big cage. Has anyone tried something like this? Easier to take the cages to a welder? It would probably take forever to cut through the sides with a hacksaw and dealing with the rough edges? And how to join the two cages? - with clips? Or should I just buy a huge aviary/flight cage and sell the two big budgie cages - and the cockatiel's cage?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks so much!!
Old February 6th, 2009, 07:08 PM

sorry - I shouldn't have asked if anyone knew of a Canadian business that shipped those big bird cages.
Old February 7th, 2009, 03:25 PM
-

I wouldn't cut the cages up before seeing if the two budgies will get along. They can be pretty nasty to each other sometimes when another bird is placed in the same cage.

As far as a bigger cage, if you look on Kijiji, often you can purchase a used cage at a reasonable price. My daughter bought one last year for her Cockatoo for $150.00, the same cage new would have easily cost $350.00.
Old February 8th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

If you're considering the big flight cage and putting the cockatiel and the budgies in together, I wouldn't do that. They're not likely to get along.
For flight time for the cockatiel, I put my girls in the basement or the master bedroom and then let my cockatiel go for his flight time.
If you're thinking the big flight cage, you're going to have the cats jumping at it too. One thing for them to hold back from jumping at a small cage up high, another thing if they start seeing the birds in flight.

Cindy
Old February 8th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Senior Contributor

do you have a spare closet? we once turned a closet into a flight cage, removed the door and put up a screen door, we nailed a huge branch to the floor and hung feeders from them, we paneled the inside walls....oh and put a pie dish (glass) on the floor for bathing, they loved it
Old February 9th, 2009, 11:40 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
If you're considering the big flight cage and putting the cockatiel and the budgies in together, I wouldn't do that. They're not likely to get along.

Cindy
I made that mistake a few years ago when we got "Lovey the Lovebird" - who by the way is as mean as they come When my daughter first brought her home from the shelter, I thought cool, she/he can go in with the cockatiels they have a big cage. Big Mistake - she terrorized the poor guys and after a week I took her out.

We have since got another Lovebird "Joey" and a couple of times I have had to give them a time out, out of the blue she will start picking on him and has even drawn blood. I think she has now learned the lesson, it has been over a year since I have separated them and she doesn't like it, but she is still very dominant with him.
Old August 6th, 2009, 07:47 AM

big bird cage

sorry it's taken so long to get back here to update. I checked all sorts of Canadian pet supply web sites, looking for really really big bird cages. Also checked ebay and kijiji with no luck - for what I wanted. Anyway, I found one in the US. Very expensive with $ exchange and broker fee and shipping but the cage is huge and while not perfect is 100 times better than what they had. It has a divider so the cockatiel is in one side and the two budgies who are now great pals, are in the other side. I'll try to post a picture. They're very happy in their new home and the cats have wide-screen entertainment. There are two who like to lounge on top of the cage, check out the action below. The birds don't seem to mind and go about their usual chattering. Thanks to everyone for their advice!