Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old March 14th, 2005, 08:54 PM

Question not handling pit bull law well

My dogs name is Hope and she is a pussy cat and very loving . She is a pitbull X , I think she is a cross with an American Staff. I got her from a rescue agency. Now with this new law I have to put a muzzle on her. She is going nuts, she hates it. Once I take her out with a muzzle on she is then known as a pit and everyone is watching her. She is super obedient and well trained. All she wants to do is play with other dogs and other dog owners shy away from her. I am moving into a new sub division in 6 weeks. I have no idea how to handle this. There is a school behind the house I am so afraid that she will be taken away. She is energetic and needs to run around how do I exercise her if she is leased and has a muzzle on? !!!!!! I am moving into a house with my brother who has 2 girls ages 6 and 10 and I know people will be watching Hope (my dog) with eagle eyes. Any suggestions on how to handle people who are totally ignorant about the breed and how to help Hope adjust to wearing a muzzle when she is out for a walk. Thanks for any input.
Old March 14th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Has she been spayed and chipped?

You can still exercise her on a leash.I would suggest getting a 30' training lead.This way she will still have lots of room to run around,and you will still be able to have her near you.

Yes,this law really sucks.But it does not come into full effect till spring or summer.What I have heard is August.So you will still have time to get her used to a muzzle.Just be thankful you do not have to put her down because of this law.Once this law does come into effect,and any pup born 90 days after will be put down.

As for getting her used to the muzzle,I'm sure others will be able to help you with that.
Old March 14th, 2005, 09:31 PM
cat slave

not too familiar with the ban...but are dog parks off limits for pitts as well??

and can't you take her for a bike ride with a leash on?? she'd still be able to run around.
Old March 15th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Senior Contributor

The bike ride is a good way to exercise your dog, but you have to be EXTRA careful that your dog is getting the necessary panting and breathing otherwise it will die by overheating itself.
What kind of muzzle are you using right now? The wire basket is the best muzzle for the dogs comfort and protection. The nylons ones that hold the mouth shut are potentially very dangerous when used for long periods of time.

The law does not come into effect until mid August - September. I haven't even looked at a muzzle yet. I know I should put that on my to do list so that she can be more adjusted to it by the time it's law, but I just can't bring myself to do it yet. :sad:

As for the 3o' leash, that won't work. According to the law, they MUST be kept on a 6' leash while in public. It's going to be very hard to make sure that our dogs are getting adequate running and play time, but the governement doesn't care about that. :sad:
Old March 15th, 2005, 09:35 AM

Post Thank you

Thank you for the information about the law and helpful hints. I really hate the look of the non mesh type of muzzle but if she will be able to breathe better with it then I guess I will have to get one. As for exercising her, that is a stupid part of the law, because any dog not exercised enough will become aggressive. I have been ill lately and could not take her for her usual morning romp, ( when no one is around) and when she played with my 20 year old son she was a little aggressive. She just had so much energy. I have no idea whether dog parks will allow pits in them. To one of the questions yes she is spayed and she has a tatoo in her ear. I am going to have to find the new law on line and read it again more carefully. Thank you all for the support.

Last edited by beni99; March 15th, 2005 at 09:38 AM.
Old March 15th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Dog Parks will be a no. They should be for pits already, simply because it helps add fuel to the hatred fire already. *If* your dog was challeneged and got into a fight in the dog park, she would finish it... guess who would be to blame...not the poor golden that was "just trying to play". Trust me. Dog parks are NOT the place for a pit bull, even if it's just to help try and save the image of these dogs...

I have seen fights between many dogs when we used to go there, she was only a puppy then - we stopped going at 8 - 9 months. I have seen many fights there, and nothing compares to a pit bull backed into a corner. And this is a VERY friendly dog that attacked another.

If anything, why would you want to put your dog in that situation anyway?
Old March 15th, 2005, 10:16 AM

dog park

I have never taken her to a dog park. But a neighbour who also has a pit took hers to a dog park regularly. My dog is a very social dog and the only time I have seen her play rough is with another pit. She loves to be chased. I have had many dogs through out my life from a Great Dane at the age of 2, to labs, a malamute husky crossed with a wolf, and many others. Most of them were mixed breeds. I have helped to birth one of my dogs pups, I am great with animals. I just don't have a ton of experience with pits. I had an older pit from a rescue agency but he died within 10 months from cancer. Hope is 3 or 4 this year we are not exactly sure. The only difference I find is that she growls more when you are playing with her (my sons not me) as soon as she starts that I stop the "play time". The discussions about pit bulls can get pretty heated. I was asking for assistance so that my dog is not a target in my new neighbourhood. I am already getting people approaching me and asking what breed she is and told to put a muzzle on her. I would like to be able to show that I am a good owner and that she is a good dog, like most pit bulls. I want to avoid problems in the future. Thank you for taking the time to post.
Old March 15th, 2005, 10:23 AM
Senior Contributor

I wasn't meaning to say that you were a bad owner. I'm sorry.

