Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old July 22nd, 2011, 06:29 AM

Attempt raw meat and bone.

Hello, I recently adopted an 8 week old kitten from a friend this is the first cat I ever owned and I know that most cat food sucks, I currently have home on blue wilderness and evo,
Iv been looking into making a raw meat and bone diet for him but I'm afraid he wont be getting every he needs.

First of all is it ok not to grind the meat and bone but instead cut into little pieces?

What are some nutrients and some other meats I should add?

I have a list of stuff I expect ill need but I'm sure their more that I'm missing.
can any one give me advise about how to portion and feed the following?
I can use all the help their is so please feel free to reply thanks.

Is it alright to feed things like pork and beef liver heart ect?

Meat , poultry: chicken leg and thigh quarters, brest, wing, gizzards, heart.
Duck leg thigh breast wing, gizzards, heart.
Quail leg thigh breast wings, gizzards, heart
Cornish hen leg thigh wing, gizzards, heart.

Meat , red meat: beaf (sirloin or stew beaf)
beef heart, pork heart, lamb heart , ground green tripe(if I can find green tripe)

bone, chicken thigh, wing, neck, breast, back ribs.
Duck thigh, wing, neck, breast, back, ribs.
Whole quail. Turkey....what is a good turkey bone?

Im going to cut the bone with scissors and leave meat on.

Organs, beef liver?, quale liver, duck liver, pork liver?, chicken liver.

some other meat I wouldn't be able to get my hands on like
Ostrch, rabbit, do I need?

As well as other organs like the spleen

Does any one have experience with feeding a diet like this that can help me?

Last edited by Kwilsonhb; July 23rd, 2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old July 24th, 2011, 05:43 AM

Maybe I'm asking the wrong questions our posting in the wrong forum seeing how nobody replys, dumb questions maybe?
Old July 24th, 2011, 06:43 AM
Senior Contributor

I only have a dog that detests raw meats, I'm sure one of the cat people will be along soon, its a bit quieter on weekends. wish I could help you.
Old July 24th, 2011, 06:49 AM
Senior Contributor

in the meantime, here are some older threads for you to read through.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....eding+raw+cats

and this section is all about raw feeding for cats and dogs.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64
Old August 28th, 2011, 03:16 PM

All of it!

I didn't see anything on your list you wouldn't want to feed a cat or dog.

My old alpha male (Al Cat) absolutely loved deer meat, specially the guts and skin. He was all up under the carcass while Dad skinned the deer. He was worse than the dogs getting blood all over him! Bwahahaha. So adorable.

He also loved any kind of fish (usually catfish, brim, and maybe bass) and shrimp (oh he loved some shrimp tails and shells).

The only thing I've never given a cat is a large bone. I give the dogs the large bones and the cats the smaller ones.

But I will say I'm not a "follower" of the "raw" diet. I thought all people fed their dogs and cats raw meats until I met my college roommate.

Feeding my animals raw foods and scraps is part of my upbringing. Never had an animal turn down scraps or raw meats. And they all have the prettiest coats you ever did see and have lived for years at time and as outdoor animals at that. I know cats are said to have shorter lives if they live outdoors, but Al Cat and Molly lived to 10 to 12 years apiece. Now I have had cats leave on their own, but that has to do with neutering/spraying, which I don't do.

Good luck, your baby will be licking his lips and begging for more.
Old August 29th, 2011, 10:53 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Kwilsonhb - If you come back please go to www.catinfo.org. There you will find tons of information for feeding your cat the optimal diet for them. The only bone cats should have are ones that are small and easily ground. It is important you feed the cats foods rich in taurine or add taurine to the raw diet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoodsgal View Post
I didn't see anything on your list you wouldn't want to feed a cat or dog.

My old alpha male (Al Cat) absolutely loved deer meat, specially the guts and skin. He was all up under the carcass while Dad skinned the deer. He was worse than the dogs getting blood all over him! Bwahahaha. So adorable.

He also loved any kind of fish (usually catfish, brim, and maybe bass) and shrimp (oh he loved some shrimp tails and shells).

The only thing I've never given a cat is a large bone. I give the dogs the large bones and the cats the smaller ones.

