Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old December 27th, 2003, 11:35 PM

Question chihuahua

please could someonbe tell me what the gestation period is for a chihuahua?
thank you,
[email]stra8up3@aol.com
Old December 28th, 2003, 07:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Do you have a pregnant chihuahua?

If you even have to ASK this question you have no business breeding anything. If she's not very far along take her to the vet, have her aborted and spayed. And don't allow any other animal in your care to breed, ever.

I've just about had it with idiots who ignorantly dump more puppies into an overburdened population.

Oops, was I rude again?
Old December 28th, 2003, 12:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Hehe..saved me some typing, Carina.

stra8tup, did you breed this dog deliberately? If so, and if you don't even know the gestation period of dogs, you are in trouble.

Chis - like other horribly extreme dogs - are not easy to breed, and you'll be lucky not to end up broke, and with only one puppy (or none) to show for it.
Old December 28th, 2003, 07:19 PM
Chocolate

Oh my!
Old December 28th, 2003, 08:00 PM

Unhappy yes, i have a pregnant chihuahua

And the breeding was deliberate. She looks to me as if she is very close to having them. I have 9 dogs, 1 horse (all but 1 are rescued). All but the chihuahua are of a large breed. At one time, I had temperarly boarded and cared for 20 chihuahuas and pomerainens that were "supposed to be fixed" for a rescue opperation. Then puppies started to appear. I know the gestation period for the larger breed is about 9 weeks. I am not sure if the breed of dog makes a difference or not.
I could not agree more, with the comment of over population and under cared for animals in our society. as a result, I have been actively involved with many animals in need for some years now.
Any support about our beloved "Wing Ding" (chihuahua)would be deeply appreciated. Thank you
Old December 28th, 2003, 08:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Chihuahuas are riddled with genetic health problems that make breeding them mostly disappointing and heartbreaking, but I'm sure you already know that.

You say YOU did this breeding deliberately? May I ask why? Is your Chi an outstanding example of the breed? Is she titled to a championship and health tested against all (many) defects this breed is prone to? Do you have a pic of her? My sister in law recently adopted a Chi and he is just adorable. Here he is

Sorry to seem nosey but I'm always curious about why people breed dogs, especially someone like you, who obviously knows of the serious problem of overpopulation of pets.
Old December 28th, 2003, 10:29 PM
Chocolate

ya... it's strange to read you rescue AND breed dogs?

Old December 28th, 2003, 10:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Interestingly enough, a friend's mother just got a Chi pup from a pet store, grrrr....

Anyhow I now know that luxating patellas, hypoglycemia, mitral valve disease, collapsing tracheas, cleft palates, hemophilia, and hydrocephaly are all genetically transmitted problems Chis can be prone to - although they don't have as many problems as some other toys it's not a great idea to unselectively breed and spread such problems to the gene pool.

I just googled "Chihuahua gestation" and without even opening a link I found the answer to your gestation question.
There is a whole wealth of information on Chihuahua pregnancy, whelping, puppy care, etc.
Let your fingers do the walking...

You could always just call your vet and ask too.
Old December 29th, 2003, 01:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Chi's are a hot topic in my house this weekend. Suffice it to say, relations with my mother are a bit tense right now.

I would certainly hope that since you have bred your bitch already, she has been checked for any genetic problems as was the male she was bred to.

I know several breeders that are very supportive of rescue workers and groups. I must admit, I don't know many people who devote time and energy into rescue and breed. The breeders I know are also very responsible and consider the puppies and puppy buyers their responsibility for the life of the dog.

I don't know anyone ethical who breeds a dog of any type without at least the minimum knowledge. I would think that length of gestation would be a bare minimum. Since you didn't check into that little tidbit, then we should probably think it is too much to ask that you are even aware that there are genetic problems within the breed that should have been tested for.

