Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 29th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

Slab Fracture

I posted awhile back about my dog's cracked tooth. The vet that looked at it said it did not need to be extracted unless infection set in.

Well it has been many worried days since then and we had a vet check up today for a snotty nose and full blood panel. So in the middle of the check up I said I was worried that the sudden snotty nose and non stop sneezing.......plus the gasping for air may have been brought on by the cracked tooth. All i had was infection on my mind.

This vet, she is the new fresh out of school vet at my clinic.....took a peek inside Zoe's mouth at the cracked tooth and pressed on it and the peice that was split off from the tooth , she called it a slab fracture, came apart from the gum and was able to be removed by just yanking it.

The tooth underneath is white with no visible signs of problems, the only thing the vet said was the peice that came off is the enamel... the vet said to keep brushing her teeth and all should be well. The gum around the tooth is a little bit red, but not enough to concern the vet. Said that should clear up because obviously the peice of tooth was ready to come off.

My question is that if the enamel is gone, should this tooth be removed? I don't know if I am just humanizing too much here......I know tooth pain and how awful it is.....if her enamel is gone won't her tooth be exposed?? Or am I confusing it with a live root being exposed?

As for our inital reason going to the vet.....everything is fine in the heart,lung and temperature part. Ears and eyes too. I have to wait until friday for the blood test results........and then if no clue we do a round of anti botics next week and if then she still has snotty nose and trouble breathing then we do allergy testing.
3+ cats......Surround sound
Old April 29th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I remember your post from before. You know I think I would agree on this one being just left for now.

If the root was exposed I would absolutely do something. I dont know if you have ever had a root canal yourself? I have had a couple and they are painful if not treated. Basically it seems to me that would be the same in a dog?? When the root is exposed for us it is very sensitive to hot or cold or crunching so oooh I am not expert but I think it would hurt.

I hope the test comes back with good results.! maybe its just an allergy or the spring air....

Werent you fostering some pups not long ago? maybe I am thinking of another poster??? hmm not sure now??
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old April 29th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

Thanks Winston.

I have never had a root canal before but I have had my front teeth worked on numerous times because I smashed the bottoms of them off on a window. If I didn't use a toothpaste for sensitivity I could not eat or drink because none of the repair work stayed put. Going from my experience I was worried......Zoe's tooth is a molar in the back on the right side....second molar from the back.

She does all her chewing on that.......since it was first seen by a vet (who knows how long before that) she does all her chewing on that side. Bones, food, treats, toys........so I just sat back and watched. When I saw the chunk of tooth come out today......well half her molar was sitting on the vet table.

I still have infection on the mind.........sorry but I always prepare for the worse kind of thing......she is not herself.....half the stamina, still eating but drinking more than usual. I told the vet that, oh we have some diarrhea....vet knows that too. But her physical exam was perfect..........friday seems too long for me........just needed to bounce some stuff off people

Oh and no fostering here.............I would love too but my situation right now limits me. One day hopefully
Old April 29th, 2009, 08:36 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

DCH, Cass had a cracked tooth when we got her. She always chewed on that side and eventually the molar broke off. As I recall it looked sort of like what you're describing, right down to the slightly inflamed gums. Our vet also said to just watch it.

Afterward, she was always chewing sticks and branches on that side and if we gave her rawhide, she'd work it on that side of her mouth exclusively. All that time, the root was evidently resorbing, because one day, when I was brushing her teeth, I saw that the remnant of the tooth had fallen out! Didn't seem to bother her at all and it healed up beautifully.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 29th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

Thanks Hazelrunpack........I have to stop and remind myself that if it was hurting her she wouldn't do it. Sometimes I wonder because she does questionable stuff occasionally. She is just a little on the grumpy side....and my worry monitor is full tilt. Easy to try and blame it on something you know than worry about something you don't. Hopefully friday's bloodwork will give us some answers. If not then the allergy testing.....I hate waiting .

oh and on a side note, I had to get nose drops for her, over the counter pediatrician nose drops......the vet said hopefully it would lubricate the nose enough that when she got on a sneezing fit it would just blow the whole mess out of her sinuses. I have tried three times tonight to put nose drops in and all i have done is scared her. Vet didn't tell me the trick to get it done...I will call tomorrow but will gladly accept any hints or tricks for those that have done it
Old April 29th, 2009, 11:03 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oooo...no help from here, DCH! I've never had to administer nose drops.

Do you use a dropper or is it a saline spray?

Could she have picked up a mild case of kennel cough somewhere? We've had the occasional bout of KC that manifested as a snotty nose with sneezing.

Poor Zoe! Give her some extra hugs and pats from hazel, k? Just to make up for mean ol' mommy with the dropper

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."