Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old May 27th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Chow Pei Rescue

Listen, not every dog who has hard stools is going to end up impacted, some certainly could, and certainly others will not, but irregardless, a raw regime isn't about a clean yard, and less stool to clean up, it's about quality nutrition.

Say what you want, if the stools are overtly hard then you are not offering your dog as much quality nutrition as you could be, and it is, "The General indicator", that you need to add more meat to the diet, and no, straining is not a natural tendency, I don't know where you heard that from. Just having roughage pass down the colon is enough to stimulate the anal glands, it certainly doesn't have to be due to hard stools which, if occured every day, would be an anomaly.

Do you strain every time you go to the bathroom? Would you consider that normal if you did? Would you base your own eating habits on you having to run to the bathroom less each day so that you use less toilet paper? - because that seems to be what you are saying here.

I tend to disagree with you whole heatedly if that's what you're saying, but naturally that's my own prerogative. Stools should be firm, but not hard and dry day in and day out..

Cheers
MM

Last edited by MerlinsHope; May 28th, 2009 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old May 27th, 2009, 11:53 PM

I am new:) and feeding prey model raw

Great thread - Glad to be here.

First I started with the raw medalions and her poop turned scary white and looked like it was almost encased in some sort of clear rubber or wrapping or mucus.

Got scared

Started raw Prey model - meaty bones meaty meat - slowly starting with organs and just ordered tripe. So I am all in here---

Here pools have been a lovely golden color odorles, and a bit crumbly--some one gave her a cookie yesterday and she had a diareah today--I am very much again wheat germ or what ever thing they used.

So is this golden mean to much bone? Do I need more meaty meat to get it browner?

some on sliped in a patty the other day two and she has a white poo

I am off patty's for good now and not letting anyone give her anything I don't want her to have

I love this deit for her--she loves it--even eats her organ meat with no problem and ate fish when she saw she had no choice. she just loves chicken thighs and goat bones etc.

I know this is LONG--- thanks for reading and all comments welcome and looked forword to.

Mel
Old May 28th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Chow Pei Rescue

Hey PuppiePie

I'm happy to hear you got off the commercial raw. I hope that many people read your post and digest, ( pardon the pun), what you are saying.

Generally speaking without getting gross, feces should be a varying range of browns. Not white..... and golden means borderline too much bone....... and certainly any signs of straining should be taken seriously enough to indicate that more water is needed in the gut and more meat is needed in the diet.'''

I'm always excited when I hear about someone making the 'switch'

Cheers and best of luck
MM
Old May 28th, 2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypie View Post
Great thread - Glad to be here.

First I started with the raw medalions and her poop turned scary white and looked like it was almost encased in some sort of clear rubber or wrapping or mucus.

Got scared

Started raw Prey model - meaty bones meaty meat - slowly starting with organs and just ordered tripe. So I am all in here---

Here pools have been a lovely golden color odorles, and a bit crumbly--some one gave her a cookie yesterday and she had a diareah today--I am very much again wheat germ or what ever thing they used.

So is this golden mean to much bone? Do I need more meaty meat to get it browner?

some on sliped in a patty the other day two and she has a white poo

I am off patty's for good now and not letting anyone give her anything I don't want her to have

I love this deit for her--she loves it--even eats her organ meat with no problem and ate fish when she saw she had no choice. she just loves chicken thighs and goat bones etc.

I know this is LONG--- thanks for reading and all comments welcome and looked forword to.

Mel

I think you've already figured out that commercial food is not what you are looking for. the best you can offer your dog is the Barf diet. I've always made my own , my vet knows what goes in it and most of all so do I so I know how well balanced the meals I feed are. No poop should be encased in mucus. I prefer making my own dog treats for the reason you mention above. I would never go back to any kind of commercial dog food again, especially at the rate it's being pulled off the shelves. When you serve your dog a meal think of a rabbit. In the wild, if your dog was to catch and eat a rabbit he would have consumed the best meal possible. The ratio of bone to meat is perfect and surprisingly enough the dogs will eat most of the fur as roughage. They get liver, intestines and contents, everything well balanced . I always keep this little gem in mind when preparing a meal, a trick my vet taught me.
Old May 28th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Chow Pei Rescue

Quote:
When you serve your dog a meal think of a rabbit. In the wild, if your dog was to catch and eat a rabbit he would have consumed the best meal possible
Too true. I always tell people that as well.
No matter how big or small the game, it only has one heart, two kidneys, one liver and heaps of meat.

MM
Old May 28th, 2009, 03:42 PM

thanks merilins hope etc

God my spelling in the last one was pathetic--anyway

Feed less bone and it got browner and not powdery--a part a little rasperry color, does not look like blood though--maybe marrow?

I am doing prey with an ounce of veg just to be sure--Is any one doing prey or or most people on BARF---???
Old May 28th, 2009, 03:48 PM

Merlins Hope web page?

is it up? I tried looking at it--no luck
Old May 29th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Chow Pei Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypie View Post
I am doing prey with an ounce of veg just to be sure--Is any one doing prey or or most people on BARF---???
Just to be sure of what???

The raspberry colour could be coming from vegetable matter. The key is that feces shouldn't be dry and powdery or white. It's also normal that the consistency will change or vary depending on type of meat fed.
We do prey model here by the way. The info on my page is working don't know why you can access it. Here's the link again
http://www.clubequestre.com/merlinsh...2_articleid=66
Old May 29th, 2009, 09:20 PM

Don't exactly know what you mean by prey but if we get rabbits from a hunter my dogs get that. When hunting season is on us they get venison. If you used beets in your veggie mix that's probably where the rasberry colour comes from. Another handy and readily available meal are chicken leg quarters that I get on sale. A variety keeps them happy.