Don't worry. I am sure someone out there will rescue these pups one day.
Old December 29th, 2003, 03:22 AM

Question

Let me start out first with thanking all of you for all the knowledge you have giving me. I do apperciate it. . Now I will try to reply in order.
I did not know, nor have I ever heard anything about Chihuahua's having all or any of these problems. Had I known, I probally would have reconsidered breeding her. . When she was brought to me, she had been found on a busy highway, fourth of July, 2 years ago and with 2 large knots on her forehead. So, she may not be pure breed. Probally not since she is larger then most Chihuahuas. She is about 10 or 11 inches in height.
As for the breeding, it was "selective". My next door neighbor has a male Chihuahua they were more then willing to let him come over. As a matter of fact, I could not keep him away. He is the exact same color and he is a little bit smaller then the female.
Computers are also a new thing for me curious if the smaller breed dogs have the same gestation period as the larger breed. And after looking through a couple of books I have, I thought I could find the answer through the computer. In doing so I ended up here (which I am not really sure I am) lol. Due to the fact that my 21 year old daughter ran the phone bill up to over a thousand dollors the first month she moved back home. I can not call my vet (he is long distance). Since I still have not got an answer to my question, I will take your advise and see if I can't "google" myself as you did, and try to find the answer.
As to the question, "Why had I bred her deliberatly" As I had said before, I did not know there were such problems. When I was caring for the Chihuahuas, I had learned how much people were willing to pay for them. Even without papers. Even though she may not be purebred. Also they don't normally have more then 1 or 2 per liter. I can't count how many people who I have come across that want pupppies. In California they are in very high demand. People are willing to give them a good home and are willing to pay hundreds of dollors for one. Including the neighbor next door (though they won't be getting one from me). I had also thought it would be a nice experiance for my husband and I.
Ok, I do not "bred dogs". Years ago, I had bought at 8 weeks old 1 male then later 1 female, champion bred, purebred, papered dobermans. which I got 2 litters from and sold to good homes. I kept one (that was the one dog I have that was not rescued). The parents died years ago at age 9 of natural causes. The puppy I had kept is now 11 years old.
I do not get all these dogs because I wanted them. I just could not let them die or let them remain in the situation they were in. I bought one from a rescue organization, for a gaurd dog. They are all muts, but over the years I have come to love them and they are my family. Years ago, when I moved here I found the area very high in animal neglect, abuse, ect. More mis-use and abandonment. This is how I am invovled with the resue of animals and such. Even my purebred, 100% Egyptian blood, papered, Arabian mare was aquired. Through a non-profit rescue organization. In Caifornia there seems to be more of a problam with people being responsiable and or caring for an animal as a living thing and being dedicated to it for any long term ownership. Then there is a problem of over population. You see the organizations that I am familar with spay/nueter all the animals immediatly, and before they are placed in a new home. My animals are all fixed except for the doberman. Even the males and at my expense. Prople just don't seem to do that around here. The picture is quite a cute little dog. I noticed though he has not been fixed. I hope that he is watch ever so closely so that he won't (as males do) get out and get hit by a car. It happens so easily for the little ones. Sorry I don't have a picture of mine for you. Though just last night, a camera for computers was given to me. I just need to learn how to use it.
Thanks again for all your help and information.
Old December 29th, 2003, 04:34 AM
Senior Contributor

If she lives through delivery, please have her spayed. There are 85,620 dogs available through rescue groups and state run shelters listed on Petfinders.com. Of those, 1305 are chihuahuas. This number does not include shelters and organizations that do not use this method to advertise the animals they have for adoption or the classified section of this particular website.

Many years ago, my mom bred pomeranians. We never made any money at it. Mom's first bitch died in labor, one puppy died the next day and we kept two of them. The pup we did sell certainly didn't sell for enough money to pay the vet bill. Mom bred two bitches at once one time. Every single pup from both litters died.

I have a lovely rottweiler that I got from animal control. She has a marvelous temperment and I have been asked many times for a puppy. I have a 5 year old son who would love to see the miracle of birth and have several young puppies to play with. Chase does not meet the breed standard and has no papers so she was spayed.

The only ethical purpose to breed a dog is to improve the breed. And do the homework first. Know everything there is to know about the breed you want to breed.

Sorry to be rude, but I am a bit disgusted. You say that where you live people seem to be more irresponsible, abuse and neglect are common and there is an overpopulation of dogs. Then you state how much money people are willing to pay for chihuahuas. Those same people will abuse and neglect however many puppies you have to sell. And someone else will have to step in and take care of the problem.
Old December 29th, 2003, 07:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Well, what Sandi said.

