Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 12th, 2009, 07:31 PM
WOOOOF!

Jealousy?

My dog Adam has an issue that I'm not sure how to resolve.

We were just at the dog park (and he does this a lot) and we had all 3 dogs with us. A dog showed up to play, and whenever one of our other 2 dogs was playing with the other dog he would bark at the dog. I'm pretty sure this is a jealousy thing. He does things like this at home aswell. If me or my husband are loving one of the other dogs he will sometimes come up and try and nudge himself in the way of the pets. Does anyone know how to get him to stop being so jealous?

Akira: Boss lady.
Adam: 110 pound lapdog.
Maximus: Shy guy, but will lick your face off.
Kitty: "PET MEEEEE"
Tig: Chillen.
Old October 12th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Doggie Wench

At the dog park, he would bark aggressively or just plain bark? Simple barking is pretty usual when dogs are playing.

When he butts in while you're giving attention to another dog, tell him to sit and stay for a minute or two, then reward him with attention soon afterwords if he's successful.
Old October 12th, 2009, 08:53 PM
WOOOOF!

It's agressive. It's like hes saying NO! play with ME! He growls and pushes the dogs over somtimes.

Old October 13th, 2009, 12:05 PM
WOOOOF!

Really? No advice?

Old October 13th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Doggie Wench

Aggressive at the dog park, or at home when you're giving others attention?

Akira, is there any way you can video tape this for us? Both instances?

Dogs often growl, bark, nip, chase, mount, etc when playing and it could look and sound awfully scary if you don't know how to read body language to confirm this for you.

In the case of the dog park, if your dog was really feeling threatened by the new dog, he wouldn't just bark at it and push it over. He'd most likely start by posturing...standing still and sideways between the new dog and the others, perhaps with his lips drawn forward and his nose wrinkled up, with or without a growl. He may place his head over the other dog's shoulders. His body posture and tail would be stiff and he may lean slightly forward on his toes. If the other dog does not back away, he may very well snap the air in front of him or even bite the other dog on the muzzle.

How do other dogs (not your own) react when he's behaving the way you described at the dog park?
Old October 13th, 2009, 01:17 PM
WOOOOF!

He does all that stuff you just mentioned, and usualy the other dogs cower, or they get into a bit of a scuffle. But it's weird because he's not like this with all dogs, he loves collies, and labs, and quicl high energy dogs. But hes not so big on GSD's or some big bully breeds. He especialy doesn't like dogs that aren't neutered. The other day we would not stop barking and nipping and doing that thing where he stands really tall to this female english mastiff, i'm pretty sure she wasn't spayed too. I don't understand why he would do this to a female?

Old October 13th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Doggie Wench

Just like not all people get along with everyone they meet, dogs are the same. Our male will never tolerate another un neutered male near his pack. He also won't tolerate unruly dogs playing too rough with his "girls" nor will he allow the girls to play too rough with young puppies. Are your other dogs all girls by any chance?

Perhaps your dog doesn't feel that his pack is safe around some of these other dogs that you come across. Or he's just warning them to play "nice."

How's his recall? You can practice til perfect so that you can prevent a fight about to happen. I have issues with public dog parks as not all dogs know how to meet/greet/play appropriately and it's pretty much well an accident waiting to happen in some cases.

Is there a place (a friend's yard perhaps) that you can set up playdates with dogs you know yours get along with?
Old October 13th, 2009, 02:01 PM
WOOOOF!

We don't really like dog parks either, most people don't have very good control over their pets, plus it's easy for them to pick up diseases and stuff. We only go at night time, around 8 or 9 pm cause usualy know one shows up. We just go say they can run around in a big fenced in area, and our hound loves to sniff all the scents that are there. We don't know a lot of people with dogs around here, and the one friend we have that has 2 dogs, one of them was never socialized so doesn't get along with any dogs other then the one it lives with.

We have 1 female and 2 males. The other male is only 8 months old, Adam and him absolutely loove eachother, so he could be being protective of him. I think your right about that, cause even when we go to see the friend i was just just mentionings dog, if it gets playin rough with the puppy, adam gets upset.

His recall is pretty good, i'll get him to sit and tell him to be play nice and be quiet and it will last for a little bit and then he does it again. I think we will try and work on that a little more.

Thanks for your help LP, all I really needed was to identify why he was acting like this. And I think you've hit it spot on.