Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old April 29th, 2005, 03:25 PM

Puppy has strange way of pooping

I'm hoping someone else has experienced this and has some insight for me.

Our 6 month old puppy (Shih Tzu-Bichon) Muffy has a strange pooping style.

She has had this since the time we got her at 8 weeks. I thought she would grow out of it. She will poop a very firm healthy and normal poop, but then instead of running back to the house, she will keep moving all around trying to drop more and all that comes out is very thin, long and mostly running smaller poops. She doesn't seem to know when to stop. I dont' know if she is forcing more out or if she really thinks she needs to go more.

I asked our vet and he checked her out, but doesn't have a clue as to why she does this.

Once in a while when she drops her 1st good poop, we clap and say all done, good girl! Then turn around and run back in the house and she'll stop and follow us. Other times she'll ignore us and keep on trying to drop more.

I just don't know if she developed this out of habit and doesn't know how to stop.
Old April 29th, 2005, 03:48 PM

I taught my bog Boo "It's finished" just because he was afraid of diarrhea and would force and force and force (he was sick often). I don't know if you can do that...
Old April 29th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Senior Contributor

sam does the same thing, vet has given him a clean bill of health, so i figure its one of his quirks.

he also walks in a circle the whole time hes doing his thing, dunno if that helps him go or what.

I supect its frrom his previous owner who had him paper trained and he had to turn around while going to keep it all on the paper, but who knows

Eleni
"I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.'" - Fred Jungclaus
Old April 29th, 2005, 04:48 PM
<-----nut ball

my dog is like that too. 90% of the poop is super firm, but the last little bit he pushes out as he is walking away is all soft.
Old April 29th, 2005, 05:18 PM

I doggy-sit two large labs. They are what I call, "pooper-walkers". There is never a single "dump" but a trail of "nuggets" going on for a long as 10 feet. I thought this was because when the first one drops (very, very firmer poopers - crapy dog food, but not a topic I'm going to start with) it may have rolled and touched the back foot. Therefore to eliminate the poop touching their tootsies they keep moving. It makes for picking up a "connect the dots" experience. Would be interesting if the one lab just taught the other lab this bizarre behavior.
Old May 1st, 2005, 10:07 AM
Arf! Arf!

My inlaws' cocker spaniel did this. She had an infection in her anus. At first she would try to keep pooping. Later on she would drag her bum across the grass (bum wipe). Its a sign of a poor diet.

But if the vet gave your dog a clean bill of health...not sure.

My Alaskan Malamute Puppy's Homepage: [url]http://members.fortunecity.com/maximus7[/url]