Here's the website for the Chihuahua Club of America, lots of info:
http://www.chihuahuaclubofamerica.com/
Gestation is 9 weeks for all dogs, regardless of size.

Selectively breeding means the bloodlines of both dogs are known, back many generations - not that the two dogs are considered "cute" or "purebred" or even that you know which dog is the sire. Selective breeding means a vet has performed all necessary health tests, including in some cases DNA testing. I don't know what these tests are for Chihuahuas. For Rottweilers it's hips, elbows, eyes, SAS...maybe something else, I'm not sure. (I've never bred anything.) These tests and all the other costs that go along withbringing a good dog to potential ensure that selling litters of puppies are anything but a $$ making endeavor for someone who is just trying to better the breed.

It is generally accepted that the only ethical reason to breed a dog is to improve the breed - not for money, not because you know people who want one, not for any other reason. In that case, both parents are titled in conformation & also in working, if that is part of their heritage.

There are virtually no health risks for an intact male. If I ever get another Rottweiler puppy from working lines (instead of rescuing) I will probably not neuter him, at least until he's quite old. Because in some dogs, particularly if you want to work them, some drives are diminished by early neutering. I'm not worried one bit that I'll inadvertently let a dog escape to chase down a bitch in heat.

Female dogs on the other hand have a high risk of getting mammary cancer if left intact, and every heat increases that risk a bit. Not to mention the risks associated with pregnancy and whelping.

Since what's done is done and Wing Ding is hopefully going to have an uneventful birth very soon, I suggest we support stra8up3 in making sure mom & pups are fine. I'd also strongly suggest you educate yourself on what sort of things can go wrong with a birth, in case you need to intervene, since your vet isn't really available. If there's a breech birth, or the umbilical cord is around a pup's neck, or the dam doesn't want anything to do with the puppies...there's many ways they could fail to survive and you could help. Also educate yourself about care for the mom & babies while they're growing. I imagine if you type in "dog whelping care" or some such, you'll find plenty of info. There are many, many things that can go wrong, so the more knowlege you have, the better.

Then you can spay Wing Ding. Better yet, when you sell the puppies, require that the new owners do the same. Some vets will do pediatric spay/neuter, if you want you can get that done before the puppies leave your home. Many shelters are now doing this.

Do use your new camera to post a photo! And keep us updated on the progress.
Oh - here is the link for Google; it's one of the best search engines out there:
http://www.google.com/
Old December 29th, 2003, 12:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you for answering my question so honestly and explaining that you are an unethical backyard breeder of the VERY worst kind - breeding an unpapered rescue dog (who may even be a mix) merely to make money.

Shame on you. You really should know better. Do you know there are over 1300 abandoned Chis listed on Petfinder alone??

And by the way, don't count on profiting from this poor dog. Chis are notoriously hard to breed successfully,which you would have known if you bothered to find out, instead of concentrating on dollar signs dancing in your head.

The pic I posted of the Chi was taken right after he came into rescue - see, even if people will pay lots of money for these dogs, that does NOT stop them from abandoning them. He of course is now neutered, as no responsible person would breed an unpapered rescue dog of unknown history.

Please don't bother answering me and trying to justify exploiting dogs for profit. I've heard enough from you.
Old December 29th, 2003, 02:19 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I completely agree with LR on this!!

SHAME on you !! You SHOULD know better and the fact that you don't makes it all the more difficult for true RESCUE facilities.

Shaking my head!!

I normally have a good thing or two to say even about some of the worst posts but this one really ticks me off.

You're doing more harm then good!! Stick to your own dog, get her spayed IF she survives the delivery and get the pups done as an adoption fee before you let them go!!

Atleast TRY to make the BEST of this situation that you have created.