I know it's difficult to be a pit bull owner right now. You need to have a strong back bone and be confident that you KNOW what you can and can't do with your dog with this law. People that don't know you from a hole in the ground will tell you what you have to do, yet most don't even realize what the law entails, not to mention what the heck they are talking about.

I encourage you to read up on the law -- there are TONS of posts here that have the entire law posted and linked. When you have more education about what they are asking you will feel more confident when you're confronted by a "know it all". You are not legally required to muzzle your dog yet, no matter what people say to you, or about you!

I hope that you will stick around and learn more about pits! They are wonderful, loving and crazy clowns!

BTW, your dog growling is a common reaction while playing; ours does too, ALOT! People are sometimes intimidated because they don't understand and think that she is trying to attack; that's not the case. They just play, and some dogs are more vocal then others.
Old March 15th, 2005, 10:27 AM

Thumbs up Thanks

Thank you for your reply. I am going over the law. I appreciate you helping me realize that I have to have more back bone over this. Also I appreciate knowing that her growling is not a problem. It just sounds scary. I will be sticking around. I appreciate your help.
Old March 16th, 2005, 11:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh shoot sammie,I forgot about the 6' leash thing.......
Old March 17th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Senior member - formerly Lezzerpezzer

not handling pb law

My 2 cents worth: If you introduce your dog to the muzzle SLOWLY and gradually, she will become used to it by the time the law comes into effect. If you purchase a muzzle, instructions should be included as to how to do this correctly so as not to stress out you or the dog! There have been postings recently on this site about how to do this properly and safely. Go to search and type in "muzzle" and you will see one from about a month ago that gives a website(?) with excellent instructions on how to go about getting your dog to accept wearing a muzzle on a day to day basis. Good luck and know that many people are on your side and feel your anguish.
Old March 17th, 2005, 09:38 AM
Senior member - formerly Lezzerpezzer

muzzle info

Here is the website I extracted from the posting on muzzle use:

http://www.cal.net/~pamgreen/muzzle_it.html
Old March 29th, 2005, 11:29 AM

I recently found a tennis court nearby my home, that has 15' steel fencing around it and a gate. The is the perfect place to let Kayla (my pitbull) lose to run around. I lock the gate so no one can get in, and I take the muzzle off and away she goes. When she has tired herself out a little, I then do some training with her. Occasionally, a local with a large German Sheppard asks to come in with us, and I have let them. She plays well with this dog and shows no signs of aggression with him. Am I setting myself up for trouble?

Kayla and Me
Old March 29th, 2005, 12:14 PM

Kayla, yes you are.The tennis court is still public property,if private then your tresspassing.
If you let this happen before to long there will be a pack of dogs playing and you can't control what may happen.
Ask if you can book the court for 1/2 or 1 hour.it's yours and you can say 'no' and not have an argument.
I would take my guys out to the soccer fields after 11pm when nobody is around and I don't see anybody.Sometimes others may show up, I just leave.
I want no problems,just happy dogs
What part of Toronto are you in?
Old March 29th, 2005, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegShawnMom
Kayla, yes you are.The tennis court is still public property,if private then your tresspassing.
If you let this happen before to long there will be a pack of dogs playing and you can't control what may happen.
Ask if you can book the court for 1/2 or 1 hour.it's yours and you can say 'no' and not have an argument.
I would take my guys out to the soccer fields after 11pm when nobody is around and I don't see anybody.Sometimes others may show up, I just leave.
I want no problems,just happy dogs
What part of Toronto are you in?
I am in the Greenwood and Queen area of town. I don't know who owns/maintains the tennis courts. There does not seem to be anything posted, which could mean they are owned by the city. They are public courts to the best of my knowledge. I was recommended to go there with Kayla by a group of dog owners in my area. They said they all take their dogs down there. So far, we have only encountered the German Sheppard, but I can see you have a very valid point. It's tough to give her a good run any other way though.
Old March 29th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

try this

http://www.petedge.com/shopping/prod...ProductID=1340
Old March 29th, 2005, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMDLuver

Looks ok, but how long can they wear it?
Old March 29th, 2005, 01:51 PM
banned user

My heart is breaking here. I was here when the idea of the ban/muzzling first came up, and kept up on the threads by the pit owners, read the proposed law (at the time), etc. I thought I was sad, scared and frustrated for you all then.

But that's nothing compared to how I feel now.

I'm so sorry that you all are going through this. I can only imagine putting myself in your shoes, being told that I had to muzzle Raj or Chloe, put them on a short leash, try to find a way to run them,....

You poor people
And your poor babies :sad:

This just seems so.....archaic, somehow. It's like your pups are wearing a scarlet letter simply for being what they are.
Old March 29th, 2005, 04:59 PM

Yes, that is city property.If you don't use a muzzle even inside the court with the gate closed you would be in violation.
If another dog joins in and somebody gets hurt,you would be liable because of your breed of dog.
Old March 29th, 2005, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Flower
My heart is breaking here. I was here when the idea of the ban/muzzling first came up, and kept up on the threads by the pit owners, read the proposed law (at the time), etc. I thought I was sad, scared and frustrated for you all then.

But that's nothing compared to how I feel now.

