Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 2nd, 2014, 05:39 PM

Well it’s been a tough week but I did get some answers.

She had multiple blood/urine tests and an x-ray. To make a long story short the tests came back with anemia, liver disfunction and an enlarged heart. I won’t be able to have a scope performed as Syd is too high of risk for the procedure so we don’t know if she has cancer. She has had all tick/heartworm tests and all those were fine. The green fur appears to be external ( tests didn’t determine the cause), not sure what it is but I guess something in her urine might be the cause.

She had liver issues a couple years ago, changing the diet brought levels back to normal and now they are elevated again. To combat this we started her on Zentonil so we’ll see how it goes.

The good news is that she is hasn’t had a nosebleed for 5 days and seems perfectly healthy at the moment. All I can ask for is that she is comfortable and happy.

Thanks again for all your suggestions and support, it’s greatly appreciated.
Old October 4th, 2014, 02:24 PM

Sorry you didn't really get any definitive answers but glad she seems happy and is not showing any trouble with the nose bleeds.

Did they just recently perform the tick testing? We were told Timber tested negative but that was back in May before she was exposed to the illness in October so they never re-tested her and in our case, that is how she was misdiagnosed. Lyme is not associated with anemia but anaplasmosis can be as well as some of the more uncommon diseases in Canada like bartonella. As Timber was also anemic and had low blood platelets and a slightly enlarged spleen, we were told she probably had cancer when she actually had a tick disease so that's why I ask.

I imagine they don't want to put her under for the scope due to the enlarged heart. Does she seem stuffy sounding or have mucous coming from the nose?

Timber also has elevated liver enzymes but apparently for her age (14) the numbers do not suggest liver disease but they have been slowly creeping up over the years. The holistic vet here suggested milk thistle so that is what I am trying with her but perhaps your liver issues are more elevated.
Old October 4th, 2014, 06:33 PM

The tick testing was only back in July when she did the heart worm testing. I don't think this is tick related as she really doesn't have any signs of rash, fatigue, nausea, loss of energy or any other symptoms. Her liver is not too bad, I'll try to add some milk thistle thou, I have some here.

Still no nose bleeds which is good, no stuffy sounds or mucous so crossing my fingers it stops for a while.
Old October 4th, 2014, 08:42 PM

It would be difficult to detect a rash with all the fur. Just keep an eye on the nose bleeds and any worsening of symptoms. If she becomes lame or seems lethargic I would do the tick testing for sure.

Disease outbreaks coincide with the emergence of ticks in the early spring and summer and again in the fall which you may not have caught in your July test.

The anemia and nosebleeds are what really sticks out. I know it can also be symptoms of other issues but if you do notice a relapse, just keep the tick test in mind. The low blood platelets I believe are cyclic with the anaplasmosis so if she did have it you might see blood platelets sometimes high and then low.

Good luck with everything and hope she continues to feel well.
Old October 5th, 2014, 03:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Personally, I would treat with doxy and see if there is a response. The symptoms are all there, the testing is very imprecise.
Old October 23rd, 2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypwr View Post
My ten year old Siberian Husky has been having nose bleeds from his right nostril for a few weeks off and on. We took him in to the vet at the beginning and the ex-rays didn't reveal anything suspicious, and the blood work didn't show an elevation suggesting an infection, and we got antibiotics.

We thought they were slowly getting better. Well, a week later he had a bad bleed. The were some pools of blood on the carpet, splattering all over the flood and wall, and mixed in were several blood clots. I rushed him to the vet, and they did another ex-ray and blood work, nothing. But, our vet gave us a different antibiotic, and a steroid for inflammation. She thought he possibly sniffed something up and it got stuck in his nose. We went 11 days, and this Thursday he had two small nose bleeds.

Our vet is at a loss. He has no other obvious systems, he’s eating normally, happy, thrilled when someone comes over to visit, and still a great temperament with our kids.

Any ideas, or anyone else go through this????
Hi There,

My 14 year old dog had something simular happen to him. Since August his nose had been bleeding. Sometimes it would bleed extremely bad, other times just a litle. Two weeks ago it was so bad that I thought I was going to lose him. We tried everything from antibiotics to allergy pills. My vet then finally suggested giving him Yunnan Baiyao. I found this in a Chinese store. His nose slowly stopped bleeding and it has been a week today with absolutely no blood at all. He is back to his old self.Hopefully it will last. Maybe this can help your dog.