I'm wondering why you let your dog around so many strange dogs that could have infected her with God knows what type of illness let alone getting her pregnant.

http://www.ccrt.net/profile/index.html

http://www.chihuahuarescue.ca/profiles.html

http://www.chihuahuarescue.com/index2.htm

http://www.chihuahua-land.com/1puppies.htm

I assume you feel that YOUR new puppies arriving deserve homes and the ones already in shelter and foster care can wait right!!
Old December 29th, 2003, 03:52 PM

Topic Review (Newest First)

Stra8up3 As I said before, I do not “bred dogs.” and I find it a little insulting to be viewed as some sort of contributor to the neglect and abuse of animals. I am far from any thing like that. Alls that I can say is that you don’t know me at all. Since I see people have found the time to “help” me, I thought that I would do the same in return by writing and enlighten some of what my situation is. Well, that did not seem to matter. By the responses, I have to wonder if anyone has even really read what I wrote? They certainly did not understand what I said. My question has yet to be answered. Instead, I have read a lot of sightless criticism, accused of horrible things, assuming I am going to be the cause of harm and home less dogs. I don’t mean to be nosey, but may I ask you, what your age is? I mean I have to ask my self, what could be the reason for such ignorance? Why so much effort put into just being plain mean? over having a pregnant dog. Don’t get me wrong. I do not mean to sound as if to be making light of the wide spread, massive amount of senseless suffering of animals. I am on your side. But at the same time, the world is not so bad that the puppy or puppies (if there is 2), won’t have a good home. I can’t say that I share the same view as this statement “the only ethical purpose to breed a dog is to improve the breed” that doesn't even deserve a response. And, is it not true, that by the fact that I have gone through this, and having asked about the dog, isn’t that in itself, doing exactly what I have been accused of not doing? And would it not qualify equal to that of a “tid bit?” And yet, my knowledge of this breed's gestation period is still at the same "bare minimum" that it was the day that I asked. Though I am getting the impression that it must be the same as any other dog. No need to apologize for “being rude” I realize that it’s just a lack of understanding. Yes, I live in a neighborhood where, the standards for animals is much lower then mine. As you would had read in what I had wrote earlier about my neighbor (as nice as they are to people) they would not be getting any animals from me. They have a different view, value towards animals then I have. I can't say theirs is wrong, I can only say that it's not right for me. Let me repeat myself, and make it clear, that the places and the cases I have been involved in concerning animals in need, if there were a person to exist, that could be held accountable for the animal and then if for some reason the same person asked to buy an animal from me and if there was a time where I found my self in the situation of having one to sell, you may feel rest assured in that, such person would not be a candidate to own any animal under my authority. Also, I advertise out of the recycler and I have noticed there are always people wanting a little dog. I have learned a long time ago that people tend to take care for things that they pay a lot of money for. So with that and my good judgment of such, you may put your mind at easy by the fact that I will not be the cause of any homeless creatures. You know, I used to get so mad at all the people who would come to me when ever they had an animal that needed a vet I would rant at them telling them I am not a vet and if they can’t go to a vet they had no business owning the animal. You see, I did this until, one day I learned that in by doing such, would cause them not to bother me any more and as a result, not do anything for the animal at all when needed. Justify they haven’t the ability to. No matter what anyone could do, the world is always going to have people that are going to have animals and not care for them to our standards. And even though it may not be (in our opinion) right. I mean lets look at it logically, shall we? Realistically,people are going to be as they are and not what we want them to be or even should be. The best that you can hope for is to able to establish a relationship with a positive effect. If you really want to reach them.
People just do not do well for people who use negitive communication. Since I really do want to help the animals even more then the importance that everyone learns to share my view, I have learned that a positive approach when dealing with people, has a far more effect then by putting someone down and
making them feel inadequit. Instead I try to work and with them, and with respect, being careful never to become rude
or inconsiderate. Education not humiliation. With this I am able to help animals that would otherwise not have gotten it. This is exactly what I am doing now and is why I am taking the time to respond to you in hopes that I can make the differance with the kind of “help” you may be giving the next poor soul. I mean if this is truely your intention, to help any animal or anyone or anything you might wanna climb down off that ever so high horse yours and take a good honest look at yourself,what you read, and say and how you make others feel when your giving them a dose of your help, Because if I did not know better, I would have been Offended and not so kind. The fact of the matter is you have done nothing any good except tell me of all the dogs not having homes, over population. As if I am not well aware. I would think if this was a real concern to you, you would not be wasting so much time talking a lot of hula on the computer trying to look impressive for each other and instead you would be doing something about it. as I do like for instance the hard work. Well anyways best of luck with what ever it is that you do, and I hope that you take to heart, what I have said so that you may be of better use to the people you attempt to help in the future. And thanks again for your time
Old December 29th, 2003, 04:09 PM

again you have the facts wrong this was not for money nor does my dog have access to others
Old December 29th, 2003, 04:28 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

You are constantly contradicting yourself, are you aware of that.