I'm so sorry that you all are going through this. I can only imagine putting myself in your shoes, being told that I had to muzzle Raj or Chloe, put them on a short leash, try to find a way to run them,....

You poor people
And your poor babies :sad:

This just seems so.....archaic, somehow. It's like your pups are wearing a scarlet letter simply for being what they are.
No kidding! I took Kayla this afternoon to the local park, muzzled and on the short leash. There were a group of 6 dogs there with their owners. We weren't even near them. A golden retriever bounded up to Kayla, she did nothing...wagged her tail and was doing the kiss thing. The next dog was a lab and she immediately attacked Kayla who of course couldn't fight back. All she could do was lunge at her and try to shake the dog off her. The owner grabbed her dog and held her. I said..."Look...lets take some time here to introduce the dogs to each other, so that they won't be so aggressive." I said, "my dog is in more danger of your dogs than visa versa". You would not believe the responses I got. "The muzzle may come off and she will attack my dog" (this came from the owner of the dog that attacked Kayla), "I just got my taxes done and I can't afford and vet bills right now"..etc etc...They made it quite clear that Kayla and I were not welcome in the park when their dogs were there. This park btw, is right behind my house, so you can imagine how upset Kayla gets when she can't go out to play with them, but they are 20 feet away from her property. When are people going to wake up and realize that the problem is not the dogs, it's them! How do they expect Pitbulls to socialize with other dogs, if they won't let them near them?

BTW....Kayla was put through the Humane Society socialization testing for adults, children and other animals, and she passed with flying colours. I wonder if their dogs could go through the same test in that environment (without their owners) and pass with flying colours??

Kayla and Me
Old March 29th, 2005, 05:18 PM
banned user

OMG !!!!!

That's crazy!!!!! I wonder if other dogs can sense a muzzled dog's vulnerability ?? The fact that they can't defend themselves needs to be brought up to the powers that be!! How is that fair???
Old March 29th, 2005, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMDLuver
How do they pant?
Old March 29th, 2005, 05:36 PM

Quote:
OMG !!!!!

That's crazy!!!!! I wonder if other dogs can sense a muzzled dog's vulnerability ?? The fact that they can't defend themselves needs to be brought up to the powers that be!! How is that fair???
Good point! And it isn't fair. First of all, they are letting their dogs run in a public park without leashes, and not in a designated off-leash area. And as was demonstrated...not all their dogs are completely social.
Old March 29th, 2005, 05:46 PM
banned user

I remember as a teenager, working at a dog grooming salon....there was this schnauzer that had to be muzzled when he was being groomed. It was a full muzzle, made of leather, that covered the entire snout.
I was watching my manager groom this dog, and he was snapping and snarling so much under the muzzle that he gave himself a bloody nose....blood was everywhere, and looked like so much more because it was mixed with the water. I burst into tears, I felt so bad for the dog- and quit my job! I told her I'm not cut out for that kind of work (lol, I was 13, and this was hugely traumatic to me).
Old March 29th, 2005, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I remember as a teenager, working at a dog grooming salon....there was this schnauzer that had to be muzzled when he was being groomed. It was a full muzzle, made of leather, that covered the entire snout.
I was watching my manager groom this dog, and he was snapping and snarling so much under the muzzle that he gave himself a bloody nose....blood was everywhere, and looked like so much more because it was mixed with the water. I burst into tears, I felt so bad for the dog- and quit my job! I told her I'm not cut out for that kind of work (lol, I was 13, and this was hugely traumatic to me).
My son also owns a pitbull and he has the same kind of problem. Whenever he puts the muzzle on the dog...she goes beserk! She turns nasty. It upsets her so much that the dog injured herself one time trying to get it off. As soon as he takes it off, she's as calm as can be. He's gonna have a really hard time when the law is in full force.
Old March 30th, 2005, 07:36 PM

This is the issue I have with muzzling perfectly well behaved dogs that are NOT accustomed to wearing it.
You end up with a dog that feels vulnerable, and you bring out fear aggression issues. Nevermind that 'other owners' feel it's fine to allow their maltrained dog to run roughshod all over the poor muzzled dog, and then complain about how 'aggressive' it is.... (kinda like tying a girl to a tree to steal a kiss??) such stupidity!
It makes me sick thinking about all those wonderful dogs that are going to develop problems because of the Liberal idiots in charge... they railroaded this damn thing through, and totally ignored all the intelligent information presented to them.
Old March 30th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Im so worried about this that I feel physiclly il lwhen I think about it. I know I should be getting him used to a muzzle now, but I dont want to get one online, I like to see what Im buying especially because it will be so important that it fits correctly. Im assuming I will do the Cage thing as from what I understand so far it is the safest. With this in mind I have been getting Rocky used to going roller blading with me. He didnt particularlylike it before but I cant think of another way to get him enough exercise. Ilive in an apartment and he has been KONG CRAZY all his life, lots of parks around me were he willnot be welcome. I do sneak into a fenced yard owned by the city at present! Back to the muzzle though, he wa so upset by the gentle leader and the halti that I cant even imagine doing this!