But I will say I'm not a "follower" of the "raw" diet. I thought all people fed their dogs and cats raw meats until I met my college roommate.

Feeding my animals raw foods and scraps is part of my upbringing. Never had an animal turn down scraps or raw meats. And they all have the prettiest coats you ever did see and have lived for years at time and as outdoor animals at that. I know cats are said to have shorter lives if they live outdoors, but Al Cat and Molly lived to 10 to 12 years apiece. Now I have had cats leave on their own, but that has to do with neutering/spraying, which I don't do.

Good luck, your baby will be licking his lips and begging for more.
FYI - 10 to 12 years for a cat is not that long. If fed a healthy diet and kept safe from dangers cats can and do live into their 20s. It seems from other posts I've read of yours you have issues with cars and your cats.

Now I have had cats leave on their own, but that has to do with neutering/spraying, which I don't do.

This comment confuses me. Are you saying you won't neuter your cats? And I am assuming that by "spraying" you mean "spaying"? Could you tell me why you won't neuter your animals? I'm totally confused.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old August 29th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree with 14+, 10 years old is barely middle-aged. Way too young for a cat to die. One concern I have is how unbalanced your meat "scraps" are. I guess since you're talking about outdoor cats, they're likely (hopefully) eating plenty of mice to get the proper ratio of nutrients (calcium to phosphorus in particular). Otherwise you really need to pay more attention to the meat/bone/organ proportions. Unlike dogs, who are much more flexible when it comes to nutrition, cats have very specific requirements with little room for error.

As for not neutering, well I hope you spend some time on this message board and change your tune in time to help your new cat, Jack. Maybe he'll even manage to survive into his golden years.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old August 29th, 2011, 01:30 PM

Jack is a girl.

And just to clarify, only two of my cats have died from the road. One of them 11 to12 yrs. Now maybe one or two have been backed over as kittens, but accidents happen.

Only two have died for medical reasons. We don't know what those were as the sicknesses took one within minutes and the other within a few hours. No time for a vet even if we could afford one.

I do not fix my cats because it's extra money I do not have nor do my parents. And I just prefer not to. If my boys leave, then they leave. My dad has saw them around from time to time, so some still live and are buff mocho men now.

Where I live no one without door cats has them live and at home into the twenties unless it's a big rough male. People prefer dogs or shoot/run over cats for sport. I'm lucky to be off the main road and tucked into woods where cars weren't a big issue until the boys down the road got trucks.

Just to note, I never give my cats big bones. Nor do my dogs get small bones.

And I will admit as far as animal values go, I do have an older fashion way of thinking. My animals are happy and rarely show signs of sickness. That is what matters to me. They keep the rodents, moles, lizards, and birds under control as nature intended. And I have watched them eat a good many. They know how to survive; I think that's how animals were meant to be raised so if anything happens to us, they will be alright.
Old August 29th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG,all I can say....poor kittens,poor cats....seems they have no value where you live.
I know you might not like our way of thinking,but my cats have all meant an awful lot to me and here we do what is best for them,including spay/neuter...keeping them safe from dangers,although no-one here shoots cats for sport,or run them over for fun(at least I hope so).
Why do you get more cats,when it is almost certain they will have an untimely death???
Not to forget all the kittens that are born outside somewhere...
Sorrybut the last post really got to me.
Old August 29th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I do not fix my cats because it's extra money I do not have nor do my parents.
Please check this link for low or no-cost spay/neuter options. Not being able to afford it isn't a valid excuse anymore.

Quote:
And I just prefer not to. If my boys leave, then they leave. My dad has saw them around from time to time, so some still live and are buff mocho men now.
Perhaps you're blissfully unaware of the staggering cat overpopulation and the millions (MILLIONS!!!!!!) that are killed every year in shelters. And it sounds like those are the lucky ones in your area. Your attitude is one of the biggest obstacles that people involved in rescue are trying to overcome. Do society and yourself, and most of all your cats, a favour by researching this topic further. Be part of the change for the better in your community. Just because it's the way it's always been done, doesn't mean it has to continue down this tragic path.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old August 30th, 2011, 07:24 AM

If you want to address my actions and values, please make a thread or PM me. I know the mods are getting annoyed with this kind of thing.

BUMP

--Back to the original topic.