There was absolutely no NEED for you to get your dog pregnant NONE!!!

Obviously you had this as an intention because you did not get her spayed, nor did you encourage your neighbour to have their dog neutered.

We read what you wrote, so we are understanding only what you portray to us.

What you are portraying is an irresponsible pet owner who is adding to the population of dogs. There are hundreds if not thousands of puppies and dogs contenent wide that need homes.

This was not a necessity was it? We just cannot comprehend why you did it, it makes no sense.

Most of us are animal activists to some extent, we shelter, foster, raise, care for and volunteer and work at shelters or the like. WE see the effects of what you are doing.

You may think you may find a good home for the pups, but you have no way of knowing 3/4 years down the road if they decide they don't want the dog anymore because (here are the common excuses)

#1 - marital / relationship break up
#2 - moving somewhere where they cant' take a pet
#3 - having children, no more time for dog
#4 - have children, scared dog will bite them
#5 - our lives are hectic now and we no longer have time
#6 - the dog is becoming too expensive, we can't keep it
#7 - job placement causing me to move and relocate out of country
#8 - got a new pet and they dont' get along
#9 - My new boyfriend/husband/wife/girlfriend is allergic
#10 - The dog is messing in the house, annoying the neighbours or too needy.

So say as much as you like about finding good homes, I see it ALL the time people surrendering their pets they have had for YEARS and YEARS!! For foolish insignificant things.

At one time, I had temperarly boarded and cared for 20 chihuahuas and pomerainens that were "supposed to be fixed" for a rescue opperation. Then puppies started to appear.

You didn't think of CHECKING and without knowing you allowed them to be mixed together?

I hope YOU are NOT educating people because you still need to be educated yourself. We have no high horses just high standards of what people should be doing that they are not.

Think of all the chi' pups that are already here on this earth needing homes NEEDING is key! You created a situation that was not necessary!

Then you go on to say you are not a breeder? BUT you bred your dog? You want to help and educate but you add to the problem?

Isn't this like the tobacco companies donating money to the Heart and Stroke and Lung Associations. Why can't u see that?
Old December 29th, 2003, 04:31 PM
Senior Contributor

"As I said before, I do not “bred dogs.” and I find it a little insulting to be viewed as some sort of contributor to the neglect and abuse of animals."
Well of course you are. You unselectively bred a dog. Res ipsa. This is Latin for "enough said."

"By the responses, I have to wonder if anyone has even really read what I wrote? They certainly did not understand what I said. My question has yet to be answered."
I answered it. Plus gave you a bunch of other info. Do you not read the responses??

"I don’t mean to be nosey, but may I ask you, what your age is?"
I will be 46 on Feb 11 2004.

"the only ethical purpose to breed a dog is to improve the breed” that doesn't even deserve a response. And, is it not true, that by the fact that I have gone through this, and having asked about the dog, isn’t that in itself, doing exactly what I have been accused of not doing?"
Not even close. Did you read ANY of what I posted? I took some time to research that for you, you know.

"I have learned that a positive approach when dealing with people.....Education not humiliation."
I was quite helpful. YOU have the choice th be educated, or to be humiliated. Nobody makes that choice for you.

"The fact of the matter is you have done nothing any good except tell me of all the dogs not having homes, over population. As if I am not well aware. I would think if this was a real concern to you, you would not be wasting so much time talking a lot of hula on the computer trying to look impressive for each other and instead you would be doing something about it."
I have never allowed any animal in my care to breed, that's a good start. In addition to "talking hula" on the computer, I have trapped, neutered & released feral cats, fostered dogs for a rescue agency, and taken in & treated/rehomed many many strays on my own dime. Other board regulars have done the same. I've also done years of active volunteering for human causes. And if you are aware of pet overpopulation - again, what on earth are you thinking by contributing directly to this!? I can't figure that one out.

You may not be doing it for money (what, then?) And your dog clearly does have access to others, unless you have figured out a way to get your female pregnant by remote control or something.
Old December 29th, 2003, 05:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
As I had said before, I did not know there were such problems. When I was caring for the Chihuahuas, I had learned how much people were willing to pay for them. Even without papers. Even though she may not be purebred. Also they don't normally have more then 1 or 2
As this is a quote from your own post, what would you like us to think?

The fact of the matter is this, with no education about the breed whatsoever, you bred your "maybe purebred" bitch to the persistant male next door. Because you knew that people would pay good money for them.

As for my age, I will be 40 shortly. That is irrelevant however. My 18 year old daughter knows more about breeding then you do. I also have a college education. What's your point?

According to every responsible breeder that I know, the only ethical purpose to breed a dog is to produce something better. Each breed has a standard, based on sometimes centuries of breeding and working. Go to any national breed club website and you will find a code of ethics. I am not sure what your ethics are since you are breeding a rescue dog for profit. No honest, moral person would breed a dog that has been rescued. Lord only knows it's background.

I am fairly certain that most people here have not said what they would like to say. You can get kicked off of some forums for that.

The gestation period is the same for your chi as any other breed.

Your right, I don't know you. Any judgements I have made are based on what you have written. You don't know me either, but I can tell you this about me, I have very little stomach for backyard breeders, or people who abuse and neglect their dogs.

Enough said.
Old December 29th, 2003, 05:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
No need to apologize for “being rude” I realize that it’s just a lack of understanding.
Don't worry, I didn't plan to apologize for telling you some facts. You know nothing about dogs, and are deliberately breeding an unpapered, untitled mutt - and don't even know what the gestation period is. All these Chis you had that starting breeding - can't you even tell if a male dog is neutered or not??? So I must ask - who is ignorant here?

And yes, I read what you said. The condensed version is "Wow, I see that people are paying lots of money for Chihuahuas, so I have a mongrel here that kind of looks like one and decided to make a few bucks from breeding her, even though I should have enough sense to know that what I am doing is unethical and reprehensible."

Does that sum it up?

You say you aren't breeding your dog for money (although how much people will pay for mutts is questionable) so why did you breed her? Did you know she may need a C-section? Guess you didn't know that either. Duh - don't you think it would be the mature thing to find out something about dogs before pumping out puppies for $$? How ignorant of you! Tsk tsk!

And my age is not relevant to this discussion, but I'll never see 39 again. How old are you? Certainly old enough to know better, I"ll wager. Please educate yourself before you say something else DUMB. Every time you post, you are making yourself look more and more ignorant.

Please read this list of the comparison of a Backyard Breeder and a Responsible breeder.

I bet I can tell you which category you are in - I'm psychic!

Responsible vs Backyard Breeders
Old December 29th, 2003, 05:17 PM
Senior Contributor

LR, that is an awesome link, I saved it. Thanks for posting it!
Old December 29th, 2003, 05:27 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Ya Great link LR
Old December 29th, 2003, 10:33 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG....Is this person for real?Guys I could not of said it better.I was going to put my 2 cents in,but I thought I would just leave it up to you.Plus I have a pretty bad potty mouth when something ticks me off.I would have been banned.LOL.
Old December 30th, 2003, 12:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Sadly, this person is all too real, and there are thousands of others just the same out there.

Someone has to keep the shelters in business, right?
Old December 30th, 2003, 02:33 AM
Senior Contributor

I just can't get over what she was saying.I just can't get over the "seletive"breeding part.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 07:08 PM

is any one from the edmonton area....

hi is any one from the edmonton area a professional breeder of chihuahuas(short hair or teacup i think)
Old April 7th, 2004, 09:16 AM

Stra8up3, I understand completely what you are trying to say. I almost fell into that trap myself, breeding. Puppies are so cute and cuddly; it's hard not to want to have some around. Then I did some research into Chihuahuas and found out about the genetic problems they are prone to and decided I don't really want that kind of responsibility. The thing that really got to me is that Chi's have large heads and are very hard to birth. Many of them require cessarian section births, which the mommy may or may not live through. I have stayed up nights with my little Chi when he was sick (he was brought to me, I didn't go looking for him) and don't want to get stuck bottle feeding puppies for six weeks. Since your dog is larger she might have had an easier birth process. I certainly hope so.

The pups have probably already been born, but to answer your first question, Chihuahua gestation is nine weeks, just like any other breed of dog.

I applaud you for your efforts with stray animals. Keep up the good work in that area. Please read everything you can find on the subject next time "baby fever" comes your way.
Old April 7th, 2004, 06:04 PM

She/he "rescuing" animals then breeding them for financial gain/because puppies are cute? I am not understanding what her/his ultimate goal is here. It seems redundant to save or rescue animals only to breed and help create more when the ones they are saving or rescuing should be indication enough that there is an animal overpopulation as people treat them as disposables.

All pets should be spayed or neutered period.
Old April 7th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by stra8up3
Let me start out first with thanking all of you for all the knowledge you have giving me. I do apperciate it. . Now I will try to reply in order.
I did not know, nor have I ever heard anything about Chihuahua's having all or any of these problems. Had I known, I probally would have reconsidered breeding her. . When she was brought to me, she had been found on a busy highway, fourth of July, 2 years ago and with 2 large knots on her forehead. So, she may not be pure breed. Probally not since she is larger then most Chihuahuas. She is about 10 or 11 inches in height.
As for the breeding, it was "selective". My next door neighbor has a male Chihuahua they were more then willing to let him come over. As a matter of fact, I could not keep him away. He is the exact same color and he is a little bit smaller then the female.
Computers are also a new thing for me curious if the smaller breed dogs have the same gestation period as the larger breed. And after looking through a couple of books I have, I thought I could find the answer through the computer. In doing so I ended up here (which I am not really sure I am) lol. Due to the fact that my 21 year old daughter ran the phone bill up to over a thousand dollors the first month she moved back home. I can not call my vet (he is long distance). Since I still have not got an answer to my question, I will take your advise and see if I can't "google" myself as you did, and try to find the answer.
As to the question, "Why had I bred her deliberatly" As I had said before, I did not know there were such problems. When I was caring for the Chihuahuas, I had learned how much people were willing to pay for them. Even without papers. Even though she may not be purebred. Also they don't normally have more then 1 or 2 per liter. I can't count how many people who I have come across that want pupppies. In California they are in very high demand. People are willing to give them a good home and are willing to pay hundreds of dollors for one. Including the neighbor next door (though they won't be getting one from me). I had also thought it would be a nice experiance for my husband and I.
Ok, I do not "bred dogs". Years ago, I had bought at 8 weeks old 1 male then later 1 female, champion bred, purebred, papered dobermans. which I got 2 litters from and sold to good homes. I kept one (that was the one dog I have that was not rescued). The parents died years ago at age 9 of natural causes. The puppy I had kept is now 11 years old.
I do not get all these dogs because I wanted them. I just could not let them die or let them remain in the situation they were in. I bought one from a rescue organization, for a gaurd dog. They are all muts, but over the years I have come to love them and they are my family. Years ago, when I moved here I found the area very high in animal neglect, abuse, ect. More mis-use and abandonment. This is how I am invovled with the resue of animals and such. Even my purebred, 100% Egyptian blood, papered, Arabian mare was aquired. Through a non-profit rescue organization. In Caifornia there seems to be more of a problam with people being responsiable and or caring for an animal as a living thing and being dedicated to it for any long term ownership. Then there is a problem of over population. You see the organizations that I am familar with spay/nueter all the animals immediatly, and before they are placed in a new home. My animals are all fixed except for the doberman. Even the males and at my expense. Prople just don't seem to do that around here. The picture is quite a cute little dog. I noticed though he has not been fixed. I hope that he is watch ever so closely so that he won't (as males do) get out and get hit by a car. It happens so easily for the little ones. Sorry I don't have a picture of mine for you. Though just last night, a camera for computers was given to me. I just need to learn how to use it.
Thanks again for all your help and information.

I know this is a little long to quote... but all I can say is oh my goodness, you are so very uneducated. This whole thing doesn't make sence, its kindof like your just dismissing yourself for something you've done. It all contradicts itself.
Old April 7th, 2004, 07:02 PM

OMG!! Are you for real? Or are you just posting to see how mad we'll get??!!!
If you're for real then Luba is totally right! You contradict yourself continually!!!
The phone bill was the reason wasn't it? Easy way to pay that off!
As for ignorance honey just from reading your posts your in the top ten!!

As for Cj Modisette! Are you kidding me? You actually believe her?